41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Old Goat
25,137 Posts
This thread and HOP’s reminds me of my pup with the proverbial bone....:eek:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I had a VTX 1300R maybe it's different on a C model with pegs, probably is.

So if the pedal is adjusted all the way up using the normal recommended way of doing that (lock nuts/rotate rod) then it sounds like there is a secondary method to go even further up with the pedal.

Ok so maybe the "C" is different than the "R" and won't go as high, or you need more room using pegs vs floorboards.

I am open minded, maybe the "C" is different. Good luck to the OP either way, the goal is to ~Ride~ 😀

ps: Doctor dolittle's video didn't add validity to the method, we all knew it could be done.
i can show videos all day long of things being done wrong or for the wrong reasons.

·
Old Goat
25,137 Posts
Ive often wondered why that shaft is splined...I guess the Honda Engineers didnt know any better....I know,I know ..adding to the bone chewing..... (y) ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I may not be done yet. :)

This lad had to bastardize his bike 'cause the linkage adjust. was not enuff?;)

Reactions: rangers4u and TennX

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You guys gotta understand something.... going stir crazy on lockdown, boredom sets in.

I like me a good argue to get the brain going. You have to admit i made a good case (and still stand by it) :p

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
My C, of course, came with foot pegs. I adjusted it 1 tooth on the spline. I removed the pegs, and installed Kury mini boards. Same difference in the height with relation of my booted foot to the shifter. There goes that contradiction as well.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
152 Posts
Was looking at the shifter while doing a oil change the other day.

In honor of this thread, did absolutely nothing but spray the moving parts.

Now, lowering the Brake pedal might be the next discussion.

Reactions: VTXArizona

·
Registered
30 Posts
Take the cover off,,,Raaat Here!:)

That bike is now going to sprout a tree. Maybe that is the price you pay to fit a bike to your needs?
Seems unreasonable compared to ditching your $200 comfortable boots though and wearing your regular toes, except work......... hmmmm, what to do????????? Bastardized bike with a tree growing through it vs trying to hook the shifter with the soul of the boot, tough choice, I went with buying a chainsaw and the forever bastardized bike and irreversible damage.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My fail was focusing only on the R model, the C is obviously different. Would still like to see the Boot/Pedal pic but i guess it's to hard to carry one boot out to the bike and take a pic of it with your phone. Noticed the video's shown were all the C model.... no R's, that's an indicator right there.

Cause i am imagining one of Frankenstiens boots!!! Got to SEE it!

Lot of it comes from me working on bikes when i was 12-14yo.... and in particular i had a traumatic experience with this very issue, YES...the splined shaft and lever... it was corroded on there and needed a wheel puller to get it off, ended up being a nightmare, it was all scratched up afterwards as i recall.

It's like the time i thought i would change the clutch plates on my 1981 Subaru and didnt use a clutch alignment tool, ended up having it towed to the dealer to be fixed.... mechanic told me i was lucky i didnt crack the housing.
So i have a phobia about dropping trannies now, stems from traumatic childhood/youth memories.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My fail was focusing only on the R model, the C is obviously different. Would still like to see the Boot/Pedal pic but i guess it's to hard to carry one boot out to the bike and take a pic of it with your phone. Noticed the video's shown were all the C model.... no R's, that's an indicator right there.

Cause i am imagining one of Frankenstiens boots!!! Got to SEE it!

Lot of it comes from me working on bikes when i was 12-14yo.... and in particular i had a traumatic experience with this very issue, YES...the splined shaft and lever... it was corroded on there and needed a wheel puller to get it off, ended up being a nightmare, it was all scratched up afterwards as i recall.

It's like the time i thought i would change the clutch plates on my 1981 Subaru and didnt use a clutch alignment tool, ended up having it towed to the dealer to be fixed.... mechanic told me i was lucky i didnt crack the bell housing.
So i have a phobia about dropping trannies now, stems from traumatic childhood/youth memories.
Mine is a C with forward control relocate and floorboards. Why would I need to show a pic of my boot under the shifter? It didn't fit and was a pain in the ass trying to use the edge of the soul. The splines are there for a reason, to make it adjustable. Moral of the story is all these bikes are different and using the tools available to make them comfortable is more normal than the exception.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Mine is a C with forward control relocate and floorboards. Why would I need to show a pic of my boot under the shifter? It didn't fit and was a pain in the ass trying to use the edge of the soul. The splines are there for a reason, to make it adjustable. Moral of the story is all these bikes are different and using the tools available to make them comfortable is more normal than the exception.
Not you, the OP... it's always been about the OP. (Shredder)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
What a crock. If the shaft was made for a single position it would be keyed, or have (odd) missing spline. You could install the lever in any 'clock' position under the sun and it would still work the same. CCW to 1st (viewed from right side), CW to up shift. Makes no difference whatsoever. There was a cat years ago that converted to foot clutch hand shift. His "shifter" was clocked on the shaft at 12 oclock. I don't get what you are not getting.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I was talking about the VTX 1300R and not with "mini" floorboards...lol

Big Manly floorboards! 😁
My mini's were given to me at a tech session 2 years ago. FWIW, they are more comfortable on the feet than the pegs. Enjoyed engaging you in this discussion. No harm, no foul.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts