Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered (from Hal) HK'3s ,K&N filter, crush gaskets, DynoJet kit, and Brown County Airbox cover, should be here by the end of the week. ( It's cool how they better any deals you find on the net.) Do I need a torque wrench, or any specific tools for the pipe install? I'll install the pipes, filter and cover myself and have my local HDL do the jetting. Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You will need two NEW crush gaskets, and at the least, an open end wrench to get at the front exhaust clamp nut. A torque wrench is a must if you have not done much me-ke-nickel work, and a darn good idea anyway. Good luck....be careful....It's hard to get them bikes off ya if yer alone..........

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
You will need a 12mm crows claw. You can get a craftsman at sears for about $5. It is an open ended socket but has no shaft...just a square hole for your ratchet to fit.
Make sure you have a good long extension for the ratchet...6 inches or better.
Be sure to get the original crush gaskets out....they blend in once crushed so doublecheck that they are out.
Put the new crushers in place.
Hang the rear/top pipe first. Put the flange over the studs and put the acorn nuts on just till they are started but not tight....then bolt the pipe up to the rear bracket but not too tight yet. Go back to the Acorn nuts and get them tight.....you don't want a leak! Now tighten up on the back bracket and repeat with the front pipe.
* On the R & S models. Before doing the front one you need to loosen the two 14mm bolts holding the floorboard/brake assembly. Do not remove them.....just loosen them to slip the pipe in between them.....you'll see (Unless you ride a C).
Hope this helps! Instructions for the rear bracket are in the box and pretty easy to figure out. It should be a 30 min job including taking the stockers off. I have had mine off and on so many times my fiance' knows how to do it now and actually did them for me this weekend!
Read this post and read below the pics at the bottom!
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67859

1 - 3 of 3 Posts