Honda VTX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
You won't catch me going back there .... too dangerous.
As a college aged young man attending Towson University, occasionally (every couple of weeks or so) 3 or 4 of us would head down to Lexington Market with our collectively huge appetites for lunch. For those unfamiliar, that is in the middle of downtown Baltimore. The variety and quality of freshly made food there from local vendors was outstanding...the best on the planet in our minds. The atmosphere there was always lively, clean, and inviting. I only live about 30 minutes away from there now. You could not pay me to go into that neighborhood now...it is just plain scary...even during the day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I do not own an "assault rifle" so I don't know too much about them. I do know that the AR (I believe that AR does not stand for "assault rifle") is a very popular rifle. Folks love to target practice with them.What I don't understand is why would someone need a 20 - 30 round magazine? Is is because folks don't like to reload as often? I have a 1942 British 303. The magazine holds 6 rounds and only takes me about a minute or so to reload which to me is no big deal. So why the need for 20-30 rounds?

Just a question not a condemnation :nerd:

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can only hunt with the 5 rd magazines. But as to your question that's how they were originally made I believe and it lends back to the Washington and Jefferson quotes. If big brother comes after you they won't have 5-6 round clips.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
As a college aged young man attending Towson University, occasionally (every couple of weeks or so) 3 or 4 of us would head down to Lexington Market with our collectively huge appetites for lunch. For those unfamiliar, that is in the middle of downtown Baltimore. The variety and quality of freshly made food there from local vendors was outstanding...the best on the planet in our minds. The atmosphere there was always lively, clean, and inviting. I only live about 30 minutes away from there now. You could not pay me to go into that neighborhood now...it is just plain scary...even during the day.
Dan -

Wow the market reference brings back memories and there were several markets like that. Broadway market in Fells point just to name one.

10+ years ago I had a store in Fells Point, ate lunch at Broadway market almost daily. I even ran into an old childhood friend of two there. Here were are today, 10+ years later and that place is not what it once was. Even 10 years ago there were problems at night, but we closed our doors at 5 PM and made good our escape.

Going back even farther, say 50 years ago in Baltimore City....

I could walk into almost any home and put my hands on a variety of firearms. Even the Pastor of our Church had a 30-30 in his living room with ammunition not too far away. His son, a friend of mine showed it to me. Then there was my grandparents home, the one bedroom was converted into my uncle and grandfathers trophy room .... there was a large selection of firearms and ammunition in there .... all unsecured.

We had no gun control laws back then and you could walk into a neighborhood hardware store, buy paint, nails, caulk and ammunition.

Today we have so many gun control laws and the place is a mess.

Baltimore was a safer place when there were no gun control laws.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
We had no gun control laws back then and you could walk into a neighborhood hardware store, buy paint, nails, caulk and ammunition.

Today we have so many gun control laws and the place is a mess.

Baltimore was a safer place when there were no gun control laws.
Indeed!

The rapid moral and societal decay of a once great and relatively peaceful city is so profound as to be, for me, overwhelming.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I do not own an "assault rifle" so I don't know too much about them. I do know that the AR (I believe that AR does not stand for "assault rifle") is a very popular rifle. Folks love to target practice with them.What I don't understand is why would someone need a 20 - 30 round magazine? Is is because folks don't like to reload as often? I have a 1942 British 303. The magazine holds 6 rounds and only takes me about a minute or so to reload which to me is no big deal. So why the need for 20-30 rounds?

Just a question not a condemnation :nerd:
Actually the AR stands for the company that developed it, ArmaLite Rifle, not assault rifle. An AR 15 is not an assault rifle (see definition below), it is a semi auto rifle. The AR is a very versatile platform that can be built for many different calibers of ammo. It is light, accurate, versatile, and can make a very fine hunting rifle. As for why you need a 30 round mag, you need it when the other guy has 20 rounds.

as·sault ri·fle
noun
noun: assault rifle; plural noun: assault rifles

1. a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Actually the AR stands for the company that developed it, ArmaLite Rifle, not assault rifle. An AR 15 is not an assault rifle (see definition below), it is a semi auto rifle. The AR is a very versatile platform that can be built for many different calibers of ammo. It is light, accurate, versatile, and can make a very fine hunting rifle. As for why you need a 30 round mag, you need it when the other guy has 20 rounds.

as·sault ri·fle
noun
noun: assault rifle; plural noun: assault rifles

1. a rapid-fire, magazine-fed automatic rifle designed for infantry use.
Exactly!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I agree, way too late for gun control. The point was that no gun control got us to this point. Too late to change the game now. Putting guns in the hands of law abiding citizens is not the problem, the problem is that you can't tell the good guys from the bad ones. In the instance of the US, gun control is off the table, it's simply too late for that. It may in fact be too late for that anywhere in the free world. There are simply too many guns out there, in the hands of the bad guys.

When I said, "how is no gun control working for you?" I was speaking historically, not currently. Either way, it was the very freedom to own a firearm that made firearms available, illegally, on the streets. Maybe the point is moot in that now one can 3D print his own gun.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
I agree, way too late for gun control. The point was that no gun control got us to this point. Too late to change the game now. Putting guns in the hands of law abiding citizens is not the problem, the problem is that you can't tell the good guys from the bad ones. In the instance of the US, gun control is off the table, it's simply too late for that. It may in fact be too late for that anywhere in the free world. There are simply too many guns out there, in the hands of the bad guys.

When I said, "how is no gun control working for you?" I was speaking historically, not currently. Either way, it was the very freedom to own a firearm that made firearms available, illegally, on the streets. Maybe the point is moot in that now one can 3D print his own gun.
What makes you think there is No gun control???????

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Strange as it may seem. Today the news reported that all of the victims of the Orlando shooting occurred after the SWAT team breached the establishment.

·
Registered
11,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Strange as it may seem. Today the news reported that all of the victims of the Orlando shooting occurred after the SWAT team breached the establishment.
I assume you misheard this or they misspoke? Or is this being reported now?
I don't know, I just walked in a little while ago and I'm asking.
I hadn't heard anything like that, though.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
The point was that no gun control got us to this point.
There is a history of Gun Control Laws dating back to the 1930's.
Not that they have proven effective.

Laws? What's the point? We have tons of Motor Vehicle laws and yet every year, more Americans are killed by motor vehicles than by firearms.

When I said, "how is no gun control working for you?" I was speaking historically, not currently.
Historically speaking, from someone who lived it ......
Baltimore, Maryland was a much nicer and safer city when there was NO gun control. Something has changed over time, and the problem will not be resolved by gun control legislation.

Not that long ago we had a guy who wanted to do bad go into an eating establishment. Because of the laws he could not acquire a firearm, so in he goes and STABS multiple (4) people.

Then there was the case of some people who wanted to do harm to a transgendered person. Not one of those four could acquire a firearm. So they followed the person into the restroom of a McDonalds and proceeded to beat that person, nearly to death.

You see the problem is not firearms ... it goes deeper than an inanimate object.

I will only speak to Baltimore because I lived there and grew up there but here is one thing I can tell you.......

Today, in 2016 the percentage of homes with children and a SINGLE PARENT is exponentially higher than it was back when there was no gun control laws. Not that gun control laws had anything to do with it but I am trying to draw you a picture of where the real problem is.

Back in the 1960's it was nearly impossible for a school aged kid to get a drug dealer to sell marijuana to them. If they wanted it they would have to go through someone older to buy it for them. Heroin? Cocaine? Well if they could not score weed back than what chance would they have scoring anything stronger. There was not much in the way of gun control in Baltimore back. Today we have 9, 10, 11 year olds doing the dirty work for drug dealers.

When and only when, people grow the balls needed to sit down to discuss and do something about the real problems in society will progress be made. Politicians will only throw gun control laws at the problem, but we know what a failure that has been and will be. The PEOPLE need to band together, rise up in unison and DEMAND that the real problems be dealt with.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Have any ballistics reports on individual homicides been released?

One has to wonder how many were victims of 'friendly fire', if any.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
When and only when, people grow the balls needed to sit down to discuss and do something about the real problems in society will progress be made. Politicians will only throw gun control laws at the problem, but we know what a failure that has been and will be. The PEOPLE need to band together, rise up in unison and DEMAND that the real problems be dealt with.
Never happen as long as PC does not allow for peoples' feelings to be hurt. Sound silly?

Not to me.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
There is a history of Gun Control Laws dating back to the 1930's.
Not that they have proven effective.
There was an attempt at gun control, already too late IMO. Gun control will not work in the US, it's simply too late. It got that way because every law abiding citizen or criminal could acquire guns equally. Once that is the case, you cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

Laws? What's the point? We have tons of Motor Vehicle laws and yet every year, more Americans are killed by motor vehicles than by firearms.
Yeah, I suppose no laws is better. Sorry that's too sarcastic. I think I get what you are saying, but laws we need. Perhaps we need better enforcement, I dunno.

Historically speaking, from someone who lived it ......
Baltimore, Maryland was a much nicer and safer city when there was NO gun control. Something has changed over time, and the problem will not be resolved by gun control legislation.

Not that long ago we had a guy who wanted to do bad go into an eating establishment. Because of the laws he could not acquire a firearm, so in he goes and STABS multiple (4) people.
Better he had a gun? No, people have killed since the beginning of people. Killing is, and has been a part of every culture on earth at some point. That said, it is much easier for people to escape a knife than a gun ... just sayin'

Then there was the case of some people who wanted to do harm to a transgendered person. Not one of those four could acquire a firearm. So they followed the person into the restroom of a McDonalds and proceeded to beat that person, nearly to death.
I get your point, but how much worse if they got a gun?

You see the problem is not firearms ... it goes deeper than an inanimate object.
Absolutely correct, the problem is not guns, the problem is the people who use guns criminally. I 100% agree with you there. Criminals will exist as long as there is a motive for crime.

It's long since been proven that capital punishment does not work as a deterrent. I think it helps immensely to cull the bad element though. However, it is not a solution to the problem, and that's what we need to find IMHO.

I will only speak to Baltimore because I lived there and grew up there but here is one thing I can tell you.......

Today, in 2016 the percentage of homes with children and a SINGLE PARENT is exponentially higher than it was back when there was no gun control laws. Not that gun control laws had anything to do with it but I am trying to draw you a picture of where the real problem is.

Back in the 1960's it was nearly impossible for a school aged kid to get a drug dealer to sell marijuana to them. If they wanted it they would have to go through someone older to buy it for them. Heroin? Cocaine? Well if they could not score weed back than what chance would they have scoring anything stronger. There was not much in the way of gun control in Baltimore back. Today we have 9, 10, 11 year olds doing the dirty work for drug dealers.

I couldn't agree more. I do not believe gun control is the solution, only that the situation went too far before anyone tried to do anything about it. I can't speak to Baltimore, but I can tell you that although gun crime does happen where I live, it is comparatively rare when looking south of the 48th. It's not constructive to try to find a scapegoat at this point. It's guns, or it's legislation. I have said this before, I am sure I do not have the solution, but am ever willing to work towards one that makes sense.

I believe that gun control cannot work once a tipping point has been reached. Before that point, I do believe it can work. That is not to say that gun crime will never happen, just not to the extent we see today. The times are what they are, and it is far past the time for gun control to work. I suppose it is one of the costs of freedom.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
It's long since been proven that capital punishment does not work as a deterrent. I think it helps immensely to cull the bad element though.
I don't know, I can list a few people who are still alive today because capital punishment deterred their adversary! >:)

Better he had a gun? ......... That said, it is much easier for people to escape a knife than a gun ... just sayin'
If I had it in mind to kill someone, I would use a knife.
Because it is ..... "vewy vewy quiet " <--- Elmer Fudd voice.

I suppose it is one of the costs of freedom.
Freedom is expensive, the lack of freedom even more so!

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
We do not need gun control.

What we need is extremely aggressive enforcement of EXISTING LAWS !!!!

And I mean EXTREMELY AGGRESSIVE.

Capital Punishment may not be a deterrent ( but I think it is ), but it is guaranteed to cut down on recidivism ...... end the career of career criminals with finality, no retirement .... just a grave.

Liberals in the USA are a funny bunch ...... they want to ban firearms and decriminalize or legalize recreational drugs use.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Q: What is the best way to increase the number of firearms in the hands of the public ???
A: Propose more Gun Control legislation.

I hear that one vendor sold 30,000 AR15's within the first week following the Orlando shooting.

If our dear leader would keep his mouth shut .... there would be less firearms in the hands of the public.

Our dear leader is America's NUMBER ONE firearms salesperson.

On second thought maybe he should keep talking ...... more Americans need more firearms.

On a positive note .... it helps the economy and keeps gun manufacturer employees on the payroll.

Since the Orlando shooting, AR-15’s have been a popular selling item in many gun stores across the country.

An AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle that was made in 1959 by the Armalite Company.

Hunter’s Warehouse Owner Tom Engle told the FOX Business Network’s Stuart Varney, his online operation consisting of 300,000 to 400,000 weapons has sold 30,000 AR-15’s since Sunday.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts