Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I apologize ahead of time if this sounds improbable and I’m just thinking outloud here. But would it be possible to replace the coolant in my 06 VTX 1300C without removing the gas tank? Could one remove the overflow line from the overflow tank and use to backfill the coolant via the overflow line?
Thanks!

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
I dont have a clue about your question....But System needs to be burped....what’s your problem with removing the tank....in its entirety not a hard job...good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you only need remove the front mounting screws for the tank. I believe the rear nut acts as a hinge to tilt the tank out of the way so you don't have to remove all the fuel lines.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
I think you only need remove the front mounting screws for the tank. I believe the rear nut acts as a hinge to tilt the tank out of the way so you don't have to remove all the fuel lines.
There are no fronT screws on the tank...unless u count the speedo cover...and the rear bolt has to be removed...there is no hinging...there is no tilting...OP get a manual..either hard copy or pdf...

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
If you can find the front mounting screws that will be an amazing find.
You can remove the rear tank bolt and lift the tank but it still will be in the way.
Unscrew the 3 bottom screws from the speedo cluster. Remove fuel cap,
push speedo cluster forward a little, lift cluster, tie to the handlebar.
Right rear vent hose will pull off when tank is lifted.
I suggest that the tank should be run until it is near empty.
A full tank is difficult to handle.
Remove petcock fuel and vacuum hoses.
Lift rear of tank a little and Pull tank back to release from horns/knobs.
Lift tank and place on a towel.

Attachments

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
You can remove the rear tank bolt and lift the tank but it still will be in the way.
I’m sorry Hans...I just cant be u these newbs gotta learn.... ;)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The tank is in the way for so many things. Learn the procedure (it isn't rocket science) and it will become second nature. You'll kick yourself it's that easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your responses. Let me add a little more detail. When I last replaced my coolant, I removed the seat and tank. Replaced the coolant but then have to rig up a temp gas bottle to run the engine and burp the system. I was wondering couldn't you just avoid removing the seat and tank and just replace the coolant via the overflow tube?

And second question: Why do some guys suggest first removing the speedo cluster when removing the tank and others recommend removing the tank with the speedo cluster attached?

Thanks!

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
And second question: Why do some guys suggest first removing the speedo cluster when removing the tank and others recommend removing the tank with the speedo cluster attached?

Thanks!
I pull the cluster and put it in a crown royal bag and hang it off the bike....there have been instances where those that disconnected the green connector ,,bent the pins when reconnect. And fubared things.....alot of us do not unplug the GREEN CONNECTOR.....good luck
PS..do maintanance according to the manual or the folks here...no shortcuts.....u will have a more harmonious outcome...

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The cluster could be in the way if just pulling the tank back and raising it, leaving the fuel lines attached. A piece of wood or PVC 8" long or so, with a couple notches for the rear tank bolt are sufficient to raise it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hans, I am glad you said to undo the three screws in the cluster.

In the beginning I made the mistake of disconnecting the plug under the tank. That was OK until the second time. After that it would come unplugged. I zip tied it and discovered the removal of the three screws for the cluster was easier plus I would not have broken the plug under the tank.

Oh well, 100,000+ miles later it still works with zip tie still in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts