Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out wasting gas yesterday and stopped twenty miles after that little yellow light came for more go-go juice. A middle aged man, politely, asked me if the bike was a Harley. I said no sir but in 2002 this bike was the biggest, baddest production V-twin on the planet. (See . . I have been reading your posts.)

He said that he'd notice my HD belt buckle and thought it was a HD. (Even though the bike has Honda stamped all over it. Go figure.) That buckle I purchased in that border town across from El Paso in 1986. Not the fanciest but engraved Mexican silver with turquoise and corral splashed here and there. I lost this buckle for about twenty years, or so, and then we found it when we moved to Tucson in 2007. I will wear it regardless of what I ride until I drop over. It ties me to some damn good memories on my shovelheads. Some bad ones too. But I digress.

I proceeded to tell him that Honda was a division of Harley-Davidson and that the company name was made up using letters from the parent company. He said really? I did not know that. I said no I'm just funning with you. We both had a good laugh.

Ah . . fun at the pump.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
My niece keeps sending me Harley shirts for Bday even though I tell her I ride a Honda. She says that Harley has the best shirts so that's what she will keep giving me!

Dan

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My niece keeps sending me Harley shirts for Bday even though I tell her I ride a Honda. She says that Harley has the best shirts so that's what she will keep giving me!

Dan

Very expensive t-shirts, but some nice ones. The selection of Honda shirts is pretty slim these days. Besides the name doesn’t matter because the gift means she is thinking about you and cares enough to get you a shirt.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have a few Harley shirts that have been given to me over the years. I wear them,,,,, just not when I'm out riding!!!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I wear mine when riding :grin2:

As well you should, my friend. Harley shirts ALWAYS look better on riders that are actually ON Harleys....

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
We wore Harley t-shirts to Milwaukee at the Harley Museum, on our Gl1800 Gold Wing.
Really, it's whatever is next in the closet at the time.

I have a whole closet full of Victory t-shirts. They used to give them out when you test-rode a new Victory.

We have a dealer in the St. Louis area that sells Triumph, Ducati, KTM. Their t-shirts are running $40

·
Registered
662 Posts
Harleys were pretty rare here in the late 70,s early 80,s because of the exchange rate. Some wag tried to start the "Harley T shirt owners club". When you spoke of it you said T shirt in a stage whisper. There were stacks of t shirts being worn but not many Harleys ridden.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Harleys were pretty rare here in the late 70,s early 80,s because of the exchange rate. Some wag tried to start the "Harley T shirt owners club". When you spoke of it you said T shirt in a stage whisper. There were stacks of t shirts being worn but not many Harleys ridden.
One of my Harley t-shirt collection came from a guy I met while camping in Custer, SD for the 75th Anniversary of Sturgis rally. The guy, his wife, and all their friends had been meeting at the same campground for the past eight years during the rally. He works for the government over in the sand box and the shirt he gave me is from Harley Davidson of U.A.E Abu Dhabi.

Dan

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
No end to the general public misconceptions

It's always entertaining when someone mistakes your VTX for a Harley. I had an old man swear he thought my bike was an Indian. I had another guy ask me what kind of Harley my bike was and when I told him, "It's a Honda" he laughed and said, "Very funny, I know a Harley when I see one." When I said, "It's a VTX 1300" he nodded and told how Harley was his favorite bike. I'd bet he told someone he'd seen the new Harley VTX 1300. :wink2::roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts