Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new pair of boots that I have not worn much because the toes are too thick to get under the gear shift pedal of my VTX1300C. You would think there is a way to adjust the pedal up just a bit but I am not touching it until I know what I am doing.

·
Old Goat
25,112 Posts
Follow the linkage....Pull the rear cover should be a splined shaft that u can reposition the linkage....at least u can on a R..should be the same....good luck

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
ALL the shift linkages are the same, the rod fits over a splined shaft coming out of the case. Just use a Sharpie to mark where it was, then move it a tooth or 2 to where you want it. I had the same issue when I got my Tourmaster riding boots. Wasn't enough clearance between my engine guard and the shifter to get my toe in w/o missing shifts.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
tried and true.. Honda has been doing the above linkage since the early 1960's

:)

·
Registered
7,157 Posts

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
You can do fine adjustments with the linkage, or on the shifter shaft.
My new boots were higher so the shift would not return to the center.
#7 is a Left hand thread. #14 is standard Right hand thread.
Loosen nuts, turn the rod #11 a slight amount, snug nuts and see if it works.
May want to use a ruler to see where it is at from the ground and add 1/4" or 3/8" up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes!

Behind the plastic left engine cover there is a long threaded rod. On each end of the rod is a locknut. This rod is threaded at both ends, the rear of the rod is threaded opposite of normal, this way when the rod is rotated (once lock nuts are loosened) it either raises or lowers the shift pedal height.

So it's... cover off, lock nuts loosened, rod rotated (either up or down), lock nuts tightened, cover replaced.

Good luck, but you wont need it, it's easy peasy..:D

·
Old Goat
25,112 Posts
6.. post basically saying the same thing...I hope he gets it....:)

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
6.. post basically saying the same thing...I hope it he gets it....:)
Hans nailed it. i just wanted to put it into laymans terms to put the OP further at ease about doing it. It would be a hard thing to screw up. Just dont over tighten anything, nice and snug will do it. (y)

vs a vs, goodandtight method... 😁

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My son has the same problem with his Shadow Spirit but I see no screws to take the cover off.

·
Registered
11,693 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
ALL the shift linkages are the same, the rod fits over a splined shaft coming out of the case. Just use a Sharpie to mark where it was, then move it a tooth or 2 to where you want it. I had the same issue when I got my Tourmaster riding boots. Wasn't enough clearance between my engine guard and the shifter to get my toe in w/o missing shifts.
Get a heel-toe. Problem solved.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just bought an 1800N and a previous owner had cut the heel shifter part off. First thing I did was purchase a new OEM one. I could barely get my toe under the bar.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did this. ^^
Moving the spline one tooth raised the shift lever approximately 3/4 in. higher.
For smaller adjustments, adjust the rod.
BTW heal/toe shifters are designed to use with boards. That said, do whatever works for you.

Reactions: rangers4u and TennX

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I did this. ^^
Moving the spline one tooth raised the shift lever approximately 3/4 in. higher.
For smaller adjustments, adjust the rod.
BTW heal/toe shifters are designed to use with boards. That said, do whatever works for you.
You should never have to change the position of the lever on the splined shaft (main shifting shaft). If you are messing with that something else is wrong or it was removed/installed incorrectly previously.

I have size 16 boots (enormous) and i was able to get the pedal raised more than enough to handle my foot by merely adjusting the pedal height threaded rod (as i explained earlier).

I can't believe we are still talking about this, it's about as easy as throwing a ball against the wall ...:D

Instructions on how to raise/lower the shift pedal on a VTX 1300 C/R/S are in the basic owner's manual, it's a very common thing to adjust on the bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I often wear steel toe boots and there wasn't enough adjustment in the linkage. Moving it one spline was perfect. You really don't need to mark the starting point because you're reinstalling it where you want it re of starting point.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I often wear steel toe boots and there wasn't enough adjustment in the linkage. Moving it one spline was perfect. You really don't need to mark the starting point because you're reinstalling it where you want it re of starting point.
Hey i am bored.... so if you have time in this busy pandemic.... take a pic of that boot under your shift pedal, it may be the closest i'll ever get to see Frankensteins boots :sneaky: 🤪:LOL::ROFLMAO::sleep: Seriously i'd like to see that with my own eyes in a pic. We're talking major clodhoppers (i thought i had those).... :oops:o_O:censored:

Anyway, the whole story reminds me of someone designing a bathroom around a faucet, type thing.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts