Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Anyway, the whole story reminds me of someone designing a bathroom around a faucet, type thing.
That's what I am think now. Just get a different pair of shoes. As easy some proclaim this to be, which I am sure it is, I won't risk messing with it.

·
Old Goat
25,138 Posts
That's what I am think now. Just get a different pair of shoes. As easy some proclaim this to be, which I am sure it is, I won't risk messing with it.
FYI..we did it on my brothers and he is a happy camper(13 boot)....u dont do it ..your selling yourself and the forum intel short...good luck

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The hardest part is taking the side cover off to get to the linkage. Moving a spline takes maybe a minute or 2, tops.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're way overthinking it. You will literally be able to do this blindfolded after doing it once.

·
Old Goat
25,138 Posts
Once again no offense.....But For me heres the pisser....time and time again.....folks Come on here....ask for help...get tried and true answers and then choose to ignore...It...And with The help on here u can take it to the bank....I guess folks know their limitations.....good luck OPIE....

Reactions: StarrRider

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
wow, first i've seen an attempt to strongarm someone into bastardizing their bike. it's like, "take my advice or we'll come get ya in the middle of the night"... lol He should ask you guys how many have your bike modified this way right now, huh...ZERO 😄

i call for a full review with PICS of the OP's current shift pedal set-up (with BOOT in pic). He may be looking for 1-2 inches of space under the pedal with his boot, which is far too much. You'd have to lift your entire leg every time you shift. Pedal has about an inch freeplay to begin with, pedal supposed to sit right above the foot, you should be able to feel it lightly touching your foot/boot/shoe.

Now if someone is disabled and had to wear a prosthetic of some sort, or an leg brace and a boot..... then i could see possibly modiying the splined shaft lever position as a solution.

Maybe there is a valid reason to do it in this case, i just havent heard it yet.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Once again no offense.....But For me heres the pisser....time and time again.....folks Come on here....ask for help...get tried and true answers and then choose to ignore...It...And with The help on here u can take it to the bank....I guess folks know their limitations.....good luck OPIE....
Ha, agreed..... X 2000:)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
wow, first i've seen an attempt to strongarm someone into bastardizing their bike. it's like, "take my advice or we'll come get ya in the middle of the night"... lol He should ask you guys how many have your bike modified this way right now, huh...ZERO 😄

i call for a full review with PICS of the OP's current shift pedal set-up (with BOOT in pic). He may be looking for 1-2 inches of space under the pedal with his boot, which is far too much. You'd have to lift your entire leg every time you shift. Pedal has about an inch freeplay to begin with, pedal supposed to sit right above the foot, you should be able to feel it lightly touching your foot/boot/shoe.

Now if someone is disabled and had to wear a prosthetic of some sort, or an leg brace and a boot..... then i could see possibly modiying the splined shaft lever position as a solution.

Maybe there is a valid reason to do it in this case, i just havent heard it yet.
Wow, he just said ignore...did I see bastardize mentioned in his comment?

Your previous thread is waiting.....

:cool::p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, he just said ignore...did I see bastardize mentioned in his comment?
It's a pretty radical move that is hard to do the right way. And there is enough adjustment room to do it right. Not with my setup and boots so I bastardized mine.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
we've all seen pics of an old bike in someone's backyard with the tree growing through it, we wonder how did the bike end up that way... that bike was once shiny and brand new, sat in s showroom...and now look at it...:oops:
it wasnt overnight, it took baby-steps, little by little, it had to start somewhere...;)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts

You are of course entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on here. I, for one, actually HAVE done it, so that right there kills your argument that NO ONE has done it. And, for the record, the only reason I had to do it was because of the configuration of the NC Paladins at their bottom, is closer to the frame than at the top, making toe clearance too tight to shift without doing the 1 spline move. It absolutely does NOT affect anything else, so how is it butchering or bastardizing someone's bike? I will usually second you on anything, but this time, no.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You are of course entitled to your opinion, as is everyone on here. I, for one, actually HAVE done it, so that right there kills your argument that NO ONE has done it. And, for the record, the only reason I had to do it was because of the configuration of the NC Paladins at their bottom, is closer to the frame than at the top, making toe clearance too tight to shift without doing the 1 spline move. It absolutely does NOT affect anything else, so how is it butchering or bastardizing someone's bike? I will usually second you on anything, but this time, no.
I said "how many have your bike modified this way right now ", so your bike has this mod right now?

Hey do what you want to your bike but like i said i havent heard a valid (to me) reason to do it yet.

I've done it before myself back in the 70's, it was a mistake then and it is today. No reason...not really. like i said if we were able to "see in" to all the details there would be something wrong going on...ie pedal height etc. Sorry guys, i stick by what i have said all along here.

·
Old Goat
25,138 Posts
Can I get a “Amen” and while I’m at it...how about a “here,here”(y)

PS...somebody do a courtesy flush ...some of this thread is hung in the crapper....;)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You may have picked-up on the subtle point that i'm not a fan of re-positioning the splined shaft lever. 😜

·
Registered
30 Posts
You may have picked-up on the subtle point that i'm not a fan of re-positioning the splined shaft lever. 😜
Being so dug in on something so trivial diminishes your credibility on everything else. Being proud of being dug in speaks volumes as well. Not really the best look.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Cute pix. Have nothing to do with moving a spline 1 tooth to fit a boot.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
OP already said he was he was not going to change that and maybe find another pair of boots to wear for riding. I think that is his best move.
Again, i have size 16 boots, one pair is also steel toed, they are humongous and tall at the toe area, i was able to adjust the pedal normally. OP doesn't seem interested in showing pics of his boots or one of the boots held in relation to the pedal in a pic. That would clear this up rather quickly, but oh well.

Also the OP came across as somewhat of a newb when it comes to working of the VTX, i thought it was a mistake to steer him towords such a mod/change to the recommended pedal adjustment method, again assuming his boots are unreasonably tall in the toe area, something easily avoided by getting a normal pair of boots.

vs a vs Bathroom built around a faucet...

This is just my opinion, you can have yours as well.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Take the cover off,,,Raaat Here!:)

Reactions: rangers4u
21 - 40 of 58 Posts