Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first mods I did to my brand new VTX1300 was of course new pipes. I don't even remember the brand now but they look great and sounded just how I wanted. That was 10 years ago. Today I rode it without ear plugs for the first time and I have to admit I didn't care for the loud sound anymore. May be I am getting old or just outgrown it. What's the point? I now prefer something a purposeful purr. Did not like the stock pipes on looks alone so I am not going back to them. Do they make aftermarket quiet pipes?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
How sad , I too am getting too old for noisy pipes. Guess I will just have to pull the crochet rug up a bit higher, set the rocking chair to "slow mode" and spark up the corn cob pipe.

·
Registered
36,155 Posts
Depending on the pipes, you may be able to buy Quiet Baffles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
One of the first mods I did to my brand new VTX1300 was of course new pipes. I don't even remember the brand now but they look great and sounded just how I wanted. That was 10 years ago. Today I rode it without ear plugs for the first time and I have to admit I didn't care for the loud sound anymore. May be I am getting old or just outgrown it. What's the point? I now prefer something a purposeful purr. Did not like the stock pipes on looks alone so I am not going back to them. Do they make aftermarket quiet pipes?
Freedom Performance makes a good product for several Honda Models including the VTX's. I put on the 2 into 1 and really like them. They have 2 different interchangable choices for baffles. The purr "Quiet" and rumble 'Loud". I have both baffles, and like both. The "loud" baffle comes standard. They were too loud at first, so I ordered the quiet baffle. When I pulled the loud baffle, I found it was poorly packed, so I repacked it and the sound was reduced by 30% ?? approx.. I liked it. I also tried the quiet baffle and like it as well.
Here is a link.

Good luck.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had a Hard Krome full exhaust and jet kit put on when my bike was new. The pipes were awesome and made a Honda sound like a custom bike. For the first few years it was fun, I really enjoyed the extra sound. Then over time it started to hit me and I grew tired of the noise. In the later part of 2009 I decided to go back to the stock exhaust and jetting. As I got older I think I just wanted a quite bike when on motorcycle rides.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Add a baffle. I added a lollipop device in my HK 2.5 Classic.
HK 2.5 have a welded in spiral flow disruption so had placed a short length of
thin wall pipe into spiral section to keep from breaking the one bolt on the tab.
Rpockey added a sink strainer and cross/washer on his HK3 pipes.
A two step sound reduction----and simple.
You may need two pieces of pipe to reduce the OD" if strainers too large.
Regular sink strainer or Bar sink strainer. You can stack a few it you want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Geez, we're all getting old and looking for more quiet? :)
I'm in that camp also though. I have the stock pipes on my 2008 and sticking with them. Just loud enough for me

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
or you could just keep using the ear plugs...😁

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Registered
947 Posts
I always ride with ear plugs, loud or quiet pipes. The wind noise alone is enough to keep plugs in my ears.

I do have a loud exhaust, and a loud stereo...

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
The Freedom Performance "quiet" baffle is the only aftermarket option I've ever heard of the advertises as quiet. I had a bike with custom straight pipes I made that I quieted down some with a 'lolly-pop' baffle, so that might be a cheap option. I bought some Freedom Performance pipes for my Yamaha Raider and they are too damn loud. They sound great, but they also are beyond what is tolerable for long rides. I plan to try adding lolly-pop baffles to see if it quiets them, and if not no big cost loss as they are made out of cheap fastener hardware.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yeah, I think the 'loud' is something we all start to get over at some point. I have some kind of 'Bubs?' on my 18C. It's been so long since I bought them (5/05) I hardly remember, but they have some small baffles in them. Still damn loud though. I wear earplugs every ride. 50 years of working on machinery I have ear ringing. The plugs prevent making it worse.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
not me, looking for louder. I want the cage monkeys to hear me.. because they damn sure don't see me.

Reactions: lofty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check out smartpartz quiet baffles. Just add to your pipes. Keep the look and makes them quite a bit quieter. Had some on my hardkrome big 3 inch straights, made them too quiet for my taste, but kept them in case I ever get to that point.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Not to get off subject but does anyone know if BUBB still makes pipes and where can I get a set?
not sure, but my bubs chambermaids will be up for sale shortly, just received my new pipes today.. nothing wrong with mine, just changing up the look.

·
Registered
13 Posts
not sure, but my bubs chambermaids will be up for sale shortly, just received my new pipes today.. nothing wrong with mine, just changing up the look.
Thanks/ got a set of Vance & Hines Longshots on My 1800N with the baffles out but the BUBBS sounded better in My opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out smartpartz quiet baffles. Just add to your pipes. Keep the look and makes them quite a bit quieter. Had some on my hardkrome big 3 inch straights, made them too quiet for my taste, but kept them in case I ever get to that point.
Is smartpartz still in business? I'm unable to find the site. I have 2 n 1 HK sideburners installed, has anybody purchased or made a suitable baffle for that pipe?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Lots of Harleys have super-loud annoying pipes which they like to display decibels with. Happens too often, and is annoying. My Goldwing answers with the soft /purr of a flat 6 ,which usually leave them in the dust on any kind of road I choose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts