Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas cap is leaking when the tank is filled up; a little gas runs down the tank when I slosh it.

I want a different cap that does not lock. I have no need for the lock, and it's a pain in the behind. Is there a good quality gas cap that can screw in, or somehow work with a 2002 VTX 1800C?

I see caps on revzilla but don't know what is good and what I can trust.

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spike. That's what I was wondering, what the structure of the filler hole it. What you say makes sense, I need to get a new replacement gas cap. Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Same key for ignition, gas cap and fork lock, not sure what a locksmith could do for you.. If you found a good used one, might be able to change the rubber seal on the leaky cap. When I was searching for a cap that worked as a vent (like the 1800's do), I remember finding many caps for an 1800 -- none for a 1300. You're just gonna have to Google it -- that Partzilla price is for OEM. As our bikes age, parts get harder to find and when you do find parts they are almost too expensive to be real.
Maybe yours leaks a little when full and you slosh it around because the filler cap is also the tank vent. A 1300 has a separate vent tube. (((I was looking for one like an 1800 because the vent tube in the used tank I bought was rusted closed)))

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I asked about rekeying an aftermarket cap for my 1300 rebuild and was told by a reputable auto locksmith it couldn't be done.

FWIW I have an 1800 cap & key if you're interested.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have had good luck with 3 and 1 dry lock lube on the cap. Once at the start of ridding season and again 1/2 thru the season.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can't the barrel be removed? I haven't tried it in the vtx but I removed the barrel on the cbr and replaced it with a knob so it functioned the same way just minus the key

1 - 11 of 11 Posts