Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 VTX 1300 C. It's now at 1,200 miles, and I know the dealership says it's time to have the valves adjusted. However, I have been told by numerous people that it is just a waste of money, because they don't really do anything. So, I was wondering if anyone here could help me out with this dilema, because I know I would rather save my money. But, I want to do what's right for my bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Adam

·
Registered
47 Posts
By most accounts, you are about 600 miles overdue for the first maintenance, which is (among other things) an overall check, oil change, clutch adjustment, and, mainly, the valve adjustment. The general consensus is that at least this first service is a Good Thing to have done by the dealer, even if all your other future service is going to be done elsewhere. If nothing else, you need to do an oil change sooner rather than later to get out the metal from the seating process, whether or not you have it done by the dealer.

The valves are usually just too tight and do require adjusting. You can do it yourself by searching for numerous tutorials that are here and elsewhere, but again, the peace of mind from at least one good dealer look-over and adjustment is nice.

Of course, others will have different opinions, but I like having them do the first service.

Incidentally, that's cool that you live in Knoxville. I lived almost my whole life there until about a year ago; my family is still there and I will actually be in town in about three weeks. Which dealer do you use? I love the folks out at Mountain Adventure Honda, even if it is somewhat of a drive. Don't go to Honda of Knoxville there on Clinton Highway; they are terrible and will take you for everything they can.

·
Registered
506 Posts
anthro_vtx .... Welcome to Tampa.... Make sure you visit the Central Florida Board....

Didnt mean to hijack the thread.....

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
You want to save money? - Get a service manual and do all the maintenance yourself. It's really easy to work on.
Skipping things is not going to save anything in the long run.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
To do or not to do..................that is the question?

My local dealer told me that they don't do the valve checks at 600 miles. I did bring it in for scheduled service at that time. They said that in their experience, they open up too many engines only to find that the valves are fine.

I brought my X in about two weeks ago for it's 8000 mile service. They did do the valve adjustment then. However after taking the bike home, it didn't sound quite right. I brought it back and they agreed that they sounded too loose. It is in the shop to have them redone as we speak.

It was suggested, on this board, that some dealers put off the valve adjustment until a later date in order to charge full price on the service. I believe that they discount the first service at 50%. I looked at my 600 mile service invoice and they did indeed charge me at 50% of the full invoice total (no valve adjustment).

Food for thought! I'd like to believe that this isn't the way it is, but who knows.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I did the 600 mile check,all 4 valves were close but still needed adjustment.At 1600 miles the exhaust valves needed adjustment. I would do the valve check.

·
Registered
721 Posts
is there a certain "feel" when your riding it, that would make you
lean towards valves being adjusted, or can you only see it or hear it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!!!

In regards to Caffeinemetal's statement, no it actually doesn't feel any different from the day I picked it up from the dealership. Which is kind of why I'm almost afraid to mess with it becuase it runs so good, going along with the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But, if I'm going to risk burning a valve I should probably just bite the bullet and have them do it. Thanks everyone :wink:

Adam

·
Registered
393 Posts
Caffeinemetal said:
is there a certain "feel" when your riding it, that would make you
lean towards valves being adjusted, or can you only see it or hear it.
When they are a little bit off no, you can't really tell. When they are REALLY off you'll probably hear it.

Best bet is to follow the maintenance manual and just check them when it says too. You might not have to do anything to them but at least you checked and now where they're at.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Had the wifes checked at 600 miles they were fine. Cheked them again at 27000 intake was fine exhaust out just a hair was not really necessary what the mechanic told me. I mean, you have to use your own judgement cause if we all say it's not needed bigger than $hit yours will be the one with a problem I am told if they are out you can hear it. And as far as getting 50% off these aholes charged me $400.00 bucks for the 1st one they never got the bike back and I don't send any customers their way either, Vakve adjustments are not a warranty item

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
donnar47 said:
Had the wifes checked at 600 miles they were fine. Cheked them again at 27000 intake was fine exhaust out just a hair was not really necessary what the mechanic told me. I mean, you have to use your own judgement cause if we all say it's not needed bigger than $hit yours will be the one with a problem I am told if they are out you can hear it.
You will only hear it if they are loose. However, you will hear nothing if they are tight, which is the case with most VTXs as they move out of adjustment. BTW, 600 miles to 27000? You missed a few of the scheduled checkpoints.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.