Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
.... hoping that them Harleys are gonna be discounted.
Harley has always put up strong resistance against discounting new left over motorcycles by $100s or $1000s of dollars. Honda and others will discount to move older new bikes, but not Harley. You might catch a break on used bikes, but not by much.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
You can love HD or hate 'em but, the days of being a less "reliable" brand are LONG over. I work on motorcycles damn near full time (May - September) and HDs product is world class. As good as any in the market place. VTOX, that feeling your describing is very likely due to the HDs lower center of gravity. It is an advantage. My 1800C has been my favorite motorcycle (out of many) ever but, I will be returning to an HD just for that reason. A rip snortin' soft tail Bobber is what I've got in mind.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I can not speak of the Road King and similar..

but the few late model bikes... 103 Dana, 103 Street Glide.. and a few I do not remember... are Way to Small for me to ride comfortably.
I have not tried any 107 or 114 yet. as dealers in the area do not have any used to test ride.
but in 2004.. Honda dealer was willing to take a NEW VTX1800 off the floor and put a battery in it for me to ride for the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Harley makes good bikes and is an Icon brand. Yes they are too expensive for me but i see tons of riders on new Harleys and they are not just older gents either. On group rides i have been on 80%+ of the bikes are Harleys. Same with the bikes i see cruising around my area. Even though i can't, there are plenty of people who can afford a Harley.

I wish Harley the best and feel that the name will continue as a Motorcycle manufacturer for generations to come.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I get that Chuck. And I've no intention of getting rid of my X. I rode that bike out of Hell (long story) and will keep it til the end. Looking at a '95 HST tomorrow, lot of miles (57,500) but, that doesn't worry me if it runs good and the price is right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
HD makes a remarkable bike on an antique platform!! Guess they missed the other builders using shaft drive, integrated transmissions, actual water cooling, overhead cams....etc...the refusal to break from their traditional design to appease their dwindling buyer base, will spell doom for them...

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
I get that Chuck. And I've no intention of getting rid of my X. I rode that bike out of Hell (long story) and will keep it til the end. Looking at a '95 HST tomorrow, lot of miles (57,500) but, that doesn't worry me if it runs good and the price is right.
By '95 the 80inch Evo was pretty bullet proof unless you were looking for big HP numbers. A well taken care of 1340 was good for 100K mi.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Slickster, In case you have not noticed the 'platform' HD uses is essentially the exact same platform as a VTX, and probably 80% of the other MCs in the world. A twin downtube steel frame with sprung/damped rear suspension and a hydraulic telescoping front fork. While shaft drive is clean and quiet it is also parasitic. And by the way, the VTX is not a true OHC engine. It is a Cam In Head (CIE) engine. Still uses rocker arms. There is little advantage to OHC for engines that turn (rpm) as slowly as a VTX or HD. I agree that liquid cooling is superior but, it also adds weight, complexity, and further parasitic draw off crankshaft. I also agree that HDs customer base is no doubt shrinking. That's a horse of another color.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thinking more along lines of their antique engne design with separate transmission requiring a primary chain, then to belt drive, air cooled, (barely), with all the accompanying oils, seals etc.....HD is more worried about how their bike sounds than how it performs....

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've owned 5 HDs and have done serious touring of the States and Canada on them, no more, would take a Goldwing over any of them....the engineering and development in a wing compared to a new Glide says it all....Honda will go on, HD, slow downhill slide

·
Super Moderator
6,455 Posts
Thinking more along lines of their antique engne design with separate transmission requiring a primary chain, then to belt drive, air cooled, (barely), with all the accompanying oils, seals etc.....HD is more worried about how their bike sounds than how it performs....
Not true given the fact that the stock M8 motor, HD's newest, sounds nothing at all like Harleys of yesteryear. In fact mine sounded almost exactly like my X until I installed a torque cam in it. Also they don't (and should not), idle down nearly as far as the older motors so there is no more potato potato out of the M8. You info and experiences appear to be dated, or at least don't include what you'll see on dealership floors at this time.

I've owned 5 HDs and have done serious touring of the States and Canada on them, no more, would take a Goldwing over any of them....the engineering and development in a wing compared to a new Glide says it all....Honda will go on, HD, slow downhill slide
GWs are amazing bikes, chock full of the latest and greatest technology. But they don't physically fit taller riders or those who don't want to sit upright in the saddle. In effect they are one bike to fit all, in spite of the fact that they are well done, extremely dependable and capable. But in the world of riders between 20 and 40ish they're mostly not the first choice.
I don't know what's in store for HD, and although I don't agree with their approach to things like customer appreciation and loyalty, they are developing new bikes, tech, and providing both in many different forms and models. To try and find what works for the most people. So, at least they're trying to stay relevant. To all riders. How close they hit the mark remains to be seen. But we can't gauge their success solely by looking through today's lense of diminishing ridership. Riders are not staying away because they don't like what is out there, they're staying away because they don't ride, period.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Apparently not and neither is this thread....;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah, I get all that to some degree, but HDs commitment to stick with the air cooled, V-twin, vintage design with all it's limitations, as their primary line, only appeals to a disappearing, James Dean, Peter Fonda type biker, yes they tried several departures from that formula with their entry level bikes, electric bike etc, too little, too late....their company stock has continued to slide, they closed one assembly plant, as a company they will either, downsize and streamline, get bought out by a larger company, or just go bankrupt and end it, I have several rider friends that own big HDs, are HOG members, and have purchased their last bikes ever, or are getting out of riding altogether

·
Super Moderator
6,455 Posts
Time will tell Slickster. You could be right, but I hope you're wrong. Things come and go. And we sometimes/often tend to not appreciate what we've got until it's gone. And then someone brings it back. I hope it doesn't come to that, and don't believe it will, but HD may not have reached the lowest depths to which they will go yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
10-4 on that, hope the new CEO figures a way out of their predicament....still scan craigslist for an old EVO that needs some love, cheap....

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Twice as painful hearing it from a douche bag from "eastern Europe, behind the Iron Curtain ".... (n)
Yeah, that's the problem (with Harley, too) exactly. When companies or the mindset of people can't change...
The World has changed. There is no Iron Curtain any more and probably there is no future for Harley Davidson any more (because there won't be customers who buy Harleys any more). Some people still living in an era, which slowly fading away. The Harley brand and "life style" is part of that slowly fading era.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts