Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the VTX 1300 physically much smaller than the VTX 1800? The reason that I ask this is because if they are very similar in size and height and length and weight, I may get the 1800 but if the 1300 is smaller in size not just motor size I may get the 1300. I think that the 1800 is huge and was hoping that the 1300 is somewhat smaller since I am vertically challanged.

·
Registered
135 Posts
center of gravity is lower also..been told the 1800 is more of a handful to turn than the 1300 8)

·
Registered
443 Posts
go to a dealer and look at them side by side....same size sitting next to each other...1800 does have an N model that is huge...its six inches taller than the rest...I had to ask the dealer what was the difference....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The answer is yes, its 2 inches shorter and about 70 odd pounds lighter.
talk to anyone who has ridden both and they will tell you the 1300 is a far better handling bike than the bigger sister :wink: :twisted:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time at the dealership deciding between the 1300 and 1800. To me the difference was huge. The 1300 was a far easier bike to ride and turn....but I think it also depends on your height and weight. I went with the 1300 and have never regretted it. Just the other day I saw a big guy(over 6'2"...200lbs plus) on a VTX1800 and he was backing the bike out of a spot...he was using quite a bit of effort...but he was well fitted to the bike. I am 5'9", 165 lbs...and the 1300 fits perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd recomend the 1300. I'm a wee 5ft 5 and WOW :p I can touch the ground with both feet. This is a first for me and that decided my choice of bike. I tried the Harley Road King but found the VTX a much nicer ride for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Two feet on Mother Earth

Shorty,
I'm 5'7" and at a stand-still, my feet are FLAT on the ground when I'm on my 1300 C. On the other hand, my riding buddy (also 5'7") bought a Harley Road King about the same time I bought my bike. I think it's funnier than sh_t to watch him at a light with his left foot flat on the pavement and the toe of his right foot strenuously outstretched to hit the ground. His butt is kicked over to the left side of the seat to accomplish this feat, and when he rides, he remains sitting with his butt left of the centerline of his seat. I'm glad I have my X......
Ride safely bro.....I am.........................joe clark :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi joe. Your friend's Road King problems sound all too familiar. When I had a go It was a toe down and a stretch for the rear brake. It was a different world on the X. Both feet down and no more stretching. The X just felt right, so much more balanced and easier to handle.

Take care, all the best, Shorty :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
1300's RULE! OK. 1800's are cool too 8)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm 6'3 and I've ridden both. There is appreciably little difference in the feel of the length. I did, however, notice a big difference in low speed and stopped hadling of the 1800. It was far more cumbersome.

I'm fine with the 1300. Never needed more power than it could provide.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeh, but you could do a wheelie a lot easier with the 1800. Also, 1800 has smoother engine - dual pin, and fuel injected and.........cost another 4 G.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted something lighter than my Valk Interstate to ride around town by myself for a 2nd bike and the 1300R fits me much better than the 1800. It has all the power I need..... althought not a Valk.... but it sure handle much better.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just go to a dealership and haul a 1300 up off the kickstand. Then try the same thing on an 1800. That should tell you whether you need to investigate further. The 1300 is just so nicely balanced and the centre of gravity is lower.

G

·
0 Posts
Chase said:
talk to anyone who has ridden both and they will tell you the 1300 is a far better handling bike than the bigger sister :wink: :twisted:
only in a parking lot..

and i believe the wieght difference is 60lbs , but once you get the 1800 moving, it is smooth as silk...with lots of balls..

G

·
0 Posts
yep...thats what i think too..

Chase said:
i have a 1300c...i rode a 1800c while shopping for a bike....the 1300 handles sOOOO much easier...feeels better ergonomicly i think..
...but the 1800 has that "license suspending" POWER.....
i need my license...:)
texascruzer

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've ridden both

1800 has tons more power, fuel inj, linked brakes, hydraulic clutch, radials, and all that. I just like the 1300's ride better. If the 2003 1800s had been on sale, I would have bought one instead of my 2004 1300, but I guess all things happen for a reason. I've got all the power I need, the carbs work fine, brakes stop very well, cable clutch is OK, and I'll switch to radials next time. Neither bike will pop a wheelie, but who cares? I don't!! Sitting side by side, it's hard to tell the difference unless you know the bikes.

Ride safely and have fun!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: I've ridden both

Xmachine said:
I've got all the power I need, the carbs work fine, brakes stop very well,
You mean you got more than one carbureator? Sheesh. I must have gotten screwed. You have to admit that the dual pin crank is a smoother engine and FI is the future. Carburaetion is the past.

I was hoping that in 05 the 1300 will be injected (mainly because of pollution issues) but...Honda decided to wait till at least 2006. Pretty soon ALL bikes will be injected and some cruisers may end up with catalitics. I just could not wait so I bought the 1300 R.

JJ

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Luci is a handfull in a parking lot
especially with a full tank.

You just get used to what you have.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts