Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to consult the VTX braintrust, please? :)
I have an '03 VTX1800 with a battery related problem. I charged the battery after she refused to start. (starter wheezing and engine not turning over.) She started right up after the battery was charged. I thought that was the end of the problem. But I didn't ride right after it. The next day, when wanted to go for a ride, I find the battery drained again. :-( I put the battery tender on it. It charged for an hour. And she fires right back up again. Now, I'm wondering, do I have a dieing battry or a electric short that's drainging the battery slowly? What would recommend? BTW, it was purchased last summer. It's still under warranty. Ao, I do have an option of dropping off to a dealer.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
Could very well be a dying battery, also could be a bad battery connection. Check the battery cable connections to be sure they are tight. Still not working, take it back and have them get you a new battery, they typically last 2 years. 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jaz,

I had a very similar problem last year. I had left the battery unattended through the winter and charged it when the nice weather came around. Got one good start out of it and then it didn't have enough to crank the engine again. Put the charger on it again and got the same result. Had to buy a new battery and everything was fine.

In very general terms, the batteries apparently lose their capacity if they sit for a long period of time. So, now I leave a trickle charger on the battery over the winter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yep...had the same problem..I bought mine last june...killed the batt. over winter...AND I had a battery tender on it over the better part of the winter....

Thinking it might be the starter switch...

Check out this post...

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66504

Blurple '03 1800R
Show Chrome Sissy Bar
Willie & Max Fleetside Slant Bags
All turn signals & brake LED's (custom made)
Changed stock orange LEDs in speedo to white
Kuryakyn Slotted Spark Plug Covers
Stock everything else....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
status update

Well... I thought it was the battery, too. But I just wanted to make sure. So I pulled the battery out and took it to a dealer. They tested the batttery to be in good working condition. It seems I have a slow drain of some type. I'm going to drop the bike off at the dealer tonight. We will see what they say.
Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
323 Posts
battery life

I'm still running on my stock battery. Bike purchased June 02. Its been through 3 winters now, and still cranks strong every time.

livfree

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Livfree, same for me. Three Montana winters and the stock battery still cranking strong for me. Had bike out today as a matter of fact for a long ride! :twisted:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jaz,

Do you happen to have a lightbar on your bike ? Rumor has it that it might make the battery drain quicker, especially after the bike has started and is not being run at a high enough RPM to recharge the battery.

I have the same problem , but I'm not sure of the right answer. I know that if I ride my bike for a short ride, it has a problem starting (usually reseting my trip meter to zero). If I ride for a long time, usually at a mid-range RPM, the next engine start is no big deal.

Just an observation, but any real technical advise would be greatly appreciated by all, of course . . .

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm having a similar starting problem...but usually if I run the bike for about 10 or more miles, it starts right up. However, the longer it sits between runs, the less likely it is to start. I ordered a new Odyssey battery in hopes that will solve the problem. I don't think it's a drain problem, the electrical system is stock except for cutting the secondary air wire (I did use elcetrical tape to seal it off) JB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts