Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I need to vent :roll:

Is the aftermarket world for the VTX dying?? It seems that most of the parts we were able to get just a year ago are no longer available :shock: :?: Not sure Why :idea: Is Honda having that much trouble selling VTX's?? I see new bikes every day on the road, We are seeing NEW Members every day here on the VTXOA.. So what gives??? It seems there is a market, right?? If bikes are selling and We have New Members :!:

Most of the folks who have owned their bikes for over 3-4 years are now paying them off and wanting to Custominze their Bike :!: :!: So there seems to be $$$$ out there, And some folfs have been waiting and Now have the $$ and want to do some nice cool customs.. So why is everyone dropping the parts??

I am just Lost in this?? Is it really that bad?? It seems if U want to have a Custom Bike, U better get a Harley or Simular Bike..

I Love My Bike..

But, Sorry not being able to do other Mods :roll: :roll: Its just getting old...

Oh Well Rant Over....

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
From everything I have seen, read and experienced, the VTX 1800 is a 100 k. mile plus scooter ...

The metric market seems to be set up to offer more variety of models and, consequently, less need for "aftermarket" to personalize the scoot you want to ride ...

There's plenty of folks out there that will do custom work for a reasonable price ...

... and there are more "from the ground up" custom builders that most everyone has access to because of the internet ...

... so ...

In the long run ...

You can truly "customize" rather than "personalize" with bolt on aftermarket and still have a great riding scoot if you don't "mess" with the basics ... which are close to perfect off the floor and out the door ...

... without the "need" for a lot of "aftermarket" in a quickly changing and expanding metric community ...

In the long run, the "metric" community will give you the ride you want at a price you can afford ... and a good dollar value ...

If that's what "one" wants ...

... or ...

... you can always buy a hardley ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I’m not actively looking at aftermarket stuff much anymore, so what have you not been able to get that was available last year?

Just my opinion, but I think a lot of the parts people move on to the next big thing and the VTX is not it. This is only meant as an observation (nothing more) but even Hal and LaMonster have shifted some focus to the M109. Its smart business, so I’m not surprised about your observation.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
"I Love My Bike,Sorry, its just getting old... "

The market Honda had for the VTX is saturated. Not to say there aren't new buyers. Its just not in the numbers that it was.

Honda has done little to give people who love the VTX a reason to trade up. Most have added all or most of the after market accessories they want. As crew said most people are looking to customize (or sale) now.

I think this the usual course for any model. IndyIN's post hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Kevin Kuiper said:

Is the aftermarket world for the VTX dying?? It seems that most of the parts we were able to get just a year ago are no longer available :shock: :?: Not sure Why :idea: Is Honda having that much trouble selling VTX's?? I see new bikes every day on the road, We are seeing NEW Members every day here on the VTXOA.. So what gives??? It seems there is a market, right?? If bikes are selling and We have New Members :!:

Most of the folks who have owned their bikes for over 3-4 years are now paying them off and wanting to Custominze their Bike :!: :!: So there seems to be $$$$ out there, And some folfs have been waiting and Now have the $$ and want to do some nice cool customs.. So why is everyone dropping the parts??

I am just Lost in this?? Is it really that bad?? It seems if U want to have a Custom Bike, U better get a Harley or Simular Bike..

I Love My Bike..

But, Sorry not being able to do other Mods :roll: :roll: Its just getting old...

Oh Well Rant Over....

i'm with you bro..why is no one making the left sided brake or the down under rear caliper bracket any more :cry: :cry: :cry:

i agree, there has to be a market for this stuff with all the vtx's on the road :!: :!: :!:

·
Registered
459 Posts
1st question, why are you so worried about how many accessories are selling and how do you know if they are or aren't selling? Like the other guy said, what can't you get now that you could get a year or 2 ago?

The VTX is old news, there are bigger, better, & faster things out there now. I can say that cause I still have mine. Why would I drop $1000's into something that's never going to be valued more than it is now with or without a lot of extra purdy stuff on it or a fancy paint job. Its black and will stay black as long as I own it and I will not drop another cent into it on mods. It rides and looks fine the way it is. Most of the aftermarket accessories are over priced and junk with no functionality. Why would anyone drop $1000's worth of chromed plastic and cheap metal into a bike with and average used value of $5-7 thou.

·
3,915 Posts
My 2 cents.
In December of 2005 I bought a brand new out of the box VTX1800C that was manufatured in Nov of 2003. The dealer told me on the quiet that Honda approached him with a deal at the beginning of '05 that if he bought at least 50 '04 vtx's they would knock off $3,000 -,+ per copy. Honda said they were having trouble selling. My dealer bit. he bought a ton of these, thinking he would fire sale some and make a killing on some of the others. Well, I don't know how many he bought but, at the end of '05 he still had around 50 bikes left. I bought one because it was such a good deal and I had been looking at used for over a year until I stumbled on this situation.

I love my X and I'm never selling it. But, My guy told me then, the bloom was off the apple back in '05. I'm not a motorcycle business prognosticator but, the after market probably knows these trends and they want to jump off before they are hung with a lot of inventory they may never sell.

A lot of us VTX Die Hards might stick with our bikes till they become vintage. But, the Metric business changes so often. I like the new Victories and I'm thinking of a Polaris addition down the line. Can Am is coming out with the 3 wheeler(looks interesting) etc. etc.

HD has their customers trained to not expect too much in the way of model change. They add a new model occasionally or a different motor configuration. So, It's likely the Fat boy you bought 10 years ago is pretty similar to the one they are selling today and 10 years from now. So, aftermarket parts are always going to be available.
Certain Bikes create a cult following --- look at the Valkary. I think the VTX will fall into that category.
Just my opinion and opinions vary :?

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
srtscu said:
1st question, why are you so worried about how many accessories are selling and how do you know if they are or aren't selling? Like the other guy said, what can't you get now that you could get a year or 2 ago?

The VTX is old news, there are bigger, better, & faster things out there now. I can say that cause I still have mine. Why would I drop $1000's into something that's never going to be valued more than it is now with or without a lot of extra purdy stuff on it or a fancy paint job. Its black and will stay black as long as I own it and I will not drop another cent into it on mods. It rides and looks fine the way it is. Most of the aftermarket accessories are over priced and junk with no functionality. Why would anyone drop $1000's worth of chromed plastic and cheap metal into a bike with and average used value of $5-7 thou.
I am sorry U feel that way..There are a Few Items I My Self would Like as well as MANY Others!! I have Been asked to No End, Were can I get this, or that?? All I can say, It's No Longer Made :( There are Some Folks Who Do Not mind spending $$$ on their Bikes, Like My Self :wink:

I am Very Glad U are Happy with a Stock Bike :D :D Some Folks Like Change as well..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Kevin Kuiper said:
srtscu said:

I am sorry U feel that way..There are a Few Items I My Self would Like as well as MANY Others!! I have Been asked to No End, Were can I get this, or that?? All I can say, It's No Longer Made :( There are Some Folks Who Do Not mind spending $$$ on their Bikes, Like My Self :wink:

I am Very Glad U are Happy with a Stock Bike :D :D Some Folks Like Change as well..
Didn't say I have no mods, I said I will not add anymore. The mods I have are functional like backrest & rack and some performance mods. You still don't say whats not available for the bike anymore. Last time I perused the accessories for this bike there were more than I cared to look at. Tell me what you cant find and I will happily search for the item for you.. I will forward you the link where I found it so you can buy it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Kevin Kuiper said:

I Love My Bike..

Oh Well Rant Over....
Saw your post and, more importantly, in the photo of your bike, I see your handlebar bag. I have a 1300C with LeatherLyke saddle bags that would seem to go very well with your handlebar bag.
Got the info on the bag for me?

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LCLRRTVTX1300c said:
Kevin Kuiper said:

I Love My Bike..

Oh Well Rant Over....
Saw your post and, more importantly, in the photo of your bike, I see your handlebar bag. I have a 1300C with LeatherLyke saddle bags that would seem to go very well with your handlebar bag.
Got the info on the bag for me?
I got that Bag from KewlMetal.. Thats One item I believe is No Longer available.. But Heck, call and ask :idea:
It goes very nice with their (KewlMetal) Bag Mount..

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
srtscu said:
Kevin Kuiper said:
srtscu said:

Didn't say I have no mods, I said I will not add anymore. The mods I have are functional like backrest & rack and some performance mods. You still don't say whats not available for the bike anymore. Last time I perused the accessories for this bike there were more than I cared to look at. Tell me what you cant find and I will happily search for the item for you.. I will forward you the link where I found it so you can buy it.
Well OK!! I have Been Looking for a LSB Set Up!! I have a Few Others Looking for the Down Under Brackets, and the No-Hose Reservoir.. For Starters :wink: LMK What U Find , OK!! ThankX!!

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Kevin Kuiper said:
srtscu said:
[quote="Kevin Kuiper":2afsmye1]
srtscu said:

Well OK!! I have Been Looking for a LSB Set Up!! I have a Few Others Looking for the Down Under Brackets, and the No-Hose Reservoir.. For Starters :wink: LMK What U Find , OK!! ThankX!![/quote:2afsmye1]

Could you be more specific, I dont know exactly what you mean

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Let's face it Kevin, there's only so much chrome you can put on it! :wink:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
srtscu said:

sounds like an interesting argument...but I wouldn't drop $1000's on aftermarket Harley either.

I spent $1000's on my vtx, it being my first big motorcycle that was truly mine. I didn't know what direction to go with on my mods, so I've owned several seats, I've gone through windshields, some crappy bags, little doo dads, progressives front/rear, drag bars, riser mods, now mini apes, etc etc etc.

This will be the last bike I ever do that too. I'd rather own a whole other bike for the money I spent. Or better yet, I'd rather save that money and buy a house. I'm debt free, I don't owe anyone anything.

But there might be something else at work as well...

We're at a very low un-employment rate, economy has been trucking along, housing was on fire...

I think some people are already prepping for the other shoe to drop.

I know I am.

e

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I stopped by a Honda dealer in Wenatchee today but it was closed. I rarely go to a dealer on Monday so that surprised me. I did notice something odd. I looked through the window to check out a Wing and saw a VTX with a "tour pack" in leather, similar to what you can get for a Road King. It looked pretty awesome but I could not find it on the Honda site or anywhere else. Anyone know about this? It sure seems like a new accessory to me.

spiz

·
Registered
152 Posts
Same thing happened to the Valkyrie.
My dealer still has quite a few '05 and '06 VTX's sitting on the show room floor and from what I understand, will not be getting any '07's.
I came to the party late....and almost sh*t my pants when Hal posted that notice about Honda discounting the '05 VTX $5 grand. I figure I paid about $1500. too much for my VTX1800C3 3months ago thanks to that little bit of "FU" from Honda. I'll still dress it the way I want it, it's not going anywhere.
It's very apparent that Honda is not on the same planet as the people that buy their bikes......they over-saturated the market...then they ran out of ideas. Honda needs to wake up and smell the market.
Won't be long before Hal and Lamont start paying more attention to the M109 crowd or whatever the next big thing is, and less to the VTX owners. Happened with the Valkyrie, it will happen with the VTX. Maybe not as fast because Honda is still building the VTX, but it will happen.
That's not a poke at DL, I've always been a customer,
That's just business.....

My 2 cents...

Shannon

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
It's just the motorcycle business. A lot of people have to have the biggest, baddest, newsest, etc. bike on the market. That was the VTX, but it isn't anymore. Once the hype and PR ran out, you are left with just a great motorcycle. Nothing wrong with it at all, other than it's not the king of the hill anymore. It's been this way for as long as I can remember. Pick up a 20 year old copy of cycle world or some other mag, have you even seen the bike that was the "best" back then?? The X is a great bike as were many others, but it is destined to the same fate as other Hondas, such as the V-65, CB750, CBX, CX500turbo, Valkerie, CR500, hawk GT, blackbird, etc.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts