Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, since we don't have a 1300 tech board I'm going to ask these questions here. Now that I finished installing my new Chilhowee detachable bags it's time to install new pipes. I just bought a pair of HK 3" pipes from ebay. I took them out of the box today and they are huge! However, there were no installation instructions included with the pipes. For any of you that have bought them from a dealer, were there instructions included? If so, could I get a fax of them? If not, does anyone know of a tech board with instructions? If not, can anyone provide me with some guidance? I've already bought a new set of crush gaskets. Lastly, the pipes didn't come with bolts to attach to the manifold...I assume I can use the stock bolts...bad assumption?

thanks Frankp

·
Registered
191 Posts
You use the stock nuts on the header part of the pipe. But you should have got a bracket and bolts for mounting them in the back. Put the new back bracket on first use the stock bolts to mount the bracket to the bracket mounts. Then put your front pipe on first. You will have to loosen you footpeg mount and take out the front bolt on it. That way you can get the pipe in. You will for sure need an extra set of hands. Bolt on the header part first but don't tighten. Then bolt the back part of the pipe to the bracket but don't tighten. Then go back and tighten the header bolts. Then tighten the back bolts. Do the same when you put the back pipe on. Run the bike for about 5 miles and come back and retighten the header bolts.

Hope that helps. :wink:
Call me if you have any problems. 281-352-6799

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taz pretty much covered it. I put the rear pipe on first but it would be easier to align the rear bolts if you do the front pipe first. I would suggest not doing the final tightening of either pipe until you have aligned the pipes for equal spacing where they run parallel to each other. Once aligned, then complete the tightening sequence. Because of the pipe diameter that restricts access, you will need a crowfoot socket (I picked up a set at Sears) to tighten the head bolts. Also, check out http://www.vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm for tips on removing the gaskets.

·
Registered
925 Posts
you'll need to replace the crush gasket with a new set. to get the old one out, just get a flat head screw driver. Tap the gasket and pry it out.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys...yes, I got the bracket and the crush gaskets so I think I'm all set! Your instructions were perfectly clear and it looks like a fairly straightforward process. I'm waiting on the delivery of my PM Enterprise Air Kit and Cobra Jet Kit and hopefully I'll be able to tackle the project on Saturday. Next project...installing the Hondaline lightbar!!! Frankp

·
Registered
83 Posts
The others did a great job with their instructions, but I have a copy of the instructions from Hard Krome if you need them...just let me know...I can email them to you

·
Registered
83 Posts
Actually...now that I think of it...I didn't look at the instructions once. Just checked out some other posts out there. My only problem was tightening the top exahust bolts. Just removed the seat and engine cover, worked fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts