Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys show your smarts. What can be done to the ignition so that after you start you can remove the key. What is holding the key in the switch? 1300s.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
mike149 said:
OK guys show your smarts. What can be done to the ignition so that after you start you can remove the key. What is holding the key in the switch? 1300s.
The same thing that holds your car or truck in the switch.Why would you want to remove the key after it starts? :? If you then killed the engine the lights would remain on & kill the battery! :shock: You COULD replace the switch with a simple WIRED switch with NO key; or hide the switch under a side panel & use a remote to turn on and start bike.This has been done by a member here............. :D Rod

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have done two things.

First, I had the ignition key and all my other key on a carabeaner, so when I ride I just remove the key and all that is in the ignition is the key and the round thing and it won't damage the bike.

Now, I have remote ignition and starter. So I basically only use the key for the helmet and fork lock and can turn on the bike with a button. The Carabeaner thing worked very well for me for a long time though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ignition

Golly Rodsx I hope I didn't make you mad.... That was a well thought out answer. "the same thing that holds all the others" Duh! I carry a lot of keys in my job and I am tired of having to remove the bike key from the ring so I do not scratch up my bike. If you check out some of the higher priced Bikes I think you will find that some of them have this ability. I rode with a guy once several years ago that had an ignition that you could start and then shut off the bike without the key, but you needed the key to restart it again. Sorry about my stupid question.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Re: ignition

mike149 said:
Golly Rodsx I hope I didn't make you mad.... That was a well thought out answer. "the same thing that holds all the others" Duh! I carry a lot of keys in my job and I am tired of having to remove the bike key from the ring so I do not scratch up my bike. If you check out some of the higher priced Bikes I think you will find that some of them have this ability. I rode with a guy once several years ago that had an ignition that you could start and then shut off the bike without the key, but you needed the key to restart it again. Sorry about my stupid question.
Hey Dude! You didn't make me mad at all & there are NO stupid questions here! We are all friends here! I just did not know your reason. To get it to work like the "other" bikes you are talking about would most likely require some added electronics that would have to be made. Your best bet would be to re mount switch behind the side plate(for back up) & add remote starting;that way you could keep your key in pocket in case the remote failed due to battery ect. check this out; http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... e+starting ..........hope my limited knowledge on this subject helped some......... :D Rod

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Honda key isn't much bigger than a quarter so I just carry it in my change pocket with the rest of my coins. When it's used to start the bike and left there in the ignition it's hardly noticable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: ignition

RODS X said:
Hey Dude! You didn't make me mad at all...
Rod is from Cocke Co. TN. You DON'T want to make him mad. :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ignition

I don't know about you guys but I have to have two key rings so I can take the bike one off of the large ring. This has caused me to go home several times without my large key ring (like my house keys) If I only had one ring and I needed it to start my bike than I could not forget it. By the way one of my customers just bought a brand new corvet and it does not have a place to put a key in the ignition. You carry the sender in you pocket or on a ring and when you get within about 3 feet of the car the doors unlock. When you get in you just hit the starter button. If you do not have the sender nothing will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts