Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that are interested.
If you want to do an Iron Butt run, be sure to document it carefully, and get the certificate.

All the info is available at:

www.ironbutt.com

www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/getdocument.cfm?DocID=1

There was talk from some of the canyon riders of doing one on the last leg home (I was one of them). We'll see if they still want to after being out there for a week. ;)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
:) Sounds like one way is ride 1000 miles in a 24 hr span... :wink: maybe doable by a few? Ed1947 8)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've said it before. I'd be willing to go on one of these.
I may work up a route during the summer.

·
Registered
589 Posts
A guy here at work is VERY serious about this. He starts in Dupont at the cop shop (where they verify the Date-Time Group for start) and rides down to CA along various routes to hit In/Out Burger (Yummy for us fat guys) and then home to get a return stamp from same. Must be documented very well along the way as well...he usually buys fuel at Flying J or other Truck stops that have scale/weight station since they usually have ability to provide better documentation than just fuel receipt.

Sound like fun, but may be a little excessive on the documentation. He's a really good dude even though he rides a HD and would probably like to join if someone puts a ride together.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've got a handful of IB certs so if anyone needs a witness let me know. Any other questions too,,,

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
VTX-Ryder said:
If you want to do an Iron Butt run, be sure to document it carefully, and get the certificate.

www.ironbutt.com

There was talk from some of the canyon riders of doing one on the last leg home (I was one of them). We'll see if they still want to after being out there for a week. ;)
Since you are not with us, we are not going to :lol: Not really, no one would be up for it.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WSUVTX said:
VTX-Ryder said:

www.ironbutt.com

Since you are not with us, we are not going to :lol: Not really, no one would be up for it.
With the miles that you guys are putting in, I have no doubt that no one will want to pull an IB at the end. ;)
It's one of those things that sounds great in the beginning, but after 3,000 or so miles begins to fade. lol

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
VTX-Ryder said:
I've said it before. I'd be willing to go on one of these.
I may work up a route during the summer.
I did an IBA Saddle-Sore (1000 in 24) a few years ago.

Leaving the Snohomish/Everett area to Boise ID and back should get it done.

Just a suggestion . . . .

I started my ride at 2:00AM, pretty much gassed and goad, and tried to run at 5 mph over the limit, made it to Boise for a 45 minute break to eat lunch, turned around and started home. Made it to the drive way around 10:00PM the same day . . . took a shower, then slept 10 hours. I know starting at 2:00AM sounds strange, but it gets you home for bed time by the end of the IBA.

Be careful the last 150 miles are grueling. Drink lots of water and a couple of candy bars for a quick rush of energy.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
An easy route is here to Medford (prolly Ashford from this far south) or so. I get down there in 7 or 8 fairly easily...Now: could I make it back after a four hour nap?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
tubbythetuba said:
An easy route is here to Medford (prolly Ashford from this far south) or so. I get down there in 7 or 8 fairly easily...Now: could I make it back after a four hour nap?
From my house to Weed, CA is 502 miles. Weed... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
bigd_74 said:
tubbythetuba said:
From my house to Weed, CA is 502 miles. Weed... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah...about another hour from Medford.....I must have been using "Honda Miles" and not real miles :lol: :oops:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Missoula Montana?
An "easy" run east on I-90. Got some nice scenery along the way to keep the trip interesting. Go from seashore, to Cascades, to desert, to Crossing into the Rockies.

And you don't have to go through Portland. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Anyone considered a northern run, like "Bellingham to Calgary"? That's about 500 miles, according to Google maps. I have no idea what the roads are like, but it might be a very pretty ride.

·
Registered
379 Posts
This saturday

I have application in hand, Thinking on the I 90 to montana. Anybody interested. leaving the Everett Area.
John maybe on the way to mardon.
I was thinking of leaving in the early AM.
Come on Bobonaboat, Lets test out those trees.
Karl?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Candy Ass

Yep, that's probably not gonna happen for me.

Call me a candy ass, but I have no desire to have that certificate, or the pain that goes with it....

Have fun, though! I'll be looking forward to the stories from the trenches!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Re: This saturday

LoneArcher said:
I have application in hand, Thinking on the I 90 to montana. Anybody interested. leaving the Everett Area.
Karl?
It would be an honor to ride with you . . . .

I did one a few years back, went to Boise and back with my friend Lloyd Gardner, by the time I got to Boise (first 500 miles) I was ready to rent a room, but I pressed on, then by the time I got to Ellensberg (return side) I was fatigued, worn out, eyes blood shot and my azz, arms and neck ached. I really had to push it the last hundred miles, it's not easy!

Nuff crying ....

As you've heard the 1300's speedo's are off . . . . do a mapquest mileage check to Missoula or Boise and back. Add a few miles (like 50) beyond those points for possible error. Read the out lines at the IBA site on how to document your IBA. Then we'll start the ride at 2:00AM. WHY?

1. If we gas & go for 150 mile legs of the ride that would put us in Missoula or Boise and then some around 12 noon, take a 45 minute break for lunch, turn around and do it all over again.

2. With any luck that would put us home around 10:00PM the same day and you'd be ready to crash with the IBA under you belt within a 20 to 21 hour period.

This way might sound crazy . . . . but it gets you home around bed time at the end of the IBA and does not throw off your sleep patterns.

Let me know when you want to IBA the Bon Jovi way (cause I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride . . . . wanted dead or alive!) Then we'll rock.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Re: Candy Ass

bobonaboat said:
Yep, that's probably not gonna happen for me.

Call me a candy ass, but I have no desire to have that certificate, or the pain that goes with it....

Have fun, though! I'll be looking forward to the stories from the trenches!
Bob -

I won't call you late for dinner. :lol: :lol: Just teasing.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Shooter Jones said:
LoneArcher said:
Karl?

I did one a few years back, went to Boise and back with my friend Lloyd Gardner, by the time I got to Boise (first 500 miles) I was ready to rent a room, but I pressed on, then by the time I got to Ellensberg (return side) I was fatigued, worn out, eyes blood shot and my azz, arms and neck ached. I really had to push it the last hundred miles, it's not easy!

Nuff crying ....

As you've heard the 1300's speedo's are off . . . . do a mapquest mileage check to Missoula or Boise and back. Add a few miles (like 50) beyond those points for possible error. Read the out lines at the IBA site on how to document your IBA. Then we'll start the ride at 2:00AM. WHY?

1. If we gas & go for 150 mile legs of the ride that would put us in Missoula or Boise and then some around 12 noon, take a 45 minute break for lunch, turn around and do it all over again.

2. With any luck that would put us home around 10:00PM the same day and you'd be ready to crash with the IBA under you belt within a 20 to 21 hour period.

This way might sound crazy . . . . but it gets you home around bed time at the end of the IBA and does not throw off your sleep patterns.

Let me know when you want to IBA the Bon Jovi way (cause I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride . . . . wanted dead or alive!) Then we'll rock.
Karl, Boise sounds good. Its 524 miles. And three states. Easy to get a single page map.( for the book)
We can do Rattlesnake ridge on sunday:)
I am going to have to get my front tire changed mid week. Would probably make it. But to be safe. And get my oil changed.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

LoneArcher said:
Shooter Jones said:
LoneArcher said:
Karl?

Nuff crying ....

Karl, Boise sounds good. Its 524 miles. And three states. Easy to get a single page map.( for the book)
We can do Rattlesnake ridge on sunday:)
I am going to have to get my front tire changed mid week. Would probably make it. But to be safe. And get my oil changed.
Do you want to do it this Saturday?

:mcrider:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
mardon

Why not bring the girls and come on over to Mardon with the rest of us fools this weekend?

Looks like Lee has a cool ride set for Saturday!

The more the merrier!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts