Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mount my 30 gb video ipod to my tank tux with its case and on every single freakin ride over 10 mins long it freezes. It doesnt matter what temperature it is out or what mode its in, shuffle or playlist it simply says its playing but stops counting and doesnt produce sound. I've probly reset it 100 times. ONLY ON MY BIKE. :x Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have one of the older click wheels made by HP you're screwed. Itune 7.0 and above causes them to crash and keep having problems. Neither Apple or HP will support it and Apple goes as far as to delete the complaints from their blog. Mine did the same thing till it eventually died. I'd buy a Zune but it has too much copywrite protection

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
His would be the newer version, my guess is it would be the harddrive. I use my ipod video while riding, but put it in a pocket as that helps keep it from vibrating too much. You have to remember that they have miniature hard drives in them and excessive vibration/bumps are not good for them. You might try to find something soft to pack it into to help smooth out the ride for it. The vibration and bumps aren't good for them and you are risking premature failure. Snowboarding I hit a couple bumps hard and it will skip, hasn't frozen completely, but did skip.

I love my Ipod Video and it gets used quite a bit, but for riding or bumpy activities a flash player seems like it would be better. They don't skip and you can hit them hard without having to worry about the harddrive spinning and getting damaged.

G

·
We use iPod videos. 60 and 80 Gig. Only time we ever had one lock up was due to dead battery.

You might try isolating the iPod from bike vibrations a bit.

Put some foam rubber between the ipod and bike.

I have had my iPod inside a magnetic tank bag, on top so it had stuff between it and the tank on 150 mile rides - NO ISSUES.

You say this occurs ONLY ON THE BIKE - so software version cannot be the culprit.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I've rebuilt alot of ipods and the bigger ones have tiny hard-drives. It is best to use one of the smaller ipods that use the flash drive. If you have an ipod mini with a bad hard drive you can put a piece of foam under it. I have noticed that the 20g - 30g seem to lock up the most from vibration. I have a 4g mini that works fine most the time, but seems to lock up about once out of every 10 to 20 hours of riding. I just reset it and it is fine. I am waiting for the drive to go bad so I can put in a flash drive.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are correct about the hard drive. I used an older 20G Ipod and it locked up all the time. Anything with a spinning hard drive is going to have a problem with the vibration from a motorcycle. When the disk becomes unbalanced the player can't recover. That is also why you don't see many people jogging with the older style players. So any player of any type over about 8Gig is going to have this problem unless you take drastic steps to eliminate vibration. I bought the 8 Gig Ipod nano to replace my older ipod (left the old one on a plane in mexico). The nano basucally uses a memory stick instead of the hard drive, no moving parts. It has never locked up. The only problem I have is the smaller wheel is harder to use on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yup.....30gig video Ipod. Freezes up about once per ride. It does not appear to like the shaking around. You need to put it in a jacket pocket or something similar....it does not like being mounted or affixed to the bike.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought the 30G Ipod and it has been nothing but a headache. I did about a 450 mile ride this weekend and the Ipod died with in the first 50 miles. I keep it on my belt in a case and it still freezes up and now with the slightest rattle it says that I need to restore tunes. I made a mistake

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I have my 4 gig. nano flapping in the breeze and never had 1 problem.
That thing takes some abuse and just keeps right on playing. 8)

G

·
samurrocket said:
I bought the 30G Ipod and it has been nothing but a headache. I did about a 450 mile ride this weekend and the Ipod died with in the first 50 miles. I keep it on my belt in a case and it still freezes up and now with the slightest rattle it says that I need to restore tunes. I made a mistake

You need to take that one back to Apple, something is wrong with it.

We have several iPods we use when riding.

iPod Mini
iPod Video ( 60 & 80 )
iPod Photo ( 60 )

Have not had a lock up except for one time, and that was due to my son not charging it up before we left home.

Mine is always inside a tank bag, so I can hit the buttons when need to.

We are going to stress the devil out of one next week. We have some vibration isolation material and are going to mount that to the inside of one side cover - they we will use some special double sided tape to mount the iPod to the foam.

I have a radio mounted to the battery box and the iPod will feed into that.

Of course if something goes amiss, it's under warranty! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
garysauctions said:
I have had my iPod inside a magnetic tank bag, on top so it had stuff between it and the tank on 150 mile rides - NO ISSUES.
Be careful to not let your iPod get to close to the magnets or you WILL have issues! They will erase or corrupt what is written on your hard drive.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Frogpoop said:
ok here is a stupid Q....when it freezed ( 30 gig) how do ya reset it
Cycle the Lock button on & than off. Than press and hold the center button & the play button down at the same time - hold for about 3-5 seconds. iPod will perform a soft reset. :wink:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts