Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there would be a big difference in the insurance costs between a VTX 1800 and a Yamaha R1? I'm only 19 so either one will probably be pretty high but just wondering if anyone had any input.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
At 19 you are going to pay a lot more for insurance on a sport bike compared to a cruiser. A few weeks ago, I sat at a bike shop and saw a sport bike come in on a wrecker. The service man says he sees them come in on a regular basis every Tuesday when he comes back to work after being closed on the weekend. A lot more money gets paid out on sport bike claims compared to cruisers. Hence, the much higher rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks a lot that makes a lot of sense. Ill have to call up my insurance agent to see exactly what it would be for me. Hopefully it wont be too bad :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
At 19, you're going to shell out a few k.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I compared the two just for S&G when I was getting quotes for my VTX 1800 and the difference was amazing. I paid $340/year for the VTX and if I remember correctly the R1 was going to be $1900/year for the same coverage. I'm 29, so at only 19 your prices would be much higher. Of course, most of the cost for the insurance was in the comprehensive and collision. If you just went for liability it probably wouldn't be too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts