Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 1800C with 31xxx mi., changed plugs (Denso VK20PRZ11 standard) at recommended interval at 8k with NGK BKR5EIX single iridium plug, that is one heat range colder. Not sure if it's RECOMMENDED to clean iridium plugs but I have. Have cleaned both sets once now. They clean up very well and don't notice any performance, starting, or idling issues. Any thoughts, ideas or just input on what you have done. Thanks...T

·
Super Moderator
64,337 Posts
I cleaned the stock plugs once a year with a soft brass brush. As long as the tip stays on, they will be fine. Snap that small tip off and you need a new plug

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Cleaning iridium, or platinum or any other coated plugs, with anything but a liquid cleaner can remove the very thin coating and effect plug performance. NOT recommended. That's why a wire gap gauge is required instead of a flat blade so you don't scrape off the coating when checking the gap.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coating

Big Jon, thanks, so what you saying is the Iridium is only a very thin coating covering the electrodes that can be subject to deterioration from say wire brushes or tools. Thanks...T

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plugs

CS, thanks as well, I hope they are talking about all their plugs. I don't feel so good about this now because I used brake cleaner and a small stainless steel wire toothbrush. The plugs had a hard carbon build up on them but still cleaned up nicely. Oh well, we'll see...T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts