Honda VTX Forum banner

Installing Hogtunes MSA-1 speakers, where should I hook up the orange (power) wire?

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dynagirl103 
#1 ·
I picked up a Hogtunes MSA-1 speaker system designed for the Memphis Shades fairing while at BikeWeek this past weekend. The system sounds good and it fits really well in the fairing, especially when paired with the MS tri-pack. However, the place I had install it looks like they "hotwired" the system, meaning that it's powered on all the time even with the ignition off. Luckily I didn't get stranded and found this out while cleaning up the bike when I got home.

The MSA-1 system is a speaker/amp combo and only has 3 wires, one to the negative and one to the positive battery. The other is an orange wire that I'm assuming powers the amp on/off based on where it's wired to. It's a pretty simple installation and I feel like an idiot having to ask, but what is the best wire to hook this orange wire to that will turn off when the ignition is off? I've tried searching this forum and I've found some pretty informative stuff, but not able to find the best answer to this question. Should I run it through a fuse connection or relay? They installed it to the light bar power wire, but even when the ignition is off the speakers/amp still play - weird.

It's obvious that I'm no electical expert, but these came with no instructions and I can't find a link to the manual online.

#2 ·
You need a keyed power source. I have a 2005 vtc1300C and am in the process of a few mods including the MSA-1. I went to http://www.vtx1300tips.com/VeyporDataAcquisitionInstallation.htm. This shows a keyed power source wire under the seat that is used for this data system. I have been told that it will work for the MSA-1 as well. The page has color pics of where to get at the necessary wires. How does the MSA-1 sound while on the freeway? Good luck.8)

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out tonight. I'm thinking of attaching to that power source and include a 20A fuse. As far as the sound goes, the MSA-1 sounds good. I'd say to adjust your expectations because nothing will sound like a car (for the most part) and there's really no bass sound, but it does play plenty loud enough (I hook up my iPhone) even at speeds of 70. Just be sure to turn the EQ off (mine is normally set to bass boost, but that inhibits the volume on the MSA-1). I have a 9" windshield so that helps block the wind. The speaker/amp system itself is really cool because not only does it fill the inside of the fairing, it's nearly undetectable unless you're looking for it. I'll post a pic later once I get the wiring done.

#5 ·
I too gave the hogtunes msa 1. I was using my samsung g7 phone and it would stop playing if i turned up the volume. I tried a basic mp3 player but it would not be loud enough. It works when the bike is parked with the samsung but once i start travelling it stops working any ideas of what other pod device to use. Maybe an ipod is the better choice?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.