Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped to get gas tonight on the way home from Madison. Bike was running beautifully, filled the tank and when I tried starting it nothing...zero...zip. I thought maybe the kickstand wasn't up and switch engaged....nope that is good. Headlight is also not coming on. Driving lights come on, but when I hit the high beams they don't shut off. Thinking its a relay...but any ideas which one.

ANY IDEAS are appreciated....thanks in advance

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks going to check this tonight
It is your starter switch. I had the same problem last year coming home from the MMR. Stopped in the Dells for breakfast and when I tried to start it - nothing! There was power to everything else except the headlight and starter. After trying a dozen times the starter engaged and off we went. The headlight is wired directly off of the starter switch (Blue/White stripped wire) through your headlight highbeam switch so when you start the bike it cuts power to the headlight to give the starter as much juice as possibly. So, if your headlight is not coming on and the light isn't burned out, plus no juice to the starter/solenoid, than the switch is the culprit. I just ended up replacing my switch which means you have to replace the whole housing - not cheap! Try cleaning it first.

Rob K

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How old is your battery? I had similar problems last year....lights, everything works, but nothing on the starter. (this is after I hooked the battery to a charger overnight) Was ready to clean/replace switch. Then I talked to someone at Southeast and they told me this could be the battery...that everything will work, but if there is not enough voltage/current the starter won't turn AT ALL. Replaced battery with glass matt unit from Fleet Farm for $80 and all is good to go. If you battery is more than 3-4 yrs old, maybe try this first.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is your starter switch. I had the same problem last year coming home from the MMR. Stopped in the Dells for breakfast and when I tried to start it - nothing! There was power to everything else except the headlight and starter. After trying a dozen times the starter engaged and off we went. The headlight is wired directly off of the starter switch (Blue/White stripped wire) through your headlight highbeam switch so when you start the bike it cuts power to the headlight to give the starter as much juice as possibly. So, if your headlight is not coming on and the light isn't burned out, plus no juice to the starter/solenoid, than the switch is the culprit. I just ended up replacing my switch which means you have to replace the whole housing - not cheap! Try cleaning it first.

Rob K
Thanks....that was what I thought. Couldn't get to it last night, but I am planning on tonight.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How old is your battery? I had similar problems last year....lights, everything works, but nothing on the starter. (this is after I hooked the battery to a charger overnight) Was ready to clean/replace switch. Then I talked to someone at Southeast and they told me this could be the battery...that everything will work, but if there is not enough voltage/current the starter won't turn AT ALL. Replaced battery with glass matt unit from Fleet Farm for $80 and all is good to go. If you battery is more than 3-4 yrs old, maybe try this first.
Thanks Taffer.....replaced the battery last year and I have good voltage so I'm leaning towards the switch

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tim,
there is two large fuses under the left side cover. large wires going to it with fuse inside white cover. I had this happen once. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Under left side cover there is the starter relay. Behind the relay is a white plug with red wires. Pull plug apart and see if anything is burnt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts