Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but couldn’t find a topic like this, so I decided to start one.

One of the fellas I ride with likes to take people places they have never been before and on roads they’ve never ridden. Saturday was one of those rides. We set out with 7 bikes, we knew it would be an all day ride and the general direction. We stopped at an old grist mill that has become a museum. Of course with Covid, it wasn’t open.

Then rode for a few more hours, had lunch and then stopped at a church that was built in 1821. In 1970 it caught fire. The stone walls remain and the interior was made into a garden in 1974. The fire was so hot, it melted part of the bell.

I encourage you to tell us about some of the interesting places you’ve gone on your bike, share some pictures if you can.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I have riding like this most of my 50 years of riding
hundreds of slides converted to digital

old rusty cars out in fields
old almost falling down farm houses
very old gas stations.
small towns almost Ghost towns..
grave markers from the 1800's...
Marble faced banks closed for 50 plus years.
pre 1920 train depots.. freight terminals.
falling down log houses..

Yes, on my VTX1800 "F".

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Some pics from the Mogollon Rim, elevation 7500 ft. The winding road you see below is how you get there.

Here's a few unusual pics

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
One of the best parts of riding is discovering things/places you have not seen. I've been riding around these parts (N. Jersey, NY, PA, CT, MA, VT, NH) for over 40 years and I still find something new every summer. Yeah, the hook is in deep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I look forward to experiencing these types of rides. Mostly ride For commuting, need to leave the 5 boroughs more often. Free weekends & open to ideas. Great thread

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Neat pics especially of the burned out church. If I'm up that way I'd like to see it.

·
Registered
11,605 Posts
Many interesting things to see on a road less traveled. Two 100 foot steerable satellite dishes near Warm Springs, GA.
FDR statue at Dowdell Knob overlook FDR State park. I sat next to him for some guidance!
Two covered bridges in the area.
A tobacco barn full of leaves on the Natchez Trace, plus Meriwether Lewis Monument, and Wichahpi Commemorative Stone Wall built by Tom Hendrix.

For riders near PA and WV several Earth Stations -Roaring Creek, Pa., Etam, W. Va., Hawley, PA. The Green Bank Radio Observatory (WV) has the world's largest steerable dish(100 meters). Seneca Rocks was a nice climb!

Sometimes you meet someone you did not expect to see!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Many interesting things to see on a road less traveled. Two 100 foot steerable satellite dishes near Warm Springs, GA.
FDR statue at Dowdell Knob overlook FDR State park. I sat next to him for some guidance!
Two covered bridges in the area.
A tobacco barn full of leaves on the Natchez Trace, plus Meriwether Lewis Monument, and Wichahpi Commemorative Stone Wall built by Tom Hendrix.
Very True... many lovely places and roads... in Georgia ...
the gravel road I posted above is in Georgia... side of a mountain , aka side road of a side road.
just a few miles from my Brother-in-law home

Florida

1 - 20 of 80 Posts