Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dontknow:I installed a new SHARK 250 AMP on my VTX 1300C. It's wired to the battery, 1st challenge, it blew a FUSE and the local parts house couldn't match the fuse so I wired in a new fuse holder and am using a 7.5 fuse. I've blown a couple in the last 8-10 rides, can't see any problem. I ran the wire harness they supplies under the gas tank and to the battery. The unit is in a leather fanny pack on the handle bars.
I also have a volume issue, the Fm radio seems plenty loud but using a thumb drive or an SD card I just don't get the volume. At 30-40 mph you can hear but anything above that not much sound at all. Very disappointing!!!!
ANY IDEAS INPUT?????
Thanks
Rothar

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've had my 250 w system about 6 mths. I have an 1800T, cobra longs. Have not had any issues with my system very pleased. I ride 2 up and we both can hear system well at 65-70 mph, then start losing the clarity after that. I found wearing ear plugs, helps to buff the wind sound and let's u hear the stereo better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If that were truly a 250 watt amplifier (which it probably isn't) it would draw about 20 amps of current. 250 watts / 12 volts = 20.8 amps. At best the real rms wattage is probably 62.5 watts rms which would draw about 5 amps. Looks like you have a bad unit. Also, your thumb drive, jump drive, sd card or ipod has a very low voltage output compared to your FM reciever so the amplifier only has a small signal to work with and can only boost the volume so high. Try plugging your ipod into your home stereo, you have to crank the ipod to the max and still turn up the volume on your stereo to get a decent listening level on your speakers. :cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ya I agree you may have a bad unit. I have been running a 250 Shark system on my bike since august 2010 and it was originally on my other bike for almost a year and I have had no problems other than my Ipod freezing on me because it's one of the oldest Ipods now, but now I run a $9 walmart Mp3 player and I don't have any issues like that at all and get good quality sound up to 70mph half helmet and full helmet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
FYI, with the 250W Shark amp, the output is 50W X2 @4 ohms; the extra 150W are dedicated to the subwoofer output.

·
Registered
22 Posts
No matter how they try to advertise it, you can't deny Ohm's Law. 250 watts divided by 13.2 volts (12 volt bike battery) still equals 18.9 amps and that's IF the amplifier were 100% efficient, which it isn't. So in order to have a real 250 watts output, the amplifier would have to draw over 18 amps, which it doesn't.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
FYI, with the 250W Shark amp, the output is 50W X2 @4 ohms; the extra 150W are dedicated to the subwoofer output.
:agree:

It's only pulling the 100W unless you have the subwoofer rockin' as well. It shouldn't be blowing fuses; I'd ask them to exchange it. I have no problems hearing my 100W up to about 65mph.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I installed the sharck 250 on my wifes bike (trial before mine:D) works great but its very loud even on the lowest setting. Anybody else have this issue?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think my speakers suck!!!! course its all tweeter with a weak mid... soo.. anyone know where to find a speaker with mounts that have a better sound quality? The stereo rocks on my droid X just cheap crappy speakers.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I've got the 100 watt Shark system (from what I understand, it's about the same as the 250 watt if you're not running a subwoofer) and while it sounds OK under 40 mph or so, it gets progressivly harder to hear above that. Above 60-65 might as well turn it off.

When you hold the speaker, the enclosure is so light you wonder if it's even got a magnet in it.

I paid less than $100, and I've seen them for less than $50 new.

I think you get what you pay for.

:-?

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah i was very frustrated withmy shark system.i wanna hear it. thats why i got a woody and a nice radio. upgraded the standard woody's speakers. cant wait til it gets here and i can put it on.

dw

1 - 12 of 12 Posts