Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got invited to do an Iron Butt run, 1000 miles in 24 hours. Any advice? Just got ultimate seats on my VTX1800t. Has Honda windshield and saddlebags stock. Also have some top end rain gear. Plan is to leave Jacksonville Florida 20th April to New Orleans and then back. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Here is a good start

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

I just completed a RAT (ride around Texas) last weekend. 3200 miles in 81 hours. Should qualify for a SS1000, BB1500 and a RAT Insanity certification all in one ride. The best advice I can give you is stay away from the carbs and watch out for fatigue.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just got invited to do an Iron Butt run, 1000 miles in 24 hours. Any advice? Just got ultimate seats on my VTX1800t. Has Honda windshield and saddlebags stock. Also have some top end rain gear. Plan is to leave Jacksonville Florida 20th April to New Orleans and then back. Thanks for any advice.
I did the Iron Butt from Tyler Tx to Tuscaloosa Ala. about 4 yrs ago and it was in Oct and got very cold at night. The only thing i could tell to remember is that your going to stop every 2 hours or so. The time really wont hit you till the trip back. if possible find a way to carry water with you. If I was you i would leave early that morning then you will know the route going back because you rode it in day light. If you have any question you are more than welcome to email me. [email protected] FYI..im playing on doing the 2000 miles in 48 hours in June...Tyler TX. to Portland OR.
Dont for get to go to their website and print out the form and save all receipts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

I just completed a RAT (ride around Texas) last weekend. 3200 miles in 81 hours. Should qualify for a SS1000, BB1500 and a RAT Insanity certification all in one ride. The best advice I can give you is stay away from the carbs and watch out for fatigue.
Just saw where your from...i grew up in Rockwall and ride up that way sometimes maybe next time we could meet up?

·
Registered
299 Posts
if you dont have a back rest it would be wise to put a bag of some sort to make one so you dont get to tired and back start to bother you. Plus if possible make some long rides to get used to it. but most of all have fun with it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
even with the ultimate seat you should go to local auto store and buy a round gel seat to sit on, makes a hell of a difference.
first 5-600 mile no problem, after that your ass will feel it, so get the gel
Also as another rider mentioned in no back rest make sure you have a sport bag or something on your passenger seat for some back support.
Stay well hydrated.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
get a Camel Bak for your ride......

One big thing is to stay hydrated. This is one that will sneak up on ya and clobber ya. I have lived "out west" for over thirty years and the last 20 plus years have been at 4400 feeet. I don't know if you are familiar with the Camel Bak but, it is terrific since it can be used in flight and give lots of liquid. I would also suggest some sort of energy bar to keep the alert level up. Just remember not to get a sugar crash mid flight. To get your Iron Butt you must have some kind of proof as you go such as photos or signatures or something. My experience was that a police officer is usually handy and most are willing to provide a signature for your trip. They understand what you are doing and quite a lot of them ride.

Stay safe and have a fun ride,
Six2go

·
Super Moderator
64,114 Posts
Treat it as a marathon and start training now. Not kidding here at all, if you have never done anything like this before, you probably won't make it on your first go if you don't start riding long rides now. Start with a 200 mile ride out and back with only fuel stops. Then increase it by 100 miles and so on. This will get your body and mind in shape for the 1000 miles. Yep, sitting here just talking about it you're thinking....."Well 1000 miles is only 6 fuel stops, no problem..." In my case that's down to 4 stops. Let me tell you, it's a LOT harder than it seems. Especially when you get down to the last 200 miles when you're watching the odometer and it seems as if it isn't moving at all. Your ass is killing you, your back is burning and spasming, your eyes are staying closed longer and longer with every blink.........

Water/fluids at every stop
Light snacks at every fuel stop, NO HEAVY MEALS
Leave at night after a good DAYS sleep, so you finish in the daylight when you're most tired
Take a picture at every gas station with the receipt

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Lots of great tips. Have made a couple 600 mile trips and this one will certainly be a challenge.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
if you have NOT gone 600 miles in one day this season. start warming up... the only way to do 1000/in 24. and drink Lots of Water. not other stuff. Water.
if you get tired.. stop. if your eyes start to drop.. stop. sleepy... stop. having to use more effort to control the bike... stop.
I have done 1000 in 24 maybe 15 times.. never tried for the club. mostly long distance weekend trips.

6 years straight, Cleveland Ohio to Tampa Florida. "Tentpegger" BMW weekends. On a Honda...
leave Thursday evening and arrive Tampa Friday Noon. leave Tampa Sunday am. home Sunday evening.. to work on Monday...
plus (2) 100 miles poker runs on Saturday.

about 16 hours one way.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
The most I have ever done was 1171 miles in 23 hours from central Or to bullhead city Az. I was 68 yr old at the time and riding a valkyrie.It was easy for me riding the valk with a corbin seat and backrest.The hardest part was the heat in the summer in the desert so.west.DO take plenty of water and maybe a 20 minute nap at a rest stop it helped me stay awake .A person can fall asleep even on a mc so be careful .Have fun.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
If you've never ridden that kind of mileage I might reconsider doing an IB run. Fatigue, mental acuity, how to properly fuel yourself during the run, etc.

It's kind of like running a half marathon or more, it's not something you just decide to go run one day with zero practice.

·
Registered
953 Posts
cruise control or a throttle lock helps save the wrists--I would also use the crampbuster on both left and right grips

·
Registered
9,067 Posts
If you've never ridden that kind of mileage I might reconsider doing an IB run. Fatigue, mental acuity, how to properly fuel yourself during the run, etc.

It's kind of like running a half marathon or more, it's not something you just decide to go run one day with zero practice.
I did. :dontknow: It was pretty simple actually - I needed to move the bike and had a day to do it. I figured if I got in a bind I could always stop and sleep somewhere if I had too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We ll Canyon is less than 3 hours from completeing his Iron butt run, he will comment about his experiences I am sure.
Me, not interested, if you do it, good luck, ride safe and don't be stupid, rest some!
Coop

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's really not as difficult as i thought it was. We did a trip to Sturgis last August. Left Houston at 6am and finally caught up with another group in Grand Island NE at midnight. 18 hours... 958 miles! The VTX1800C is an awesome bike for a trip that long. It purrs along and the Mustang seat is extremely comfortable. I had footpegs not floorboards like I do now. That would have made a HUGE difference. I recommend them for long distances. After a few hours of sleep I was ready for the "short" 300 mile hop to Sturgis the next day. Have a great ride... Be safe!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So many great tips. Thanks so very much. Would have thought coffee would be a must. Now know that water is the key. Will be hitting Miami in 11 days (round trip). Iron Butt Saddle Sore ride 7 days later. Leesburg Bike Fest 7 days after that. I'm so excited I can hardly wait. Ad posted on Facebook said Kid Rock will be at Buffalo Chips Sturgis this year. 75th anniversary 2015, going to be huge. Trailered to Sturgis last year, hopping to make the 1.9k bike run for my next visit. Great fun and tons of incredible rides.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
I did. :dontknow: It was pretty simple actually - I needed to move the bike and had a day to do it. I figured if I got in a bind I could always stop and sleep somewhere if I had too.
It's not something someone should just go do.

Truthfully there is a lot that can go wrong.

When one is in a competition (like an iron butt) you want to keep going past when you should. You knew if you got tired you'd stop. Someone on an IB won't.

Dunno, it's not something I'd advocate anyone with limited riding experience try. Not having a clue of the OP's usual saddle time, it's not fair to them to say, "Do it. You'll be fine". 1,000 miles on a bike is a lot different then 1,000 miles in a car. If you aren't used to wind buffeting that is going to wear you out faster. If you don't know what to eat or drink to keep yourself alert, you'll get tired. If you chose to start at the wrong time of day, you'll be exhausted and riding at night. There are more factors that that, I'm just mentioning some of the bigger ones.

To each their own, I'd never tell someone with unknown or limited experience "Go for it."

·
Registered
533 Posts
As everyone else said drink plenty of water. One thing that almost messed me up was road construction. Got tied up in traffic and only made it by about 15 minutes to spare. It would be a good idea to check your route for that. Also it is easy to loose time when fueling when with other riders, stretching talking and taking potty breaks. . As best I can remember we allowed no more than about 8-10 minutes per stop. We stopped ever 100-125 miles as the other rider was on an 1800 and need fuel more often and that seemed to help with fatigue. Also be sure to log everything and keep all receipts. My rider partner lost some receipts and never got his certificate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts