Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its looking like I might be in the market for a new bike next year. I started looking the other day at all of the Cruiser style offerings from all the different manufactures. There are only 2 manufactures that have a "Big block" offering in the sub 20k price range. Kawasaki with there Vaquearo and Susuki with the m109. It looks like yamaha has done away with all there Cruiser line as far as I can tell and Honda only has the 1300 which in my openion should be far more capable then it is. Damn these Melinials and their Texting! Sorry I just had to get it out there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does it have to be new.... plenty of used 18s out there with low miles. If you want one, get one.
They’ll never bring it back.
That thought has crossed my mind but I've been having so many issues with my bike I'm worried about what I might run into if get the wrong bike.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
my opinion,

once a bike is mistreated.. it's Not Likely to be a real good dependable machine..

9 bikes.. 7 were New... for a very good Reason.

owners with no respect for there machines..

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have bought 3 low mile used Honda bikes that were 2-3 years old. All three from dealers that have been around. They know what to look for and do go over them pertly good. I doubt they would jeopardize their reputation over the sale of a used bike. May be I was just lucky.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Dealers also mark the plugs serviced.but When I get home I changed the change the oil, filter and rear drive fluids. If the condition and level of the brake fluid's and coolant are O.K. I am happy.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I have bought 3 low mile used Honda bikes that were 2-3 years old. All three from dealers that have been around. They know what to look for and do go over them pertly good. I doubt they would jeopardize their reputation over the sale of a used bike. May be I was just lucky.

I worked at a Honda dealership.. for years.

YOU WERE LUCKY...

trade-ins... fix or hide everything wrong..TODAY.
possible problems next month is the new owners issue.

reputation.. is the result of the discount on new bikes... not service.
$100. per hour.. mechanic is lucky to get $20...

my opinion.

I do not trust a new bike.. I go over everything short of pulling an engine.
used.. not me. unless I get it for a "Project"

yes... I did re-torque the steering head bearings.. at 36 miles.... and they were loose.
the ride home from the dealer was 32 miles...

new.. are safe.. but not correct... nothing like the service manual calls for.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Yami still makes the Star Eluder tourer but it starts at $22.5 and the Star Venture full Tourer at $24.5

Maybe look at one used?

The problem I see with the Venture (1850cc and look like a good set up) is that I bet they discontinue it due to poor sales and then resale is shot. Hence, maybe look at a usedone?

The Vaquero has been around for a few years and likely doesn't share the same fate. There seems to be a lot more Kawi riders than Yami....

The M109 isn't remotely in the same category as these other two (ot the VTX 1800). It's killer fast more of a boulevard cruiser, not near as comfortable or customizable imo....buddy has one.

I'm glad I'm not in the market because there's zero in the market that interests me as much as what I'm riding. My brother in law rides a brand new BMW that's worth 4X what my X is worth and he gets zero questions about his bike when we stop for gas ro a drink while I regularly get them:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a couple of M109Rs and because I am tall with long arms and legs, the Nines are more comfortable for me than my VTXs. I have bought many used motorcycles (mostly Hondas) and every one has been a fine bike with no serious issues. When you buy used, you are taking a chance, but each bike I bought had relatively low mileage and looked like it had been taken care of. I don't think one of them had maintenance records, but they do now.

The M109Rs have a better lean angle that my VTXs with floorboards.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That's what I want the Eluder black on black....

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is also that Yamaha Raider which is a 1900 CC displacement.
A buddy of mine has one of these and is quite happy with it. It's more expensive than them VTX as I understand it.
Are other good Cruisers out there with big engine displacement but hands down the VTX is the best value you get. For me personally this bike is a keeper.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Ever consider going outside the traditional "Metric Cruiser"?

Than new Indian Chief "Dark Horse" is one sexy bike! In the right price range too!

Their Scouts are pretty foxy too. Not quite a "big block", but they're still said to go like hell!

there are a few VTX owners.. that have Indians....

down here the few Indians running around... leak.. engine and fork oil..
not a lot of oil .. but still !!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there are a few VTX owners.. that have Indians....

down here the few Indians running around... leak.. engine and fork oil..
not a lot of oil .. but still !!
I wasn't aware of the leaking issues. But I have been considering them. I really wish they were still making the victorys because they were more my style.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I wasn't aware of the leaking issues. But I have been considering them. I really wish they were still making the victorys because they were more my style.

in 2004,, I was looking for a new bike.... wife stopped riding with me.. no longer needed a Goldwing

came down to

Victory Hammer
Honda VTX1800F......

the Hammer was delayed going into production by 9 months..

I was not waiting
I only had to wait 2 months for the New "F" to go into production..
reason I say .. I have one of the First "F" made..
assembled in Ohio.. I lived in Ohio..
rear fender production issues caused a 30 day delay in production.

knowing a dealership owner helps..

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I worked at a Honda dealership.. for years.

YOU WERE LUCKY...

trade-ins... fix or hide everything wrong..TODAY.
possible problems next month is the new owners issue.

reputation.. is the result of the discount on new bikes... not service.
$100. per hour.. mechanic is lucky to get $20...

my opinion.

I do not trust a new bike.. I go over everything short of pulling an engine.
used.. not me. unless I get it for a "Project"

yes... I did re-torque the steering head bearings.. at 36 miles.... and they were loose.
the ride home from the dealer was 32 miles...

new.. are safe.. but not correct... nothing like the service manual calls for.

I guess I was very fortunate when I found mine at the dealer. They've been around for a long time, but the bike only had 525 miles on her, so I figured there couldn't have been TOO much damage done, since the bike was already 7 years old. Averaged about 80 miles each year!!! She just turned over 9,000 now, so I've still got more miles left in her than I've probably got in myself!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Avoid the Scout. I wish I hadn’t bought mine. It looks great and is fast but the tank is shallow and I’ve had a lot of issues with it. If you have to get a Victory though you can still find them at Indian dealerships now and again. They are not all sold out just yet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts