Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm headed to Canada on a bike trip for a few days and need to know if Canada's electrical voltage is the same as the US or if I need a transformer for the trip.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
334 Posts
All the same. Your good to go.

On another note, you should check that your insurance coverage extends to Canada, depending on the agency/carrier, they may have to send/fax you a "special" card for Canada.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
biod929 said:
Yes, but your stuff will now make an 'eh' sound after using it.
Everybody knows they are the say, eh. So go ahead you hoser and plug it in to the Great White North.

·
Registered
672 Posts
LoneRanger said:
biod929 said:
Everybody knows they are the say, eh. So go ahead you hoser and plug it in to the Great White North.
What are you talking aboot?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Come have some back bacon and some beers for breakfast, eh hoser......

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Do you realize how offensive this is to us Canucks? I am getting so hot under the collar by igloo is beginning to melt! :D
Gotta run... have to feed the sled dogs...EH
As for the original question... where did you ever hear that we actually have electricity up here? :wink:

Have fun in Dover. I am really trying hard to get there myself.

Cheers
Jthree

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
va_bank said:
LoneRanger said:
biod929 said:
What are you talking aboot?
We are talking abooot the prO-cess of using electrons in the great white north. But you can just Take Off!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Enjoy your trip !! One cautionary note....be sure to leave your guns at home. Our tax collectors...ooops, ...I mean our border security dudes well same thing, get real pissy pants about guns. :roll:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Talking To Americans was a regular feature presented by Rick Mercer on the Canadian political satire show This Hour Has 22 Minutes. It was later spun off into a one-hour special that aired on April 1, 2001 on CBC Television.

It consisted of interviewing Americans on the street and convincing them to agree with ridiculous statements about their northern neighbour. It uses clips from 22 Minutes and exclusive clips for this special, which was shown to the studio audience of 22 Minutes.

The intent was to satirize perceived American ignorance of Canada. Examples included:

asking Americans what they felt about the Russian invasion of Chechnya and Saskatchewan
getting several Americans to say that Edmonton should be bombed
telling residents of Chicago that Canada was considering changing its name to Chicago, and asking them what they felt about that idea
asking if Americans should try to liberate Nelson Mandela
persuading Americans to congratulate Canada on legalizing VCRs or adopting the twenty-four-hour day,
various political controversies involving one or more Canadian provinces.
congratulating the Canadian government on building a dome over its "national igloo" (apparently a downsized version of the United States Capitol made out of ice) to protect it from global warming (one of the interview subjects so fooled was Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee)
agreeing that the U.S. should bomb Saskatchewan or send ground troops into Gilles Duceppe
having Americans congratulate Canada on legalizing insulin (although it was a Canadian who first discovered insulin)
proposing the idea that a Canadian company actually had the mining rights to Mount Rushmore
suggesting that when Canada made a replica of Mount Rushmore, they might add Taft, Nixon, and Mulroney -- at one point, a woman objected to Taft, saying that he did not best display American qualities, but she was fine with adding Brian Mulroney, former PM of Canada
congratulating Canada for officially joining North America.
controversy around the reconstruction of the historic "Peter Mann's Bridge", named after "Prime Minister Peter Mann" (actually a pun on the name of Canadian journalist Peter Mansbridge)
asking if Jean Chrétien-Pinochet should be charged with crimes against humanity.
asking students and professors at Columbia University to sign a petition asking Canadians to discontinue the practice of abandoning the elderly on ice floes.
congratulating Prime Minister Tim Horton on getting a double-double (a coffee with two creams and two sugars or, according to Mercer, 'support on both sides of Congress').
congratulating Canada on legalizing the stapler.
the coronation of Svend Robinson as King Svend I.
congratulating Canada for moving the capital city from Kingston, Ontario to Toronto (Ottawa is the capital city of Canada, not Toronto).
asking university students and professors to sign a petition against Saskatchewan seal hunt.
asking Americans how many states does Canada have (it should be provinces and not states)
wishing Canadians a "Happy Stockwell Day".
congratulating Canadians on classifying Labrador Retrievers as elephants, to prevent them from being used for hard labour.
tricking Americans that Canada did not have "high tech" things like airplanes, paved roads or FM radio.
congratulating Canadians on offering bilingual tours of Joe Clark's Hole.

Rick Mercer Talking to small child who pointed out that Canada has provinces and not statesSome of the Americans interviewed seemed just to be playing along, although professors at distinguished American universities always seemed to be taken in by absurdities like the Saskatchewan seal hunt. The only Americans who were shown outsmarting Mercer were a university student who spent her time laughing at him, and a small child who pointed out to his mother, who was also tricked, that Canada has provinces, not states, before his mother realizing that she's being fooled by Rick Mercer.

The most famous segment, aired in 2000, featured Mercer asking then-presidential candidate George W. Bush – who had previously stated that "you can't stump me on world leaders" – for his reaction to an endorsement by Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine".

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Knight said:
Talking To Americans was a regular feature presented by Rick Mercer on the Canadian political satire show This Hour Has 22 Minutes. It was later spun off into a one-hour special that aired on April 1, 2001 on CBC Television.

It consisted of interviewing Americans on the street and convincing them to agree with ridiculous statements about their northern neighbour. It uses clips from 22 Minutes and exclusive clips for this special, which was shown to the studio audience of 22 Minutes.

The intent was to satirize perceived American ignorance of Canada. Examples included:

asking Americans what they felt about the Russian invasion of Chechnya and Saskatchewan
getting several Americans to say that Edmonton should be bombed
telling residents of Chicago that Canada was considering changing its name to Chicago, and asking them what they felt about that idea
asking if Americans should try to liberate Nelson Mandela
persuading Americans to congratulate Canada on legalizing VCRs or adopting the twenty-four-hour day,
various political controversies involving one or more Canadian provinces.
congratulating the Canadian government on building a dome over its "national igloo" (apparently a downsized version of the United States Capitol made out of ice) to protect it from global warming (one of the interview subjects so fooled was Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee)
agreeing that the U.S. should bomb Saskatchewan or send ground troops into Gilles Duceppe
having Americans congratulate Canada on legalizing insulin (although it was a Canadian who first discovered insulin)
proposing the idea that a Canadian company actually had the mining rights to Mount Rushmore
suggesting that when Canada made a replica of Mount Rushmore, they might add Taft, Nixon, and Mulroney -- at one point, a woman objected to Taft, saying that he did not best display American qualities, but she was fine with adding Brian Mulroney, former PM of Canada
congratulating Canada for officially joining North America.
controversy around the reconstruction of the historic "Peter Mann's Bridge", named after "Prime Minister Peter Mann" (actually a pun on the name of Canadian journalist Peter Mansbridge)
asking if Jean Chrétien-Pinochet should be charged with crimes against humanity.
asking students and professors at Columbia University to sign a petition asking Canadians to discontinue the practice of abandoning the elderly on ice floes.
congratulating Prime Minister Tim Horton on getting a double-double (a coffee with two creams and two sugars or, according to Mercer, 'support on both sides of Congress').
congratulating Canada on legalizing the stapler.
the coronation of Svend Robinson as King Svend I.
congratulating Canada for moving the capital city from Kingston, Ontario to Toronto (Ottawa is the capital city of Canada, not Toronto).
asking university students and professors to sign a petition against Saskatchewan seal hunt.
asking Americans how many states does Canada have (it should be provinces and not states)
wishing Canadians a "Happy Stockwell Day".
congratulating Canadians on classifying Labrador Retrievers as elephants, to prevent them from being used for hard labour.
tricking Americans that Canada did not have "high tech" things like airplanes, paved roads or FM radio.
congratulating Canadians on offering bilingual tours of Joe Clark's Hole.

Rick Mercer Talking to small child who pointed out that Canada has provinces and not statesSome of the Americans interviewed seemed just to be playing along, although professors at distinguished American universities always seemed to be taken in by absurdities like the Saskatchewan seal hunt. The only Americans who were shown outsmarting Mercer were a university student who spent her time laughing at him, and a small child who pointed out to his mother, who was also tricked, that Canada has provinces, not states, before his mother realizing that she's being fooled by Rick Mercer.

The most famous segment, aired in 2000, featured Mercer asking then-presidential candidate George W. Bush – who had previously stated that "you can't stump me on world leaders" – for his reaction to an endorsement by Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine".

That sure was a lot of typing there, EH?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
dezzy7 said:
Ok I'm headed to Canada on a bike trip for a few days and need to know if Canada's electrical voltage is the same as the US or if I need a transformer for the trip.

Anyone know for sure?
Electricity? In Canada? Pfffft! I wish! In the National Igloo maybe, but not in Hotels :roll:

Knight -- we thought of the same thing. The subject tittle sounded like an episode of Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans"! :lol:

Floodgates 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dezzy7, glad to hear you're coming up. I'm an old Georgia boy (Jesup in Wayne county) who's now living in the great white north. Take it from me, the electricity is all the same, the beer is a little stronger and the gas is a lot more expensive! Watch for out for the potholes and they really don't have any sense of humour about guns.

Be careful out there, eh :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thirsty said:
Dezzy7, glad to hear you're coming up. I'm an old Georgia boy (Jesup in Wayne county) who's now living in the great white north. Take it from me, the electricity is all the same, the beer is a little stronger and the gas is a lot more expensive! Watch for out for the potholes and they really don't have any sense of humour about guns.

Be careful out there, eh :D
Hey Georgia Boy! :) Damn you're not far from me. I moved up to Canada from Charlotte NC a few years back. Spent time in Ontario but moved out to Vancouver 6 months ago. Had to look up Port Alice on Google maps!? :oops: I haven't made it out to the island yet, but have plans to this summer. Figure I'll cover Victoria, Tofino, and Port Hardy!

How's the ride in from Port McNeil?? May have to have a looksie at this little burg of yours? :D

Have you rode the sunshine coast from Gibsons to Lund? That's as close to the passage as I've gotten. Fantastic ride though!

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread dezzy. Enjoy your trip! If you decide to head east instead of west, you have to see and do Nova Scotia! Best ride out that way is the Cabot Trail!

It's a top 10 in my book :D

http://cycle-travels.phanfare.com/album ... D=13105379

·
Registered
18 Posts
O.K now you've gone a done it eh! You have the Hosers all upset now..
Now you Americans know why we have so much fun with Y'all when you come up to Ontario in July with Skii's on the roof of your car and you ask how far north until you get to snow... No Kidding, happens all the time..

Dezzy7, we look forward to seeing you in Dover tomorrow, hope you had a good ride. The latest weather says mostly sunny, just a few clouds..

The guy on the old 70's Honda wearing nothing but a thong will be there..always is, even in January when the snow is flying....lol..

I'll be the guy with the Black VTX.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts