Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the redundancy of this thread but, here it goes. I am looking to drop State Farm and obtain a new motorcycle insurer. My current policy is 450.00/yr and I know that's way too much. The two cheaper quotes I've received have been from "Markel American"-Wisconsin and "Esurance". (for same coverages that I currently have). I am currently awaiting a quote from "Dairyland".

Does anybody have one of these above 3 and if so, how do you like them? I received quotes from Geico and Progressive but they're as much as State Farm for similar coverages; so, they're out.

Any suggestions for other insurances?

thnx....

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Progressive at about $229 annually. :cool:
Will County
250/500/100
med 5000
comp 100 deduct
collision $1000 deduct
roadside assist
uninsured/under 250/500

·
Registered
772 Posts
I also have Progressive and pay $210.00 annually for full coverage.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have never heard of the ones you listed. I have Country Companies and I pay $150. per yr for full coverage. But that is cause I have a multiple vehicle discount. I have 3 cars and the bike plus the house.

·
Registered
669 Posts
i have state farm, not sure what i pay but it isn't anywhere near that, of course i have 2 bikes, 2 cars, a house a big box of tools and 2 lifes insured with them

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
+1 on Progressive. I pay about $180/yr. for full coverage.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's not too much trouble, can somebody dig out their policy and tell me what your coverages are? I have 2 cars, my motorcycle,homeowners and personal article policy with State Farm and I'm still paying 450.00/yr for my vtx. That's nuts unless I have higher than average coverage amounts.... I'd like to hear what coverages/amounts you guys with Progressive have because I was really disappointed at how high their quote was. Maybe my coverages amounts are unnecessarily high...?:dontknow:

Thanx

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am with Liberty Mutual Ins. and they specialize in powersports, outstanding service and follow up. I've been with them for a long time and I insure both cars, 2 motorcycles, 2 snowmobiles and my home all thru them. I pay less than $350 per month for the 2 bikes full coverage, and I've sent other people over with great results. Call Rich Foster @ Liberty Mutual - Geneva office @ 630-232-8100 ext. 56698 and tell him that Mario Soto (or Cheryl) sent you.........good luck, I know you'll do better with him!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what I'm getting for my 450 bones/year:

*Liability-Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000
*Property Damage 100,000
*Medical Payments 1,000
*Comprehensive/Collision 500 deductible
*Unisured M.V.-Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000
*Underinsured M.V.-Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000

Too much coverage?

The floor is now open for discussion. If your bored, that is.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here's what I'm getting for my 450 bones/year:

*Liability-Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000
*Property Damage 100,000
*Medical Payments 1,000
*Comprehensive/Collision 500 deductible
*Unisured M.V.-Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000
*Underinsured M.V.-Bodily Injury 100,000/300,000

Too much coverage?

The floor is now open for discussion. If your bored, that is.
I have the same deal as you from state farm. Houses, 2 cars, bike, umbrella policy...$450 a year for the VTX.

·
Registered
669 Posts
the thing my agent pointed out when we insured the bikes when we bought them a year ago is that our premium is based on the assumption that we are only going to ride for 6 months, that is not to say that i can't go out today for a ride and be covered, i have full coverage on all 4 vehicles with $100 deductibles. in past experience however on the other end dealing with crash vehicles at work, state farm is awesome to deal with and makes sure the vehicle is fixed right but on the flipside if you make a claim expect to see a significant increase in your premium. not sure exactly what the numbers are, but have the legal amounts required for liability on all 4 vehicles (an 04 PT cruiser, 01 pontiac grand am, 07 shadow c2, and 06 1300c) also have 100 deduct comprehensive as well as uninsured motorists and roadside assistance on everything, plus i have coverage for my dogs on the cars, they don't ride the bikes. not sure what my premium is off hand, but it isn't astronomical by any means.... ok, i'm curious now too, just dug outmy last bill, just for the VTX it's 39.50 a month so 474 for a year

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Big Jake. But let me tell you, if you are going to let the dogs drive either of the motorcycles, be sure to send them to a safety class first. And, might as well make them wear a helmet.;)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks, Big Jake. But let me tell you, if you are going to let the dogs drive either of the motorcycles, be sure to send them to a safety class first. And, might as well make them wear a helmet.;)

haha i told him when he gets a job he can buy his own bike and pay his own insurance

·
Registered
305 Posts
We pay $179.00 per year for the Honda XR650.
............$277.00 per year for the Star Stratoliner.

Insured all 12 months with a $250.00 deductable with GEICO.

Considering both of those were bought new last year I thinks it very fair.

Progressive wanted double that for just the Star!

G

·
I'm in Cook Co. With allstate I'm paying $225.....I have 2 car,House,Life with them!! I had a Zrx1200R and I was paying $450 because it was a sport bike!!

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Also had three vechicles and a house with state farm. Could not put my bike on the policy they were way too high. Went to Progressive and paying 190$ a year.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Wis. here and my coverages are from Allstate with 2 cars and house;

*Liability-Bodily Injury 25,000 each person
50,000 each accident.

*Property Damage 50,000
*Medical Payments 2,500
*Comprehensive/Collision 100 deductible
*Unisured M.V.-Bodily Injury 25,000/50,000
*Underinsured M.V.-Bodily Injury 50,000/100,000
+ 5000 added extra equipment
for $382.73

Also Allstate does not use credit scores to figure your rates.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of the replys. The one thing I can tell from the replys is that I am paying too much. State Farm is an awesome company but then again, how can I say that when I haven't made a claim? I talked to my agent and he said that by me dropping my bike from our policies, it will not affect our multi-car discount as motorcycles aren't considered part of that benefit... So, what do I have to lose? Tomorrow, I'm going to shop around and call a couple places/agents mentioned in the above replys. 450.00/year just seems way too exhoribtant:yikes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts