Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew...

Who out there has installed a Fat Tire Kit (240 or 250) on their bike and raked the front end? I'm interested in doing this for my bike as a special project but wanted to get feedback from someone before dropping the bucks.

Some say it isn't too difficult if you go with a SUMO X or X Choppers and if you have a little mechanical ability. Anyone out there with any experience / advice in this area?

Thaks,

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Hey crew...

Who out there has installed a Fat Tire Kit (240 or 250) on their bike and raked the front end? I'm interested in doing this for my bike as a special project but wanted to get feedback from someone before dropping the bucks.

Some say it isn't too difficult if you go with a SUMO X or X Choppers and if you have a little mechanical ability. Anyone out there with any experience / advice in this area?

Thaks,
The rake is flat out simple. Anyone could do it. You need to replace the head bearings when you do it, so figure those into the cost.

The 240 is time consumeing, and it is best to have at least 1 extra set of hands to help. You need a sawzall to cut the frame fender struts. Get the Sumo kit. It's relatively easy. Just takes some time. We did one with 4 people in about 6-8 hours.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
The rake is flat out simple. Anyone could do it. You need to replace the head bearings when you do it, so figure those into the cost.

The 240 is time consumeing, and it is best to have at least 1 extra set of hands to help. You need a sawzall to cut the frame fender struts. Get the Sumo kit. It's relatively easy. Just takes some time. We did one with 4 people in about 6-8 hours.

Can Caveman can do it... lol.

Only have to cut the rails if you roll with the Sumo-X rear fender. Mine are in-tacked. You'll also need the swingarm "castle" tool to get the swingarm off.

·
Super Moderator
63,885 Posts
Stay with SumoX and you will be fine. The other place you mentioned is banned from this site and many others for a good reason. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Can Caveman can do it... lol.

Only have to cut the rails if you roll with the Sumo-X rear fender. Mine are in-tacked. You'll also need the swingarm "castle" tool to get the swingarm off.
Crap, forgot about the caste nut socket. You can make one from a deepwell socket with a grinder and some patience.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Kewl Metal comes with new bearings (for that price...:yikes:).

Ervin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts