Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

Registered
Reactions: VTXArizona

Registered
Going through my pics today.

Finding a few pics which i thought were of interest. I'll post them as i find them 馃榾

Super nice bike in this pic. Taken up at the Sycamore Creek Trailhead, an off roader's paradise.

That's me on the left, the tall one. 馃榿 It's a Harley but truth told i forget what model it was, maybe someone can chime in. Pic taken 11-4-18.
Guy was selling it and the price was reasonable as i recall, something like 12K. Remember thinking that if i was rich i would have bought it on the spot... Can't wait to get back up there once my back is ready... and the pandemic fears have subsided...

Registered
Theodore Roosevelt Dam is the big dam in Arizona, it forms Canyon lake and as the main Dam it feeds water to the Valley then in turn Stewart Mountain Dam forms Saguaro Lake, The Salt River and the Butcher Jones Recreation area and even the Tempe Town lake way over towards Phoenix.

All of this is going on within the Tonto National Forest, which is huge. I have pics of all this.

Makes sense to start with the Theodore Roosevelt Dam since that is the source of ALL the water.

Front and Back of the Dam. Every pic i post either the VTX or the Shadow Aero were there, like trusty steeds. 馃槑

Registered
this morning.. I discovered some of my photo's that I remembered taking.. are missing.. ( not in the computer )
are still in the camera...
so I downloaded 5gb of photo's' from my camera to my computer.. camera can hold 32gb..
computer hard drive can hold 750gb. 25 percent full now.
only thing is.. all photo's are in folders marked by the month and year...

Registered
Wow! VTX riders have some fantastic pictures. If a person looks at these and still wants to stay at home better call the undertaker. :)

Registered
Theodore Roosevelt Dam is the big dam in Arizona, it forms Canyon lake and as the main Dam it feeds water to the Valley then in turn Stewart Mountain Dam forms Saguaro Lake, The Salt River and the Butcher Jones Recreation area and even the Tempe Town lake way over towards Phoenix.

All of this is going on within the Tonto National Forest, which is huge. I have pics of all this.

Makes sense to start with the Theodore Roosevelt Dam since that is the source of ALL the water.

Front and Back of the Dam. Every pic i post either the VTX or the Shadow Aero were there, like trusty steeds. 馃槑

View attachment 173761

View attachment 173762
View attachment 173763
View attachment 173764

Stewart Mountain Dam is the next Dam down from Roosevelt Dam, it's this Dam that formed Saguaro Lake. It's my most frequented spot along with the Trail head followed by the Butcher Jones recreation area.

Stewart Mountain Dam (Saguaro Lake)

Water is high, the front of the Dam is in the middle right in this pic.

Next up: Butcher Jones Recreation Area

Registered
Got a great ride in today. Sorry, not a picture guy. Up the PIP to Bear Mt. Brdg. Across the Hudson to old route 9. North on 9 up to a town called Cold Springs (Revolutionary war import) where I had lunch (curbside) at a 100& year old tavern right on the Hudson River. North another 20 miles, west across the Po, Kepsi bridge, out to NY 208S, and back down into Jersey. 170 miles, blue sky day. Thank you Lord.

Registered
Stewart Mountain Dam is the next Dam down from Roosevelt Dam, it's this Dam that formed Saguaro Lake. It's my most frequented spot along with the Trail head followed by the Butcher Jones recreation area.

Stewart Mountain Dam (Saguaro Lake)

Water is high, the front of the Dam is in the middle right in this pic.
View attachment 173769
View attachment 173770

Next up: Butcher Jones Recreation Area
i didn't say "Next up" right away 馃榿 i'm taking a break from the pics right now, got stuff to do. But i'll be back on this to complete the "Dam" series for the Roosevelt Dam system. ....to be continued.

ps: Nice run of pics guys! (y)

Registered
DAM it! Can't wait.

Reactions: VTXArizona

Registered
Some pics from the Mogollon Rim, elevation 7500 ft. The winding road you see below is how you get there. View attachment 173442
View attachment 173443
View attachment 173444

VTXArizona,

Nice pics, stirred up some memories. When I was stationed at Luke AFB (1981/82) we used to go camping in that area quite often, even in Winter. We knew we were getting close when we came upon Kohl's ranch. Wonder if it still looks the same. Left to right, Jim, Scott, Me (another Jim), Tom.

Registered
Superstition Mountain Apache Junction AZ.
View attachment 173620
VTXArizona,

More memories (thanks), We ventured to Superstitious Mt. one time and got a night shot of Phoenix (old Scholl, 35mm timed exposure). We lived on the west side of Phoenix so our main stomping grounds were the White Tank Mts. Ya, we brought our guns, mostly just target practice.

Registered
VTXArizona,

Nice pics, stirred up some memories. When I was stationed at Luke AFB (1981/82) we used to go camping in that area quite often, even in Winter. We knew we were getting close when we came upon Kohl's ranch. Wonder if it still looks the same. Left to right, Jim, Scott, Me (another Jim), Tom.
View attachment 173828
View attachment 173829
Just looking at the pics again, Beautiful shots, i've ridden by Kohl's ranch a number of times, love it up there!!
I wished i lived up there (especially during the summer 馃榿). Soon i'll be up there again. (y) Thanks for posting.

Registered
How about Chicken Alaska, the best big town on the Top of the World highway.

Welcome sign to Chicken, guess about 30' high.

Public restrooms

Main shopping district, all owned by an expat Pa woman.

Chicken with some vintage gold mining vehicles.

Poker Creek, highest elevation and most northerly US border crossing, Top of the World highway.

Yukon River ferry crossing to Dawson

All aboard

Dawson City Yukon

A night's stay in the ambulance at Thompson's Eagle Claw motorcycle campground.

Registered
Those were GREAT pix, and very thought-provoking destinations.

Registered
Recognition of summer solstice a ride up the Dempster highway of Yukon and Northwest Territory on the summer solstice. 460 miles of dirt road each way across the arctic circle ending in Inuvik Northwest Territory. Arctic Circle is defined as the most southern latitude where on the summer solstice there is 24 hours of daylight. Summer solstice is a territorial holiday so everything is closed including the gas station at Fort Mcpherson. Not knowing or planning for this is a problem. That leaves only 1 gas station on the Dempster at the midpoint of 229 miles.

Arctic Circle is a popular place on the solstice, many people waiting and wanting their pic on the precise hour and minute of the solstice.

Peel River ferry crossing

All aboard

Gwichin First Nations cemetery

Registered
More of the Dempster, Mckenzie River ferry

Solstice celebration in Inuvik, free food for all, I liked that part

Catholic church in Inuvik

Inuvik

Registered
A final few on the Dempster, so hard to choose pics with 460 miles of beautiful and changing scenery. Parallels the Dalton Highway in Alaska and about the same length but I prefer the lesser known Dempster, more variety of scenery, more remote, 100% dirt, no big trucks running 70mph.
The start not far from Dawson City

A BIG wolf!

Softest night in a tent, lichens and moss must be 8" thick, so comfy

Get a passport book at the Tombstone visitor center 50 miles up the the Dempster, have it stamped at various places enroute and receive this at the arctic visitor center 400 miles later.

Registered
Enduro, really great pix! Thanks much! Those brightly colored pastel homes are the same as many in Newfoundland. Must be some kind of Canadian tradition I'm not aware of, or ever heard of.

Reactions: enduro

Registered
Once again Ed, some great pictures.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts