Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got back from my first long(kinda) road trip on my VTX today, I went 320 miles, mostly highway. The trip over to Thermopolis was 142.1 miles and I used a whopping 3.15 gallons to do it. That comes out to 45.111111111 MPG!! The temp was around 30-35 degrees and the elevation was between 5,000 and 6,000 with calm winds. I must say that this is the best I have gotten so far with this bike, and the return trips is probably about the same, although I didn't fill up yet from driving back.

I just thought I would share this with people wondering what kind of milage you can get out of these bikes. I didn't do anything special, just held her at a steady 75 the whole time.

George

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love the gas milage.

My milage increased after installing HK2.5's. Last time I checked I got 48.6. I had to switch to reserve at 175.4 miles. Most of my riding was 65-70 mph.

Running stock airbox and did not rejet.

RattlerX

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Now I'm not trying to burst anyones bubbles here, but are your speedo's off the 10% most of ours are? If so then you really didn't get that good, I found that out earlier this year. :cry:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that the speedo is off, and while that will take me from 45mpg all the way down to 40.5, it is still good milage. I havn't checked it with my GPS yet, but even if it is off 10%, I'm still happy to go from Casper to Thermopolis, as well as a few laps aournd town cruising on 3.15 gallons.

Thanks for pointing that out though as some of the people new to the X might not realize that you can't trust the indicated milage.

George

G

·
0 Posts
Is the speedo known to be off on just the milage part or is the MPH off too? Thats not good here in NH they are sticklers about milage thats why I had to retitle my 83 Shadow when it hit 100,000(to old ones didn't have 6 digits). Do they make a aftermarket for the retro thats accurate and looks the same??

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
nh_teddy said:
Is the speedo known to be off on just the milage part or is the MPH off too? Thats not good here in NH they are sticklers about milage thats why I had to retitle my 83 Shadow when it hit 100,000(to old ones didn't have 6 digits). Do they make a aftermarket for the retro thats accurate and looks the same??
You don't have to change the speedo, they make these little boxes that plug in to the bike and you can adjust it to correct it. I have a speedohealer and they make one called a little yellow box (I think thats the name). I know the speedohealer works good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Those numbers arent bad at all. Best I can do is about 43 mpg and thats with pipes,rejet and k&n.

It was much worse than that the first 2000 miles or so, mileage seemed to improve greatly after the bike broke in.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I think the odometer is correct.
It's the MPH that is off.

I've done a few miliage checks on the interstate using the milage markers
and Luci was dead on.

Every X is different

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I get 47mpg unless I'm really twisting the grip, but this kind of mileage is only possible if you have the X-hinge installed on your bike.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I love the gas milage.

My milage increased after installing HK2.5's. Last time I checked I got 48.6. I had to switch to reserve at 175.4 miles. Most of my riding was 65-70 mph.

RattlerX
Rattler, you might want to check your plugs, to make sure you aren't running lean. After doing the Clayton mod on my stock pipes, I had her Dynoed and she was running lean. I have since Re-jetted, added slipons and changed to a K&N filter.

You may be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to remove the plugs and check them, make sure they aren't too light.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just too add another thought or two to the discussion, I know my bike is running rich here at thie higher elevations, there is black smoke when I get on it hard, and my plugs don't look all tha great, which is why I was very excited to be getting this kind of milage. I'll also add that I just turned 1,600 miles on the odometer a couple blokcs from my house on the return trip. If milahe will get better as the bike wears in, I'm going to be a happy camper sure enough, if not, I still love my X.

George

G

·
0 Posts
gas mieage

Man, that's some great gas mileage! I wish I was getting that good.

I'm w/ the other guys re: the speedo being off (and the odometer) I installed a speedohealer (w/ help from GA Rainman, thanks again Jeremy!) and I'm dead on now w/ the speedometer and the odometer is acutally working in my favor just a little bit. Before it was off clearly 10%, so I was putting more miles on the bike than it should have been.

Now it's just right!

·
Registered
248 Posts
ozzie65 said:
I love the gas milage.

RattlerX
Rattler, you might want to check your plugs, to make sure you aren't running lean. After doing the Clayton mod on my stock pipes, I had her Dynoed and she was running lean. I have since Re-jetted, added slipons and changed to a K&N filter.

You may be OK, but it wouldn't hurt to remove the plugs and check them, make sure they aren't too light.

The bike runs great, It is a tad on the rich side. When I hit the mountains altitude above 6500 I get some considerable decel popping. I pull the plugs and they show still in the good but on the rich side. I have some smaller jets just haven't installed yet.

I know it doesn't seem possible with everyone running lean, but it is what it is. I tried a K&N and the bike would stumble at about 1/4 throttle. So back to stock I went. I still have the pair intact but I blocked the hole inthe air box.

I live at an 4400', maybe that is the difference. I have not had it Dyno'ed because there isn't anyone local that does it.

The speedo & odo is off, I usually run 5 mph over to correct for it. After a 100 miles my X and my wifes VLX have a 4 mile difference in ODO's not sure if it is mine or hers or both but either way I can live with it.

It would make sence that installing pipes would help the gas milage if I am running rich now then just think what stock pipes was causing.

RattlerX

G

·
0 Posts
mine is off 5mph after about 50 mph

gstanfield said:
I realize that the speedo is off, and while that will take me from 45mpg all the way down to 40.5, it is still good milage. I havn't checked it with my GPS yet, but even if it is off 10%, I'm still happy to go from Casper to Thermopolis, as well as a few laps aournd town cruising on 3.15 gallons.

Thanks for pointing that out though as some of the people new to the X might not realize that you can't trust the indicated milage.

George
according to my gps my speedo is off 5mph from around 50 on up...4 mph or less, less than 50 mph...guess they are all a bit different..my gps has the waas capability and another new type of tracking satellites,which i cant name right now...anyway i have used it doing some geocaching and found it to be accurate with in 3 ft....sometimes down to the actual foot!
anyway i assume the mph is as accurate as a cheaper gps can be.

i also found out my 04 f150 speedo is off a whole 2mph :)

i've been getting between 40-45 mpg with a jet kit and slipons and a combination of riding...slow...speed limits,... then occasionally hammering on it for a mile or two...or three...or...:)

texascruzer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts