Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
That is too weird. I was just thinking of this maybe 2 days ago. They do something similar to this on a board my wife goes to. If someone is ill or has a major setback, the rest of the members pool together their money, (whatever they can afford) send it to one specific member, then that member buys a card to fill out, and puts a money order in the card and mails it. The person that receives the money never knows exactly who the money came from. I think the idea is awesome. With the amount of members on this board, several small donations could add up quickly to help a downed rider. I'm in. I know, I would appreciate it if I was in need, and I won't miss it if I'm not in need. Keep me posted. We have 12062 members. If 10% of those, could put a quarter in, we could send someone over $300.00. Imagine if 50% send $1.00.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Im in!
but dont know the best way to do this, anyone with a masters in buisness got a good idea?.... thats leagal.
the offset for the deductable sure would help alot of people.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sounds good to me, Bruce. I'll give it a push to the top.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Exactly.

Anyway, my wife's group set it up on the honor system. They found someone they could thust, to send the money to. That person then gets one money order issued. If you change who handles the money each time, it will not affect one person's bank account very much, and thetax issue can be avoided. Hopefully, there will not be any question of one's intentions this way either. Just my $.02 . PM me when you are ready, as I know of at least one member that could use the help.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65878

·
Registered
161 Posts
It has worked before...

Alot of us came up to the VTX via the ACE 750. Many of us where members of the SA750.com (Strickly Ace 750) forum which is VERY similar to VTXOA (but for the ACE 750). ON a couple of occassions the guys and gals got together to toss a little money towards a member that had hit bad times. We did it by sending money to a PayPal account that a trusted member setup.
I really liked that idea (easy and quick) and eveyone was kept posted to the total amount being donated.

Thoughts on something like that (to make it easy to donate, and easy to distribute)?

Zlaneb

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Re: It has worked before...

zlaneb said:
Alot of us came up to the VTX via the ACE 750. Many of us where members of the SA750.com (Strickly Ace 750) forum which is VERY similar to VTXOA (but for the ACE 750). ON a couple of occassions the guys and gals got together to toss a little money towards a member that had hit bad times. We did it by sending money to a PayPal account that a trusted member setup.
I really liked that idea (easy and quick) and eveyone was kept posted to the total amount being donated.

Thoughts on something like that (to make it easy to donate, and easy to distribute)?

Zlaneb
This is the easiest way. The money is there quicker.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now this is more like it, on the general board only one reply, if the 1300 riders have to carry the torch then so be it. Now the paypal idea is a good one, but the person receiving would also have to have paypal. If the downed rider doesn't then I doubt that they would feel like going thru it from the hospital bed. I know I have one, but I've run in to some that don't. Just a thought, but if everyone (majority anyway) think paypal’s the way to go, cool.

Lets start throwing out names for the responsible person, now just my opinion here but I think it should be a well established board member, not necessarily the one with the most posts but someone that’s been around a while. Heres my suggestions:

Pöi§ön
GA Rainman
RobT
silvervtx04s
Georgiapeach
pepsX
TRHOD

Not necessarily in this order and not limited to these few, these were just off the top of my head. There are many others that I think would be trustworthy enough for this. I don’t want to hurt anyones feelings by not mentioning them here, this was just really quick. Also obviously they’d have to agree, I mean we’re all busy so for what ever reason someone may not want to do it.

I’m just throwing this out there to try and get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Riverside said:
What you're describing has a name:

Insurance Company.
Come on dude, there are things that insurance doesn't cover. I'll just stop there on this reply.

Peace.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pepsX said:
Im in!
but dont know the best way to do this, anyone with a masters in buisness got a good idea?.... thats leagal.
Wow, I'm just shocked that you'd be in on this :wink: you stingy [email protected]
:lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Attn: Hal

Well, what about this ... ?? ...

Since HDL is the sponsor for this site, maybe we could talk with Hal and see if they could add a link for such a cause.

I know that down here in Florida FPL (Florida Power and Light -- our electric service provider) has the "Care to Share Energy Fund" to help those in need. If you look at your FPL bill, its on the top right corner with bubbles to fill in for $1, $2, $5, $10, and "other".

When someone orders from HDL, at checkout there could be a button/option to add $$ to your order that would go to such a fund. By this being on the HDL site, the payment could be done secure and with a credit card, etc. That way, no Pay-Pal confusion or cuts/fees. Also, who else do we all really trust the most for such great business decisions on many of our products?? :lol: :lol: :lol: HDL
In addition, this could be set up so that a purchase of a product alone would not be necessary and merely a contribution could be made. Then HDL could send one check to the needy X member/family. There may have to be a cap on the max amount paid out through the fund so there are funds available for others in the future. However, additional funds could be sent from a contributor to HDL or directly to the X member/family in addition to the max payout when such contributions are so designated by the contributor (sort of like paying additional to the principal on a loan -- above and beyond).

This would do a few things. It would be more "trust worthy" for the skeptical folks who don't know the good people on this site, the validity of the process would be less suspicious (for those eternal skeptics and finger pointers), and for those that care and want to contribute, they would also be lured to the HDL site and probably buy something to boot! :wink:

Hal, I hope I didn't put you out there in a bad way. I don't know if you can do something like this or not. I don't know the legal or business issues on something like this, but if FPL can do it and they are in no way a not-for-profit organization, surely HDL could possibly fit something like this in.

I know ... the next step is how do we keep scammers from exploiting this. That's another issue. Maybe submit a brief written explanation of their situation with some type of documentation. Clearly there will have to be acceptable guidelines for such a fund/project. Does anyone have an organization that has similar funds or trust accounts set up? What criteria do they use?

Please don't let those questions discourage this effort. It's a fantastic idea. With not much effort, it should be a success. I hope I would never need to have such assistance in my life, but would be happy to jump in to give to such a fund/trust for others who don't have the benefits and planning that I have and have done for myself and my family.

·
Registered
217 Posts
count me in. I would even try to get some Canadian riders from local boards in on it.

Awesome idea...Kudos to who thought it up and had balls to say it.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Paypal is the best way to collect the money, but a simple money order in a card would be best for delivery.

·
Registered
286 Posts
SERPAGS said
Awesome idea...Kudos to who thought it up and had balls to say it.

I agree. Also, what a shame that we sometimes second-guess ourselves on such issues because of the negative repercussions we think we may get. It's almost like a prayer-in-school type of issue sometimes. The idea is great, it doesn't hurt anybody that is involved, and if you don't want to participate, you don't have to, yet it's amazing how much people want to be a part of that "function" when tragedity strikes. Columbine, 9-11, the hurricanes down here in south Florida last year, the sunami, etc. How amazing that people come together, show up to church, pray, meditate, start being concerned with their neighbor, etc when a devistating event happens, but otherwise don't seem to care and even fight the issue. Just my thought for the day -- not trying to start something. I just think this is a great idea and am glad that the folks on this board are of similar thinking when it comes to goodwill toward our fellow Xers and neighbors for that matter. Glad to be part of it.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I like the idea of using HDL. Cool, how about you call Hal tomorrow and ask if he can lend a hand. Shoot he has most of our credit card numbers anyway. LOL

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Count me in! The HDL thing seems reasonable and paypal too.

:bump:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cybrhick said:
I like the idea of using HDL. Cool, how about you call Hal tomorrow and ask if he can lend a hand. Shoot he has most of our credit card numbers anyway. LOL
If you all think HDL is the way to go, I'll see what Hal has to say, but I don't think we should limit the way of giving to the fund to just when ordering, I mean one of these days I'm going to have to stop or the wife will have my head on a pole. Maybe he could put a link on his main page for donations or something. Keep the idea's coming.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
cool runnins said:
pepsX said:
Im in!
Wow, I'm just shocked that you'd be in on this :wink: you stingy [email protected]
:lol:
lol your killin me here.
now im in double!

if hal likes and can pull it off, that would be great! I like it!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts