Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think after living for 51 years I'd be smarter. But I decided last night to attach my chrome engine covers in a dimly lit garage after working a 14 hour day. Needless to say, when I looked at my handiwork this morning I've decided that 2 of the plates need to be redone. These covers come with double-sided tape that is designed for the curvature of the cover. All I have to replace the original tape is a roll of 3M double-sided tape. Before I remove the covers I thought I'd check. Has anyone reinstalled these covers with generic 3M tape? Any issues with the tape thickness as compared to the original tape? Any advice on coverage...small pieces around the circumference versus longer pieces crossing the diameter. This is the last time I want to be using Goo Gone and a putty knife on my bike!!!

Frankp

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Go to PepBoys or Autozone and get the 3M trim tape. It is much stronger than the standard 3M tape. They have it in 1/2" and 3/4" widths I believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice...got the trim tape...removed the covers, cleaned them up and reinstalled...all is well. It's been in the 70s and 80s the last week or so here in the heartland. Now the temperature is dropping. Predictions are for saturday highs in the 30s or 40s with 1 to 2" of snow saturday night...sigh :?
Frankp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts