Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone here has run into this but I thought somebody here would have a creative idea to deal with this.

A few months back I had a car check-up for no apparent reason and down I went. No injury, 'cept my ego, but the bike got scratched and dented. Got an insurance estimate which I thought was fair and went to the dealer for their estimate. The dealer's price was twice the insurance, big surprise. They wanted to replace cosmetic things with no visable damage. Now if we were talking a few hundred bucks, my insurance guy would have covered. This was like $3K. The check is made out to me and honda finance, you see where this is going. I called them and said I could do some of the work myself and the rest could be done at a less expensive shop. They quite rudely informed me that they didn't care about the price gouging and would only sign the check if the work was done in a Honda certified shop,A.K.A. dealer. Nice little racket. Dealer inflates price, finance company won't sign off unless dealer does work, insurance co. gets screwed. No wonder our rates are so high!!!

So in the end I fixed most of the bike out of my own pocket and I'm sitting here with this fat check. The only way I can spend it is if I sign the check and hand it over to somebody with a honda sign over their door. I figuered what the hell, I'll let the dealer wet his beak and have him order /install some custom parts and spend it that way. I asked about how many hours to install new forward controls and a 240 swing arm. They wouldn't even give me an estimate on labor time for a simple bolt-up project. "....it's $75hr for as long as it takes.".

If I had my way I had spend the whole nut with Hal, Screw these a-holes.
Anyway, that's my bitch session. Anybody got any ideas on how I might unlock this money?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Read this thread and look for my post within it. It has the address and everything you need to do to get your check cashed. The bike does NOT have to be fixed by a dealer.

Basically, you just need to have a dealer inspect the bike and write up a confirmation letter on their letterhead saying it was repaired. My service guy did a good once over and wrote me a 4 sentence letter.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... da+finance

·
Registered
416 Posts
I wonder if you could sign it and send it to Am. Honda finance to be applied toward principal. You spent the money already, pay off the bike.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Robb Dogg I missed that when you posted it. Thanx for the info.

Last year I had a lady back into me at a stop light. Just damaged my front fender. I was too nice with her insurance co. and told them I would do the work just wanted the replacement fender. So they paid the exact replacement cost. I gave the check to my local dealer they gave me a new fender.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Metzmauler said:
I wonder if you could sign it and send it to Am. Honda finance to be applied toward principal. You spent the money already, pay off the bike.
Not without having the bike inspected and signed off by a dealer. HFC want's that bike put back to spec (or better). They're looking after their interests, because if someone takes the check and pockets it, then doesn't fix the bike, then the collateral is not enough to cover the loan anymore. If they reposess it they can't sell it to recoupe their costs.

That's why you HAVE to fix the big ticket items (like scratched pipes, damaged paint, safety stuff, etc). Upgrades are ok with them as long as they're in new condition. It's a shame whoever VTXroadDawg talked to didn't know how HFC handles these things. Because they still won't endorse the check unless the bike is inspected by the dealer and all the estimate items are repaired or upgraded. So what your dealer will do (without you [VTXrD] knowing) is do the mods you want, inspect the bike, write the letter and mail it to Dave, he'll check it off and send them the cash. Basically doing what you could have done without letting the dealer at your check.

Don't let them screw you around. If you're dealer won't do the inspection, take it to another one or have them call HFC Physical Damage. There's only ONE guy that does physical damage (Dave) so the rules don't vary.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Had a similar incident. Brought the check to my bank with a deposit slip, deposited the check; two days later, it was in my account! Only one endorsement. Mine.

Viola'... :lol:

·
Registered
313 Posts
HDL

On a wicked note: Hal IS a Honda Dealer!!! Chrome. I see Chrome in your future! LOTS OF CHROME!!! STILL MORE CHROME!!! Honest honey, AHFC made me buy it. :twisted:

·
Registered
306 Posts
here in mass they have a law since 2003 that u can get a bike aprazed like an anteek car go to your insurance agent and now pay for the amount the bike is aprazed for.it will protect u for 2 yrs on deperciation and best of all all that chrome and after market parts are now insured.as it stands now my bike is worth 16,500 and its an 02.it makes no difrence what the reason it got crunched 16,500.225 for the aprazel and every slip i had.gives u a great folder with pictures and every aftermarket part with the price u paid with no deprecation for 2 yrs 2250.00 well spent.afta the 2 yrs if they are still charging u at the rate of 16,500 well they have to honor it. your policy will show the amount your insured for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts