Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters, I am new to the forum and I attempted to find this exact issue and was unsuccessful. If you hit me with a lmgtfy link and a sound scolding for being unable to find this info on my own, I understand, let her rip.

A brief history about my bike and the issue I am having with my headlight. I have a 2006 VTX 1300r that the headlight will disable upon starting and I know that this is expected behavior. However, sometimes the headlight will not come back on the entire time the bike is running. I once rode home from work at night in the dark (with my cheeks clinched tight) and I hope to avoid doing that again in the future. Sometimes if I kill the bike, turn the key to off, and then attempt to restart it, the light will come on and stay on until I turn the key to off. However, this morning I wanted to ride the bike to work and started and killed the bike for 10 minutes and never was able to get the light to stay on.

So this issue first started a while back and then suddenly stopped and then suddenly came back again. I assumed it was a bad bulb, so I bought a a Silverstar H4 that worked fine for about 3 months. The issue popped back up about 2 weeks ago, so I ordered a PIAA powersports and installed it last week. I rode the bike three or four times to work since then and had no issue for a few rides. The issue once again resumed Monday night and again this morning.

I am at a loss as to what could cause such an intermittent electronics issue. My understanding of bulbs and fuses is if they are blown or bad, they don't work at all.

·
Registered
8,288 Posts
Yep, what Spike said. I bet if you bumped the starter button again while it is running and the headlight is off, that it would come on. Just about all of us have been through this one time or another.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA.
Best way to find something Google this "vtxoa: headlight" (Leave the quotes off)
The most common problem on the VTX..
Verify the shunt is moving freely before snapping the switch closed again.
Some contacts may have moved from the heat buildup and the shunt has to be able to tilt a fraction and slide up/down.

Make sure the headlight bulbs are 55/60 watt bulbs.
The switch nor wiring can handle higher wattage bulbs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check the fuse. I had something similar happen a few weeks ago on my long trip - no more issues after new fuse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had the same problem and it was the starter switch as others have mentioned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts