Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where exactly is the idle adjustment screw and is there any problem with setting it low so the engine has that"about to die" sound??

i know it is on a side just below the seat, i think...

G

·
0 Posts
Behind the breather. Its about 6 inches above your runing board on the right side while you are there take the cap out of the hose next to it and drain any debris that might be in it. Its part of regular maint.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
It is just below your breather, a little black nob hanging down there. I was told you can crank it down as low as you want, wont hurt a thing. Problem is, you have to wait till your bike is at operating temp every time before it will idle there without dying.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
catmaster1300 said:
where exactly is the idle adjustment screw and is there any problem with setting it low so the engine has that"about to die" sound??

i know it is on a side just below the seat, i think...
It's mid ways hanging below the air box.........

If you adjust the idle TOO LOW your engine will not oil up properly! If you don't believe me then adjust it way down & watch the oil light come on :shock: ....... :D Rod

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you adjust the idle TOO LOW your engine will not oil up properly! If you don't believe me then adjust it way down & watch the oil light come on ....... Rod
Rod, your exactlly right about turning it down to low, oil pressure drops to the point that not enought oil is pumped thru the crank to maintain proper flow to keep the rod bearings "floating" on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
I've turned mine down to a nice slow lop . No oil light , no worries.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've had mine turned down quite a bit below dealer settings since I drilled my pipes. I've set it to the point where I can blip the throttle quickly a few times without it stalling once it's warmed up. I never see the oil pressure light come on though which suits me just fine. When the bike is cold, it will stall if I shut off the choke completely and don't rotate the throttle a little. I just switched to synthetic oil yesterday and it now idles smoother. Tonight it did idle with no choke after having sat for a couple hours. It was the slowest I've ever heard it run when cold without stalling. Still no oil light which is fine by me. Sounds awesome when it gets to that point of appearing like it's gonna die at any second but just keeps chugging along. Also noticed my saddlebags are virtually motionless now at idle since switching to synthetic so it must be turning over more easily.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have had mine cranked down as low as I could and have it still running with no oil light on, but it is possible that not every switch is set with the exact same value. At idle speed the engine only needs about 7psi of oil pressure. I think most switchs are set around 8-12 value.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input - i think i will crank it down some...

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
That's what I do......turn it up a little at start up cold. A few lights down the road and I reach under the Hypercharger and turn it down to a slow lope. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts