Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a 2004 VTX 1300C. Don't know squat about working on bikes, parts, and how they work together. I know how to ride and I have good taste when it comes to what looks good. Not a good combination. My bike has a 170 tire on a 15 inch rim (I think the standard). I want to get as wide of a tire as I can without changing the swingarm with a bigger rim. Maybe an 18 inch rim with a low profile tire. Can I do this without making any other changes to the bike? Is a simple swap?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
:congrats: & welcome. The answer to you question is yes. You can get an 1800C wheel which is wider & taller(16 inch) its called the foot mod.

·
Registered
479 Posts
how far I know you may have to change your will for 1800 rear wheel and you will be able to mount 200 tire on it. (it's called FOOTS MOD and you can also search on the board for this)
second option is DS (dark side also search on the board) and you will be able to put car tire on your bike, depends which one do you have you may or may not need to seal your rear wheel.

Hope this help.

Personally, I run DS general grabber uhp 205/70/15 on the bike for past 5.5K miles on it and love it.

Sincerely,

DIno

I am a new owner of a 2004 VTX 1300C. Don't know squat about working on bikes, parts, and how they work together. I know how to ride and I have good taste when it comes to what looks good. Not a good combination. My bike has a 170 tire on a 15 inch rim (I think the standard). I want to get as wide of a tire as I can without changing the swingarm with a bigger rim. Maybe an 18 inch rim with a low profile tire. Can I do this without making any other changes to the bike? Is a simple swap?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how wide of a tire can you squeeze into a standard 1300c swingarm? The heighth, I would assume is just a matter of just keeping from scrubbing the fender right?

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
So how wide of a tire can you squeeze into a standard 1300c swingarm? The heighth, I would assume is just a matter of just keeping from scrubbing the fender right?
200 MC tire.

·
Registered
615 Posts
As has been said here, best option is to go with the Foot's mod. 1800 rear wheels can be found pretty easily. You will also need to do something with the rear brake, which hasn't been mentioned yet. The issue is the rotor of the 1800 rear is larger than the 1300.
This can be remedied in 2 ways: get the rotor (if didn't come with wheel), caliper and bracket for the 1800, or the go easier route, get a slapped up rotor from Hick. He takes the 1300 rotor, removes the excess material in the center and re-drills it to fit the 1800 wheel.
New caliper and bracket route will run you around $150ish? while Slap Jack rotor is $75. I went with the slapjack route and it works very well.
Hick is a great guy to deal with and seemingly ships your stuff the day before you order it it gets there so fast.

·
Registered
591 Posts
OK, since no one else will, I will open the can of worms which we call the darkside. Put a car tire on it!!!:lol:

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
OK, since no one else will, I will open the can of worms which we call the darkside. Put a car tire on it!!!:lol:

I'll go there with you!
GoodYear Assurance TripleTred 205/70R15 mounted on an 07 1300c wheel and stuffed under the back end of my 06 1300s and I have since swapped out the Final Drive for one from a 07 1800 - the combination WORKS GREAT! It’ll pull the front end off the ground in 1st and 2nd and surprises everyone that doesn’t know what I’ve done.
And Yes, it will hang in there with anyone on the twisties… I drag hard parts long before I can get over on the edge of the tire

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'll go there with you!
GoodYear Assurance TripleTred 205/70R15 mounted on an 07 1300c wheel and stuffed under the back end of my 06 1300s and I have since swapped out the Final Drive for one from a 07 1800 - the combination WORKS GREAT! It’ll pull the front end off the ground in 1st and 2nd and surprises everyone that doesn’t know what I’ve done.
And Yes, it will hang in there with anyone on the twisties… I drag hard parts long before I can get over on the edge of the tire
I've been waiting to find a 1300 guy that wants to swap final drives, haven't gotten lucky yet though. Although DaveMack left his bike in my garage for a few days and it was mighty tempting!!:D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts