Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the gas tank for 02-03 will not interchange with later years. Also true for the fenders?

What about the engine? Are all VTX 1800 engines interchangeable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the gas tank for 02-03 will not interchange with later years. Also true for the fenders?

What about the engine? Are all VTX 1800 engines interchangeable?

Thanks.

I should have specified, for the body parts I mean for an R. For engine, I mean all VTXs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your Welcome.:sneaky::)

Thanks! Not sure that puts me at rest for swapping a whole engine between years and model. Lower in the thread it's said all engines are the same. Not sure I'd buy a new engine without some more detailed reassurance.

And I need to know about gas tank and fender compatibility between 02-03 and later Rs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are you replacing?
That's not known yet, it depends on which option I take.

1. Rebuild my 03 R motor, parts ~5000. 2. have the mechs do it, add labor. 3. buy another bike. 4. Buy another bike and put the engine in my bike. There are two Cs within an hour with super low mileage.

If 3, I may want to put my body parts on it. My R is black and perfect (except the motor).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You could contact the primemarlly ins. .compaines for bikes
to inquire about their disposition of totaled bikes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a great idea. Having just gone through that with my totaled c, it seems like the insurance company calls a salvage yard that buys it as is and then either fixes it up and sells the bike or parts it out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've decided I'm going to find another VTX 1800r. After bringing back that 13k r from Oklahoma only to discover the engine is screwed has made it hard to even think about this. But I think the idea of me rebuilding the engine in it is less wise than just finding another real low mileage bike. A 2002 or 2003 so that should I need to I can swap the tank with the Oklahoma bike. Thanks for all your info guys.

·
Super Moderator
64,170 Posts
The engines are exactly the same from 2002-2008 all models. However, they did change some of the sensors plugs are different so the wire harness are different. Not a huge deal, just have to change the connections to them

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The engines are exactly the same from 2002-2008 all models. However, they did change some of the sensors plugs are different so the wire harness are different. Not a huge deal, just have to change the connections to them

I just got on the phone with Ron Ayers, and we pulled up the schematics for R tanks from 2002 to 2005. The pump is inside the tank on 02-03, and outside the tank on 04+. I presume this means the 03 and 04 tanks are not interchangeable.

·
Super Moderator
64,170 Posts
All I was saying was the engines are the same. No, the tanks are very different from the early years to the latter years and from model to model they vary as the dashes on the tanks are very different from model to model.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All I was saying was the engines are the same. No, the tanks are very different from the early years to the latter years and from model to model they vary as the dashes on the tanks are very different from model to model.
Yes I understood that about the enginves. I found threads here that had the 03 and 04 R tanks as being the same, but remembered you and others saying the 03 and 04 were not interchangeable. So I just again had a bike lined up, said 2003 in the craigslist ad, but talking with him, it's an 04, verified with Ron Ayers with the VIN. So that's the third deal that has fallen through for one or another reason, including the one with a bad motor. I have a perfect 03 here except the motor, and don't think I can get my money back parting it out. I'd rather keep it around, buy another 03, and have a full set of spare parts. The tank at Ron Ayers was no longer made for the 03, and $2004 for the 04. The tank, fender, and forks are worth what I paid for the bike. So I'm passing on the 04. But, I think I have another nice 03 lined up, but I ain't saying any more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts