Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went into "semi" retirement, I thought I would have all the time in the world. Lots of time to ride,,, make posts on these sites,,, etc, etc. Well, my handyman business has taken off like I would have never imagined. Instead of just me working on small projects, my son now works for me full-time, and I just recently brought on another gentleman, who was between jobs and asked if we could use some help. He has worked out so well that he is now with me full-time as well. Some I am now a business owner, with a staff of two (besides myself), and try to make sure we are booked far enough ahead to keep the schedule full. Can't complain though. It's nice calling the shots (again),, having my son working with me every day,, and being able to provide a living for 3 people.
But I have promised myself to start letting them do some of the work on their own, while I spend more time bidding jobs and setting things up. They aren't "young" men - 46 & 40,,, but compared to my 64, they are just kids!!!
If you have an interest, check out our website - MaintenanceAlternatives.com,,,, and you'll see what we're all about.
I promise I'll be on her more regularly now.

·
Old Goat
24,433 Posts
Congrats and best of luck with it....after a 30 year stint with Sears I fired myself in 1998 and started a similar business....found it very rewarding....but when 62 rolled around took early SSI.....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
I need a fence stained and a driveway recoated. Interested in traveling to Canada? Just joking, but there is a real need for such services around here. Maybe this summer with the oil industry in the tank, we'll see some startups.

Good for you, BTW. This is what the American dream is all about.

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
Welcome back! Working full-time? Have time to ride the X?

I looked at your link, one picture has a problem. Safety issue!
Someone standing on the top of the ladder cleaning/repairing a gutter.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm glad you've reached the point of having to redefine your role. Gotta feel good!

You can always ride to bid the jobs . . roofing just guess.:smile2:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats and best of luck with it....after a 30 year stint with Sears I fired myself in 1998 and started a similar business....found it very rewarding....but when 62 rolled around took early SSI.....:thumbup:
I will be 65 in February. Will start drawing in 2021. I can do this until then. After that, I will give it to my son and work part-time for him.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need a fence stained and a driveway recoated. Interested in traveling to Canada? Just joking, but there is a real need for such services around here. Maybe this summer with the oil industry in the tank, we'll see some startups.

Good for you, BTW. This is what the American dream is all about.
Tell you what!!! You pay travel time and lodging and we will take care of both...

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome back! Working full-time? Have time to ride the X?

I looked at your link, one picture has a problem. Safety issue!
Someone standing on the top of the ladder cleaning/repairing a gutter.
LOL... You are the first one to catch that. We did that on purpose, but NOBODY has caught it. FYI ... it was A 4’ ladder and we were Standing on both sides, just out of the frame. Congrats on being the first.

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Tell you what!!! You pay travel time and lodging and we will take care of both...
I'm tempted. Maybe we could rent you a bike and log some miles while you're here ... Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts