Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After screwing up a fork seal ($23.00) I sat and started looking around the garage for a easy way to put the forks back together. I had the lowers chromed. For those installing chrome lowers heres an easy way to put it back together......
Remove entire fork from the bike. Slide the dust seal, oil seal, flat washer, and metal collar off the top of the fork. Turn fork upside down and install the silver metal piece on the end where the drain screw threads into. Slide the lower fork on and thread the drain screw and copper washer into the underside of the fork. Tighten it up. OK.... Take about a 2 1/2 foot piece of 1 1/2 PVC and cut it on one side the whole length down. Do not cut it in 2 pieces. Just make one cut. Take some fork oil and lube up the fork and a little on the inside of the PVC. Slide the metal collar and flat washer down the fork and lube the collar up with fork oil. Take the PVC and slide it down over the fork. It will be tight but will seperate where you cut it so it will fit. Slide it all the way down to the flat washer, take a piece of wood, lay it across the top of the PVC and hammer it down until you feel the collar bottom out. Slide the PVC off. Take the oil seal and do the same thing. Install the snap ring then lube up the dust seal and take a small piece of wood shim and tap it down till it seats. There you go . Done! Put the fork back on the bike. Took me 10 minutes to do each fork. One note... If the PVC doesnt want to slide off the fork easy..Take a towel and wrap the lower fork. Place it in a vise (horizonal) and just tighten a hair. Just enought to keep it from moving. Then take a screw drive and hammer. Chisel alittle into the PVC and tap it off. It will slide right off. The first fork I did I had to do this. The second I lubed the crap out of it and the PVC slid right off. It was pretty easy to install these lowers. I thought I would play hell getting them back on. After I put the forks back on the bike I installed my Progressive front springs. Cant wait to clean the bike up and go for a ride.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts