Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I rode I was behind a pickup truck with an open window on the driver's side. I was following at about three seconds and started thinking, "What if the driver sneezes out the window"? So I increased my following distance and decided then to stop wearing my half helmet and ride with my full face helmet to provide a bit of protection. I am not sure how effective a mask or other face covering would be in the blast of wind on a moving bike.

·
Super Moderator
63,665 Posts
From a microbiologist that won a Nobel prize for his work on contagious viral strains in order to get this from the air you'd have to spend at least 15 minutes inside a closed elevator with no masks on. It's not that contagious through the air, no matter what the paid Dr.s on CNN or with the CDC say. There's real research out there in published medical mags if you're willing to read them. The way this most easily transmits is with touching something that has the virus on it then touching your face. You'll be fine

·
Old Goat
24,853 Posts
I had a buddy I use to ride with and he liked to ride point....he chewed tobacco....he warned me to stay a good distance back...which I did....made for some exciting riding....

·
Super Moderator
63,665 Posts
Yeah, I've worked in the medical field and I never said anything about sneezing on your face or did I call it fake news. I made it through the AIDS pandemic, the HepB&C pandemic and a few others that were supposed to take out most of the worlds population with no masks back then and no face shields just gloves. Wash your hands often and well, ER Dr. showed me how to wash twice to be sure your clean and you'll kill 99.9% of all contagions. Virus cell walls are made up of a greasy like substance. Soap breaks that wall down and then the virus dies, it doesn't matter what strain it is you don't have to have studied this particular strain.

You sound just like you work for CNN Donnie. It's a real virus, but it doesn't spread easily through the air. If you're outside, you'll be fine you won't catch it from the car in front of you as the question posed here. But, you TV brains that choose to believe every word the paid actors say, like to press the scare tactics and fear mongering levels all the way up to 11.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I had a buddy I use to ride with and he liked to ride point....he chewed tobacco....he warned me to stay a good distance back...which I did....made for some exciting riding....
A few years ago on I-80 in Wyoming, a clear blue sky, when I all of a sudden got wet.
Turns out I was about 100 yards behind a truck full of livestock. Yep, at 70mph that spreads far and easy.....
I had to make an emergency fuel stop to get myself cleaned up a bit.
:mad:

·
Old Goat
24,853 Posts
A few years ago on I-80 in Wyoming, a clear blue sky, when I all of a sudden got wet.
Turns out I was about 100 yards behind a truck full of livestock. Yep, at 70mph that spreads far and easy.....
I had to make an emergency fuel stop to get myself cleaned up a bit.
:mad:
Have family in Cheyenne...(y)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I never said anything about sneezing on your face or did I call it fake news. ...

But, you TV brains that choose to believe every word the paid actors say, like to press the scare tactics and fear mongering levels all the way up to 11.
Kinda sounds like you're calling it fake news to me.
OP is talking about riding through a sneeze, in case you missed it.
I'll make sure to let everyone know it's fine to be in the covid ward , as long as its less than 15 minutes.
Perhaps you should stick to giving recycled motorcycle advise.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ever ride behind a vehicle with a driver is smoking? And you catch a big whiff right after he/she exhales? That my friends is all from their lungs. The coronavirus is fantastic at sticking to surfaces, including your own throat. So, if you think you are safe riding behind someone in a truck/motorcycle, good luck to you.

This virus is serious (I work in health care in Long Island NY, and my wife is an NP in a Nassau County hospital in Long Island).

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I've read (from an epidemiologist recently) that caught in the wind the droplets quickly become micro droplets and you would have to have sustained or intense exposure to them in that small form before you could catch the virus. Doesn't mean you should take a big breath behind that sneezing driver. Still, I'll start riding again this week and will likely wear a balaclava inside my helmet. My immune system is not what it once was.

Welcome back Spike!

·
Old Goat
24,853 Posts
This reminds me of the should I wear a helmet threads....your lives ,your rulz....me my old ass is staying home...so maybe I get to see 73....best of luck or should I say best of health...at the beginning of the movie Outbreak is a quote..

Nobel Prize Winner Joshua Lederberg. “The single biggest threat to man's continued dominance on this planet is the virus.”

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
This virus is serious (I work in health care in Long Island NY, and my wife is an NP in a Nassau County hospital in Long Island).
God bless you and your wife for helping those in need. If you don't believe in God, you have my personal thanks.

·
Old Goat
24,853 Posts
Its not about whether u wear a helmet or snort covid-19..its about the debate...takes all the fun out of it if I got to explain it....:D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Its not about whether u wear a helmet or snort covid-19..its about the debate...takes all the fun out of it if I got to explain it....:D
You can snort covid-19, as long as you blow you're nose within 15 minutes "you'll be fine"
Covid-19 farts however.....you dont want to breath those, you'll catch it immediately. I read a paper on it once by a Nobel award winning fart doctor. It's where the phrase "silent but deadly" originated. :D

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Everybody's an expert these days.

Riding a bit further back is never a bad idea but it's sure not because of the odds of missing a COVID based sneeze lol.

How many people has it killed in the US compared to a regular flu season? How about suicides? Cancers?

Still not to be taken lightly but he media driven hysteria is unbelievable

·
Registered
981 Posts
lately i've been day-dreaming of riding to the grocery store in a full hazmat suit, getting off the bike and bouncing like i am weight-less into the line of people... and feeling like i am "cool"....

strange or what...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts