Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
The Thank a Veteran sentiment is the only one that makes sense to me. I don't typically thank people who do something for me that I pay for.

People however that do services that risk their lives, (something no amount of money can pay for) I make sure they know I'm thankful (servicemen and first responders).

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
The Thank a Veteran sentiment is the only one that makes sense to me. I don't typically thank people who do something for me that I pay for.

People however that do services that risk their lives, (something no amount of money can pay for) I make sure they know I'm thankful (servicemen and first responders).
I read somewhere recently that the rate of suicide among American farmers is going through the roof. I'd say they're making sacrifices. Not on a par or quite the same thing as a soldier, but like good teachers our farmers don't get paid enough for what they do. I appreciate them for that.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Would you not thank a policeman too if you are going to thank a veteran?
A police officer is a first responder. Re-read my last post.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
I read somewhere recently that the rate of suicide among American farmers is going through the roof. I'd say they're making sacrifices. Not on a par or quite the same thing as a soldier, but like good teachers our farmers don't get paid enough for what they do. I appreciate them for that.
I thank airline staff, pilots and attendants when I exit the plane. I thank wait staff when I am served. Recently in Vegas I thanked the chamber maid with a $25 table chip. She was awesome and very nice to us, and we stayed the whole week, so aside from the tip left on the last day, I tipped her mid week. I thanked the dealers at the tables, and thanked the refreshment girls. I thanked the cashier when I cashed in my chips, and thanked the desk staff when I checked out. I thanked the chef at Anthony's for an amazing meal. Thanked the bar tender for fixing me a drink. I thanked the valet. Come to think about it, all of these people I paid for their services, and thanked every one of them for their services, because the service was great. I wonder if the service is just as good for the people who are so entitled that they do not feel it necessary to thank those that serve them? I wonder if those people are happy in their entitlement, or if thanking someone to make them feel productive is .. ie. making someone else feel good about themselves, somehow threatens their entitlement. Are these people so beneath us that we needn't thank them for a paid for service?

People are people, not machines, and want to be appreciated. This often comes in the form of civility and courtesy, often out of fashion these days I fear. It's not a difficult thing, or even requires much effort. The alternative is a dark future indeed.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I'm amused at reading people confusing the concept of being thankful towards groups of people (i.e. truckers and farmers) with personally saying "thank you." I suppose RBS and Harkon can't pass a truck stop without literally telling all the truckers they are thankful for the food. :rolleyes:

If you walk up to a farmer and say, "Gee thanks for growing that food to put on my table" he'll likely think you're a crazy person.

Where I work I support manufacturing of space gear that allows your GPS devices to work. YOU'RE WELCOME!

While we all should let others know we appreciate when they do something for us, it can be presumptive and self-absorbed to think a farmer literally gives a rat about you and the food on your table, or that the trucker is trucking to put food on your table. Trust me, he's trucking to put food on HIS table.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
I am amused that someone would see the meme and think it meant that one would physically seek out a farmer or a trucker and personally thank them. The point was thankfulness, not physically thanking. Please, let's not insult one another. Nevertheless.

You said ... and I quote;
HOP said:
I don't typically thank people who do something for me that I pay for.
Now how else would one conceptualize that other than you typically do not thank people who provide a service you paid for? Some kinda self absorbed and entitled is such a position. Like service people are beneath your contempt, right?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I am amused that someone would see the meme and think it meant that one would physically seek out a farmer or a trucker and personally thank them. The point was thankfulness, not physically thanking. Please, let's not insult one another. Nevertheless.

You said ... and I quote;

Now how else would one conceptualize that other than you typically do not thank people who provide a service you paid for? Some kinda self absorbed and entitled is such a position. Like service people are beneath your contempt, right?

I already explained what I meant. My first saying I don't typically thank people bla, bla bla was in response to the meme/image so "people" meant the groups indicated—not actual individuals. How are you confused about my meaning? I'm not thankful to the GROUPS indicated except for vets.

Since you seem to be trying your best to find some fault with me personally, I'm sorry to report that I 'RELIGIOUSLY' thank anyone who does me a personal favor, especially when I didn't ask them for it. I rarely pay service people to do things for me, but when I do I typically leave them a generous tip as my thanks and if the service was exceptional I make sure they know it.

If you want to fault me, fault me because I don't feel especially thankful for truck drivers or farmers any more than I feel thankful for anybody else in the LONG chain of workers who process my food and enforce laws so it's edible. Applying the 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' principal, I don't expect or even want people to thank me for simply doing a job I'm paid to do.

If you do something you've convinced yourself is being nice to people (e.g. waving at bikers, smiling at every stranger you pass) GOOD FOR YOU, but realize that criticizing others for not doing the same is yet another form of the type of contempt (you're better than) you'd place on me.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
I already explained what I meant. My first saying I don't typically thank people bla, bla bla was in response to the meme/image so "people" meant the groups indicated—not actual individuals. How are you confused about my meaning? I'm not thankful to the GROUPS indicated except for vets.

Since you seem to be trying your best to find some fault with me personally, I'm sorry to report that I 'RELIGIOUSLY' thank anyone who does me a personal favor, especially when I didn't ask them for it. I rarely pay service people to do things for me, but when I do I typically leave them a generous tip as my thanks and if the service was exceptional I make sure they know it.

If you want to fault me, fault me because I don't feel especially thankful for truck drivers or farmers any more than I feel thankful for anybody else in the LONG chain of workers who process my food and enforce laws so it's edible. Applying the 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' principal, I don't expect or even want people to thank me for simply doing a job I'm paid to do.

If you do something you've convinced yourself is being nice to people (e.g. waving at bikers, smiling at every stranger you pass) GOOD FOR YOU, but realize that criticizing others for not doing the same is yet another form of the type of contempt (you're better than) you'd place on me.
I did not first reply to you, but to VTOX, illustrating, for me, the importance of thanking those in service positions. In most ways, most of us are in service positions in one way or another, so it's important. I only criticized what you said, you don't need me to quote it again do you? Your failure to accurately articulate your intention is not a misgiving on my part. It was not an inference, but rather a direct reading of your dialog.

You can go though life angry, don't make me no nevermind. I don't care if you wave and don't care if you smile. I somehow suspect you don't smile enough. I do suppose you are right though. I do have some contempt for people who do not observe, at least a civil level of courtesy. And yes, I defnine that for myself. If you do, then great, no contempt here, other than what you feel by inference. If you don't, well then you'd be a part of the problem and not the solution IMO. Either way, all I said is that not thanking peole who serve you, even though you paid for said service is discourteous. That's all. If you feel any guilt there, then maybe there's more to this than you are sharing. If not, then the air is clear and you've corrected for the record. But, don't go barking at me because I read what you typed. If it's not what you meant, then you clear it up, like a man. Own it, don't deflect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts