Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On some of the older Hondas I would see "Made In USA" on the back of the seat.

I haven't see that for years, are major components like the engine american enough to carry a "Made In USA" lable? :?:

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
That term dissapeared after the government came in and said that something that has "Made in the USA" must contain a certain percentage of American made parts. I can't remember the exact percent, but it is around 65%. This is why you don't see it on HD anymore either. 8)

·
Registered
663 Posts
VTXHOGG said:
On some of the older Hondas I would see "Made In USA" on the back of the seat.

I haven't see that for years, are major components like the engine American enough to carry a "Made In USA" lable? :?:
Others have stated since Honda is incorporated in Japan, no matter how much of the bike and/or motor is made in USA, it can not be labeled 'Made in USA'.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Those "Others" should be taught the difference betten the word "in" and the word "by". The good people of Ohio may have a thought or two on that.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you look on the right side engine of the earlier Valks, Made in USA was stamped along with the S/N. H'mmm, mine doesn't though.

mike

·
Registered
663 Posts
Square Bill said:
Those "Others" should be taught the difference betten the word "in" and the word "by". The good people of Ohio may have a thought or two on that.
Your response prompted me to dig a little further. From this article I read at the FTC website http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.htmComplying with the Made In the USA Standard, it does appear as though country of incorporation is NOT considered in the use of 'Made in USA' labeling. It's use is based on a vague standard of measure defined as "all or virtually all". It takes takes quite a few pages to further define this, but it sounds like it would be pretty difficult for any motor vehicle company to use the term unqualified.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
That term dissapeared after the government came in and said that something that has "Made in the USA" must contain a certain percentage of American made parts. I can't remember the exact percent, but it is around 65%. This is why you don't see it on HD anymore either. 8)
I think it was the other way around. to carry the label "Made in the USA" it now has to be "ALL or VURTUALLY ALL" made of US products and assembled with US labor, where before it was a percentage. Here is a link with some info if anyone is interested.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/madeusa.htm

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is a topic that has been discussed a zillion times before with no definitive answer.

Some of the things Ive read here and on other boards:
:arrow: Harley is supposedly not allowed to use the Made in USA because of the % of foriegn content on thier bikes.

:arrow: Harelys DO carry a "Made in the USA" label, but it is supposedly a union label. Something like "Made in the USA-local 123 XYZ union.

:arrow: I cant find anything in regards to the whole Harley Made in the USA controversey> Ive searched the net. The FTC site. Everywhere.

:arrow: I think you'd have better luck finding the secret ingredients for KFC or Coca-cola before Harley allowed anyone to find out that [if true] they are not legally able to say "made in the USA".

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is getting away from the original question, but unless you personally have dug up the iron ore, refined it into steel, and hammered it into shape in your own garage, you can never be 100% certain that it was "Made in the USA".

We're all living in a global community. When it comes to business, the walls between countries have pretty much been completely torn down. Most major companies have offices, wharehouses, assembly plants, ect in more than one country. Harley has offices in Japan, Honda has offices in the US, and they both outsource to companies in Taiwan. I think at best a major manufacturer can claim that thier product is "Assembled in the USA". They should change all these labels to "Made on Earth".

·
Registered
665 Posts
Was looking at a couple of HD this week-end, they said Made in the USA very clearly in several places.

It didn't appear to be a union sticker or anything like that. Possibly the dealer installed these, I don't know.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
loopy said:

made in cuba...

made in jamaica.......country of origin makes a big difference. :wink:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe the mfg can't do it but would it be wrong if an owner had
"MADE IN THE USA" or "MADE IN MERRIESVILLE, Ohio" of something.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I suppose I can understand the train of thought which might have prompted this question in the first place, but in the final reckoning...does it really matter that much (if at all)? For those who may feel stung by accusations that their beloved X is of foreign origin, consider the source.

I would not ride dinosaur technology (not including one German-designed model), simply because it was made in a specific country. And the fact that I can take these 'non-specific brand of motorcycles' at a rate that will suck the paint off their tanks, gives even less credence to their boastings.

The VTX is assembled with loving (if somewhat robotic) care, in Marysville, Ohio in the US of A. Whether or not it rates or 'deserves' to have a "Made in the USA" label on it, is a moot point. Dontcha think?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
1800 Beach Mobile

I'd like an New tech 1800cc on a titanium frame to weigh in at abt 575 and sport a 6 gallon tank and 6 speeds please.......if your signed on Mr. Yamamoto? Ohhhh New Paint schemes in lipstik RED and Some funky pastels!

Your Friend, PR

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Sandman333 said:
I'd hardly call the V-Rod dinosaur technology.
The V-rod is the same level of technology used in the X. Perhaps a bit more advanced as far as total performance goes.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Re: 1800 Beach Mobile

Pale Ryder said:
I'd like an New tech 1800cc on a titanium frame to weigh in at abt 575 and sport a 6 gallon tank and 6 speeds please.......if your signed on Mr. Yamamoto? Ohhhh New Paint schemes in lipstik RED and Some funky pastels!

Your Friend, PR
That could very well be the perfect motorcycle!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts