Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My footwear has been a pair of harness boots since day 1. The best I can say about them is that they are OK. They provide the support and protection I need but comfortable is not how I would describe them. Even after years of use, I feel like my feet are in a pair of wooden blocks. Frankenstein would love them. I am not after just comfort. That's not enough obviously. I want both comfort and protection and support. There are a bunch of "tactical" boots I see people recommend. Not sue if they give you enough ankle support.

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
When I 1st started riding I went the Harness Boot route. Very uncomfortable, (They were a big name brand).

I never tried Tactical boots, they weren't too well known when I switched to work boots.

I wear work boots that are above the ankle. Just about everyone around here does. Might be a regional thing. (?) When you're out and about, check out what other riders are wearing.

If you're going to go that route, look for thick, non-slip, oil resistant soles, good support above the ankle. I tried to go inexpensive, a pair from wally world didn't last 1 season-the sole underneath where my foot bends split all the way across. I spent money on a well known brand. Also, with good boots, it's worth it to have them resoled.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Been wearing Carolina Engineer boots since I was a teen. Great for biking (no laces), very comfortable, and great 'no slip' soles and heels. Plus, they can be reheeled or soled. Carolina still has a made in USA line. Red Wing and Chippewa make nice versions too. Chippewa are a bit pricey, but they are VERY well made boots. The slightly taller heel makes them stay put on the pegs. Of course they're are 'riding' boots, made by all the big gear companys; just google 'motorcycle' boots. I don't like work boots for riding. Laces are unneeded complication. To easy to get 'caught' up in the hardware at the worst possible moment. The boots that have the sole and heel made from the same piece of material are not rebuildable. Might be OK for sheetrocking but, not for MCs. My opinion.

Reactions: RBS

·
Super Moderator
6,479 Posts
I wore Bates Tactical Side Zip boots for years. Still have them. But this year I wanted more protection. Bought a pair of TCX boots. Great toe, shin and ankle protection. And very comfortable.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Love me my Chippewa's and my Rocky's.

·
Registered
29,403 Posts
Been wearing Carolina Engineer boots since I was a teen. Great for biking (no laces), very comfortable, and great 'no slip' soles and heels. Plus, they can be reheeled or soled. Carolina still has a made in USA line. Red Wing and Chippewa make nice versions too. Chippewa are a bit pricey, but they are VERY well made boots. The slightly taller heel makes them stay put on the pegs. Of course they're are 'riding' boots, made by all the big gear companys; just google 'motorcycle' boots. I don't like work boots for riding. Laces are unneeded complication. To easy to get 'caught' up in the hardware at the worst possible moment. The boots that have the sole and heel made from the same piece of material are not rebuildable. Might be OK for sheetrocking but, not for MCs. My opinion.
I've never had a problem with laces.
Once I tie my boots, I tie the loops again. Plus my pants are longer, the laces are covered.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
885 Posts

I have worn these boots when riding for years. Lightweight, very comfortable and waterproof. Bought mine at Dicks on sale under $100. Looks like Belks has them on sale now under $100.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I know, I'll likely catch some flame for this, but my Harley boots are plenty comfy. The problem isn't how comfortable they are or are not, they are just heavier than the shoes or sneakers I'm used to. I always feel like I'm half ways to wearing ski boots. That's with any boot I've tried. Actual riding boots from Alpine Stars or similar, there are a ton of them out there, hitting various price points, can give that sneaker feel with the protection you need, IMO. Since I started riding, any shoe or boot I wear should be comfortable enough to walk a few miles. You just never know when you might get a flat or run low on fuel, or break down. You really don't need to be limited by your footwear choice.

·
Old Goat
25,137 Posts
I like a boot I can walk around in....but still offers protection....my tour master has been a great boot...but after 12 years their starting ti crack....will be getting another pair..good luck

·
Registered
942 Posts
When I got back to riding I wore a pair of Magnum tactical boots I had from work. They were comfortable, however they were steel toe and heavy when walking.
I picked up a pair of Xelement harness boots that I love for riding, but not so much for walking. I ride with a group that does a lot of sight seeing and sometimes involves a bit of hiking, these boots are not great for that, the heal is a touch too tall. I plan to go back to a tactical style boot when I need a new pair.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I like a boot I can walk around in....but still offers protection....my tour master has been a great boot...but after 12 years their starting ti crack....will be getting another pair..good luck
I'll second the Tourmaster boot. IDK the particular model or #, but I tried on a few brands @ Iron Pony in Westerville, O. several years ago, and these were the most comfortable to me. They look similar to the one in the above pic, with inside zips and velcro flap over the zips. Are there better boots out there? Probably. But I'm happy enough with what I bought. After an all day ride in heat, rain, etc., I can't wait to get my funky feet back into a loose-fitting loafer (thats the real me, lol).

Reactions: SUMDATX and Harkon

·
Registered
11,709 Posts
Five years of work boots and ten years of Tactical boots.
When they tactical boots came out with the side zipper that was a great improvement.
Lace up once, than zip it. One from shoe store, the rest from WW.
I added a gel sole, good to hike with, use in the woods, cut grass, etc.

I added H-D boots. They were given to me.
They were terrible, like walking on a board. Not made for walking.
Still on the shelf, no more miles since 2010. Steel toe = heavy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
63,723 Posts
I wore hiking boots. I had 2 different pair, one for the summer months that were GoreTex and breathable. The other were cold weather all leather boots. Both were water proof and they were great for riding and all day walking around. The summer boots were older model to these Vasque boots;

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
I know, I'll likely catch some flame for this, but my Harley boots are plenty comfy. The problem isn't how comfortable they are or are not, they are just heavier than the shoes or sneakers I'm used to. I always feel like I'm half ways to wearing ski boots. That's with any boot I've tried. Actual riding boots from Alpine Stars or similar, there are a ton of them out there, hitting various price points, can give that sneaker feel with the protection you need, IMO. Since I started riding, any shoe or boot I wear should be comfortable enough to walk a few miles. You just never know when you might get a flat or run low on fuel, or break down. You really don't need to be limited by your footwear choice.
How did you handle all that oil leaking? :whistle:

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
I can totally relate to foot pain from wearing too hard motorcycle boots. For years I wore steel toed engineer boots because I thought they were the best for protection and they looked retro cool. Since then I have discovered there is no excuse with the new shoe technology for putting up with foot pain, even if you like the old-school retro look of an engineer boot (as I do). My riding boots have to be what I wear at work all day so they have to be comfortable. I currently own knee high engineer boots made by Ad Tec and the comfort is not unlike wearing comfortable hiking shoes. I also own two pair of lace up side zipper calf length soft leather boots that feel like wearing tennis shoes.

In my experience even somewhat comfortable shoes can be improved on with gel inserts, so consider buying some of them at least to improve what you're currently wearing. The best ankle support is offered through lace up boots, but they are a hassle to tie and untie so an improved solution is lace up with size zippers.

Lastly, you need to also invest in comfortable socks. Wool blends are best, and a good pair are expensive but worth every penny. I'm always on the lookout for superior socks and bar none the best I've found is Darn Tough Merino Wool boot socks (expensive but worth it). Link: Darn Tough Once you get a pair of these the rest of your socks will just sit in the drawer not being used.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a pair of Red Wing high top boots that I've been wearing for past 17 years. They are waterproof leather and have found that I can wear them in comfort all day. Laces are guarantied for life. Since everyone has different feet only you can find what is best for yours. The only advice I have is that high tops work great in the rain and be sure that they are waterproof and not just water resistant. I also do some preventive maintenance each spring so that they look great and continue to keep my feet dry and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
How did you handle all that oil leaking? :whistle:
It wasn't a problem, that's why you wear boots;). After the first 3 1/2 or 4 quarts leaked out it totally stopped. No more oil leaks. I think I have another problem though. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
TennX, I think you did pret good on those boots at 12 years. They don't owe you a dime. I usually get three heels and two soles replaced on my Engineer boots before I trash them. That's about 7 years. I do maintain a A and B pair. If I'm not wearing sandals I have my boots on. I don't care for tennis shoes. So the A pair is for formal occasions, LOL, (dates, when I take the bike to church, etc.).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts