Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Kuryakyn Iso Grips, am in the middle of installing them and had a couple quick questions. Ive taken the old grips off and cleaned all the glue n such from the bars and throttle sleeve. Instead of using the glue that comes with the grips, im gonna use golf grip tape, and paint thinner as an activator (cause I dont wanna screw it up or get glue all over the place, and Ive heard some reports of slipping with the glue). Question is, do I still have to rough up the bar/throttle sleeve before puttin on the tape? I dont see y Id have to, but just asking. Maybe the tape will stick better?

Also, the Kury grips are a bit longer than the stock. Do I really have to use a spacer in the end of the grips, or move the switch housings down (like the Kury instructions suggest)? It doesnt seem like theyre too much longer where theyd affect usability, but, again, wanna avoid probs later.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I didn't rough up the bars or use the spacer.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not sure on the switch housing deal... why would you need to move it at all? I did install Kury Iso's on two different VTX's, but we added the madcorider throttle lock, so maybe your throttle side is a bit different.

We also used golf tape and sanded down the throttle side plastic a bit. That one stuck well with the golf grip tape. The clutch side is less inclined to stick because of the metal you're sticking the tape to. You may want to wrap that side with black electrical tape or something similar.

I can't remember how I did mine two years ago, but my buddy's slips ever so slightly if you try to move it. My grips have been firmly in place ever since I did it. I dont' know why he moves or twists the clutch side, but the golf tape didn't stick as well as it could have.

I would use the spacer just so you don't grip the end of it and the rubber piece falls in a little. Do a dry fit and make up your mind which way's best.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I didn't use the spacer, but I did rough up both sides with sandpaper. My thinking was I want the golf tape to stick to the handlebar (or throttle) surface as well as possible. By making the surface as "porous" as possible, the glue on the golf tape has a place to "grab".

Then when you use the paint thinner, only the outer surface or the side of the tape that will contact the inside of the grips will get "gummy" until the grips are in place and then the liquid starts to evaporate.

As I remember (it's been a while), when I did the dry fit, and some measurements, I was going to have to cut the spacer to about half its original size or less anyway ... didn't seem worth the effort.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Honda makes a pretty good handgrip cement for $5-$6 that gives you plenty of time to set it up how you want it. I did my bike two years ago and not one issue, still solid.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts