Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so i got the new Fridge today about 5 hours later Instacart delivered the groceries. My back is still hurting big time, pulled muscle, pretty bad Tele-Doctor appointment tomorrow, thinking muscle relaxers.

Back to the Fridge... got it full of food and Instacart did a great job, young lady brought all the groceries in the house.
I am so relieved.

PLUS, i finally have ICE to put on my aching back!!!! (i will in about an hour, i mean)

Cool drink of water feels good, it's been 5 days with no fridge.

2 types of Ice Cream 馃榿

ADDED: Dollar bag of mixed vegetables makes a great ice pack! Strapped to my back with a stretchy velcro back brace

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so i got the new Fridge today about 5 hours later Instacart delivered the groceries. My back is still hurting big time, pulled muscle, pretty bad Tele-Doctor appointment tomorrow, thinking muscle relaxers.

Back to the Fridge... got it full of food and Instacart did a great job, young lady brought all the groceries in the house.
I am so relieved.

PLUS, i finally have ICE to put on my aching back!!!! (i will in about an hour, i mean)

2 types of Ice Cream 馃榿

ADDED: Dollar bag of mixed vegetables makes a great ice pack! Strapped to my back with a stretchy velcro back brace
There were a couple major items not avail, frozen chicken breasts was a big one. But the items delivered were all the right ones, nice and fresh. She did a better job shopping that i would have. Got the Lysol disinfectant 40 bottle.

Registered
I had a new fridge delivered last week..
old one was made in 1992..... making lots of noise powering down between cycles.

I do not wish to talk about back issues.... 4 operations in the 1980's,,
never right but much better,, I can walk.

get lots of rest... heating pad then ice, then heating pad then ice.

Registered
My personal 'fix' to back pain:
I had back surgeries in 1978 and 1997. In 2004 I spent hours and hours on my feet standing still watching a karate tournament and my son's black belt test. My back didn't like that and I was in excruciating pain. I could not stay home to sit this out, had to be on an airplane the next day. Wonderful TSA people had to help me put on my own shoes. I could only walk half a foot at the time.
I decided: NEVER again.
That month I started getting a monthly full-body massage as preventative maintenance. I was no longer going to wait to be in pain before I had someone fix me up, I was going to make sure my body would be in better shape, avoid problems all together. This has been going on for more than 15 years now, and I don't regret the effort and expense one little bit.
Of course, every now and then I have a 'little discomfort', but no more major issues.

Premium Member
When we got married in 1978 we bought a new Kenmore fridge. It stopped cooling in 2013, bad compressor, so we bought a new fridge. With a little luck, that will be the last one we have to buy. My back has never given me any problems before, but now, thanks to age, wear and tear, a bad left knee, and having gotten more and more overweight the past 10 years or so, I've gotten where I can't walk very a long way without stopping for a breather and to let my back recoup a few minutes. I used to go to the gym a couple of times a week and that helped a bunch. After this dim orchestrated nonsense is over-with, I plan to shave some pounds off and renew my gym membership, maybe plan a long-distance MC trip to visit friends and family I havent seen in a while. Lifes little aches and pains always reminding me where my own physical limitations lie.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Massage and Chiropractor are in my future. I will talk to the Doctor tomorrow and if he thinks an Xray and MRI are needed but hoping to avoid that.
Badly pulled muscle on my lower right side, in between spine and side of body is my thinking. If i take my right hand and form 4 fingers into a "claw" in insert with good amount of pressure in that area it mitigates a lot of the pain getting up from the bed etc. I have the end of a wall i can grab getting out of my chair, which helps. Standing hurts the least. Can't stand all the time though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it.

Registered

I am so relieved.

2 types of Ice Cream 馃榿

For us mid-to-oldie folks, being cooped up for 2 months, doing little, all our muscles go to crap. 2 weeks ago I moved our deck furniture out of the storage shed up to the deck, involved carrying up a set of full steps and lifting overhead. I've had a backache for over 9 days now due to lower back muscle spasms. Been trying to do some stretches and back isometrics but those are slow to help. I have to get my 2 window AC's in today before it hits the humid 70's and 80's expected by next week. So I'll be messed up for awhile longer. Holiday weekend coming up, nothing going on so won't miss gatherings picnics, etc. FIW, Appliances are NOT going to last like they used to- hot water heaters, refrigerators, microwaves....if you get 8-12 years from any of them you're doing well. Cheaper compressors, cheaper coils, just...cheaper, except the price is higher.

Registered
Take care of that back. I got low back pain few years ago , got real bad. Doctor had me in therapy where they put heat on it . made it worse... Got fed up went to chiropractor ,first thing he did was pack my lower back in a lot of ice , the healing began ! Oh , I got some peach blue bell ice cream this week . man its good . its made here in my town. Eo

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Had a Telephone doctor appt little while go, muscle relaxers being prescribed.

peach ice cream sounds like it would be delightful on a summer day or evening. I picked Breyer's chocolate (for milk shakes) and the store's house brand of chocolate cherry walnut truffle (that's a mouthful). ;)馃榿

Now i am hoping to be riding in the 2-3 week range, wash the bike b4 I ride too. That's my thinking right now.

Registered
A Chiropractor will not touch you "IF" you had a back operation...

my first back op was 44 years ago.. wheel chair for 8 months. right leg had zero movement.
L1 to L4 are bone on bone. cord is "S" shaped. an still is.

Registered
For us mid-to-oldie folks, being cooped up for 2 months, doing little, all our muscles go to crap.
I'm glad you brought it up.
Before I got a car, I road year round.

Now, after not riding too much in the winter, & "Spring" has been wet, I notice I have soreness in some of my muscles.

Registered

Now, after not riding too much in the winter, & "Spring" has been wet, I notice I have soreness in some of my muscles.
reason I ride a bicycle so much... so I can stay ready to ride my motorcycle...

you know the old saying..

stay active, OR rust in place...

Registered

I read years ago, that it takes only 2 weeks of inactivity for muscle to lose HALF its previous strength. Much longer to get it back.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For us mid-to-oldie folks, being cooped up for 2 months, doing little, all our muscles go to crap. 2 weeks ago I moved our deck furniture out of the storage shed up to the deck, involved carrying up a set of full steps and lifting overhead. I've had a backache for over 9 days now due to lower back muscle spasms. Been trying to do some stretches and back isometrics but those are slow to help. I have to get my 2 window AC's in today before it hits the humid 70's and 80's expected by next week. So I'll be messed up for awhile longer. Holiday weekend coming up, nothing going on so won't miss gatherings picnics, etc. FIW, Appliances are NOT going to last like they used to- hot water heaters, refrigerators, microwaves....if you get 8-12 years from any of them you're doing well. Cheaper compressors, cheaper coils, just...cheaper, except the price is higher.
Did you get the A/C's installed? Hope you didn't re-injure yourself. I am struggling with my injury, on again off again, one day is getting better then the next day it hurts, then it starts feeling better...and on and on.... it's literally a bitch. made a few phone calls today, figuring out my options.

Take care brother 馃槑

shit, back spasm 馃が :oops: actually haven't had any today...yet

Registered
You poor ole buggers. Go easy on the milkshakes Arizona, they bung on the weight. The best thing any of us oldies can do is keep your weight down. Diabetes is hanging over all our heads just waiting for the right conditions so it can dive in. Stay healthy brothers and enjoy each day, while we are still above ground.

Registered
Sorry to hear about all this getting old stuff and back pain. I do suppose riding does irritate the back but I never had that problem on my Valk WITH a back rest. Guess I was lucky. I did lots of riding on it with the longest at 1171 miles in 23 hours and loved every minute. Had a total of 160000 miles in 12 years before stopping 6 years ago after an accident.. I want to ride again but probably if I do it will be a Shadow. My biggest problem is sore thumbs from holding the handle bars. About getting old, I'm going on 78 and just went back to work as a machinist after taking 2 months off due to the virus and finally said screw it and went back.I guess the secret is not to get too old. 馃槀 馃槀 .

Registered
Did you get the A/C's installed? Hope you didn't re-injure yourself. I am struggling with my injury, on again off again, one day is getting better then the next day it hurts, then it starts feeling better...and on and on.... it's literally a bitch. made a few phone calls today, figuring out my options.

Take care brother 馃槑

shit, back spasm 馃が :oops: actually haven't had any today...yet
Got both window AC's in one each the past 2 days. Definitely getting harder to do myself, esp. the 12.5K BTU one for the living/ dining/ kitchen area. It lives in the basement in the 'offseason', so I have to scoot it up a set of carpeted steps and across the carpet tile dining floor before hoisting it into the window. Didn't make anything any worse, so thats a win. Now if I could just get Lowe's to ship my over-air antenna.

Premium Member
After being down with a very bad spat of allergies, accompanied by a cough and congestion for 8 days, I drove myself down to local health office for my free covid-19 test. I am sure I don't have it, just got frustrated with none of the allergy pills doing much, and the cough and having to be careful about everything for the rest of the family, and I just got curious. Its probably just all allergy related, but I could have a cold or the regular flu with it, possible. Anyway, the experience of being tested was more akin to my grandpa taking one of his farm animals to the vet. They had a driving path coned out in the back parking lot with warning signs up about make sure you have a mask on near a sign where they wanted you to stop your vehicle. The testing began at 9am and ended at 10am. I arrived at 8:45 and there was just myself and one other vehicle. By 9am, there was a line of probably 20 to 30 vehicles. At 9am, they motioned the first vehicle to pull up to the tent they had setup to do the testing, once that vehicle pulled up, I moved up to the stop sign. It was taking a little over 1 minute per person and they were only testing 1 person per vehicle. They stick a long cotton swap up your nostril to the point it's painful, but for only a second. Then they hand you a paper with instructions on how to log on after to get my results. I had my sample pulled at 9am Thursday, it's Saturday afternoon and there are still no results for me. The nice nurse lady did tell me not to be in a hurry, it usually takes about 5 days for the results to show up, but sometimes longer. Good thing this virus isn't dangerous.

Registered
Hope you all are feeling well/better today. Someone mentioned struggling with window AC units. I'm in pret good shape but don't have all the upper body strength I used too. When I realized there were somethings I was gonna need help with I talked to friend who teaches High School shop. Works out well, throw a local kid a couple bucks and no sore back. Most times the kids love to talk, and that's pure entertainment right there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts