Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told yesterday that we should take our bike's out for a ride on New Year's Day to bring good riding luck in the new year.

Has anyone ever heard of this? It's a first for me. :dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
64,224 Posts
Sure, if you believe in that sort of thing. Italians, well at least my in-laws, Say to run outside with wads of cash so that you will make money in the new year. But, they also like to eat lamb eye's too so.

Everyone has their own superstitions. I won't finish my plate ever, I will always leave one bit left on it. I also must have a shamrock on my vehicles and even had one tattooed on me from my hockey playing days. Was in a slump in net, and my grandmother sent me a shamrock she picked in Ireland. I took it with me to my game that night. I shut the other team out. Hence that superstition.

·
Super Moderator
64,224 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.

There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”

Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in

Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"

That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....

The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here

Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749

Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
43 Posts
New years traditions

I guess everyone has their own little tradition they do depending on where you live. In Tennessee we eat hogs jaw and blackeyed peas for health and money, we do not wash cloths due to the fact of washing someone out of the family. This could be a good thing if you could select who you washed out. Ha HA

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here in Ohio we eat cabbage or sauerkraut and pork. At midnight everyone with a gun goes out at midnight and fires their guns in the air.
Last night was a little scarry for me since I just got off work at that time.
Glad I was in the cage (what goes up must come down).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Riding on New Years Day

There was this older gentleman where I used to work, had a tradition that he and some of his friends would go out and play golf every New Years Day. The number of holes they played would depend on the weather, this was in Oklahoma. If there was snow on the ground, they would at least play one hole.

I thought this was a neat idea to do something like this.

I guess going out for a bike ride every New Years Day could be a new tradition too. Depending on the weather would determine the lenght of your ride. :thumbup:

Happy New Year and Ride Safe in 2009

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I was told yesterday that we should take our bike's out for a ride on New Year's Day to bring good riding luck in the new year.

Yes, I have heard of it and I take one of the bikes out every New Year's Day for at least a short ride. I missed a New Year's ride two years ago because of snow and ice on the roads. It was a good safe year of riding even though I didn't ride on New Year's Day two years ago.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I take a ride on New Years even if it is a short one. I go 10 miles for every 10 degrees of wind chill, today the wind chill was 37 so I went 38 miles, if it had been zero, I would have went 10 miles. Ice and snow on the road is the exception. It was pretty nice out today and hadn't gotten to ride for about 3 weeks because of snow and ice on the road, so getting out today was a real nice change and what a way to start out the new year.

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
I got my New Year smiles per miles in...
eased the PMS just a bit if nothin else. ~M

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Welcom to the board!

Yea, I think it is. Oil prices are way down, and the economy follows oil more than any other indicator. Gunna be a great year if we can get past the first half of it. BTW, make sure you have those Black Eyed Peas sometime today. LOL

·
Registered
118 Posts

I've heard it, and I've made a point to try to take a short ride each Jan. 1st. I don't really believe in luck (good or bad), but it just seems like a great way to start the new year. I only did about 30 miles today in 32-34 degree weather. It felt good! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
I guess everyone has their own little tradition they do depending on where you live. In Tennessee we eat hogs jaw and blackeyed peas for health and money, we do not wash cloths due to the fact of washing someone out of the family. This could be a good thing if you could select who you washed out. Ha HA
Same in NC Hog Jawl and black eye peas.....been doing it as long as I can remember and wouldn't miss it if my life depended on it. That's good eatin':thumbup:

Disciple;)

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Here in Ohio we eat cabbage or sauerkraut and pork. At midnight everyone with a gun goes out at midnight and fires their guns in the air.
Last night was a little scarry for me since I just got off work at that time.
Glad I was in the cage (what goes up must come down).

Just heard on the news ......they found a bullet in a baby's diaper....true

I forget what state, they said what goes up must come down.

I got to do a running burn out on my neighbors kawi 2000 arg...what a monster

·
Registered
962 Posts
Took my New Years run. Good luck or no, just gettin out was a joy! (Even if we did hit some snow!) That's the reason to ride on New Years.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I ride everyday year round so I usually ride anyways, but I always try and ride both the 31st and 1st even if I have other plans or if weather sucks...

Just feels like riding is how I want the old year to end and the new year to start. LOL

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I took my New years Artic ride with the group I ride with we had right at 60 bikes it is all about being together with the folks you are in to and doing the thing you all enjoy . putting the knees in the breeze

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I took my New years Artic ride with the group I ride with we had right at 60 bikes it is all about being together with the folks you are in to and doing the thing you all enjoy . putting the knees in the breeze
They had a couple "icicle rides" around here....but I figured, I ride everyday in cold temps, into the single digits so I didnt need to prove anything...I wasnt too kean on riding with a bunch of guys who havent ridden since october.....LOL...so I just rode by myself. I was the only bike on the road yesterday and I saw two others on the 31st.....That was it.

And it wasnt even that cold around here.....28-34 degrees.

Where's the dedication? LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts