Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hans, I've ridden down to Summerville, GA, a few times (406 miles down) to visit my wife's family. I usually get off I40 and get on 411 just outside Pigeon Forge. Had not realized how close I was to Cherohala and the Dragon. (y)
So close!!! When my son moved to NE Alabama we did a lot of riding up there.
We went through Summerville many times to get to Mentone on the other side
of Lookout Mtn.

Attachments

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Congrats Hans! That is testament to the love of riding and a good machine well cared for. Many more Oldtimer!

Reactions: Hans&Feet

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A year or two back there was a lady that had a few more miles than me. On the FB page.
Keep pedaling. Family and work make it difficult to get the miles.
My previous MC almost made it to 40k miles in 24 years.
Early retirement is how I achieved the mileage on the VTX.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Old Goat
25,544 Posts
(y)(y)............................:eek:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Congratulations my friend don't think i could ever do it but i purchased my VTX1300 because my friend had 126'000 miles on his VTX 1300 his bike ran great i was going to buy a Harley ran right out and purchased the last VTX 1300 T the dealer had it was in 2008 great bike no problems just regular care anything bigger i ask the people here on the forum for help really great bunch of people here

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Yeah. a few tips to being able to ride like that:

1. Do not work. Work is for suckers.
2. Grow callouses on your butt.
3. shave your head. If you wear a helmet your hair will be out of control. If you don't you will be more aerodynamic without it.
4. DO.NOT.HAVE.KIDS. EVER.
5. The wife may or may not support your desire to ride. If she does, she hates you. If she doesn't then you will need to divorce.
6. Move to a place where law care is included. Your grass will NEVER be cut.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A great accomplishment and your bike still looks great. You've taken care of it along the way, for sure. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and stories.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Last few years were low mileage, I was about to give up.
That really cool that you could put that many miles on a motorcycle keep it running and looking good that is something to be proud of. In my 52 years of ridding a couple dozen bikes I may be close congrats! and thanks for the help you have given me on my VTX1800T over the last few years stay safe and keep two wheels to the ground.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's a lot of miles for one bike, I'm jealous... lol In the past ten years I have put about 200,000 miles on four different bikes, (89K of it on my VTX). I too retired early and therefore had time to get out and ride a lot. Living in Southern Middle Tennessee also played a big part in being able to get out often! Hope you get another 50K, (or even 100K), out of her!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment. Your bike doesn't look any worse for the wear and neither do you. Can you list your replairs, replacements, modifications, etc. since it was new?

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That's a lot of miles for one bike, I'm jealous... lol In the past ten years I have put about 200,000 miles on four different bikes, (89K of it on my VTX). I too retired early and therefore had time to get out and ride a lot. Living in Southern Middle Tennessee also played a big part in being able to get out often! Hope you get another 50K, (or even 100K), out of her!
Back a few years rode from Russelville,AL to Nashville on NT with my nephew. A nice ride and tobacco barn was full. Tom Hendrix was still stacking rocks on the wall. 4 or 5 years ago rode to Lynchburg to visit JD twice with other VTX riders. (Bama-rides). After my son moved to Ft Payne we rode Skyline to Winchester and a few rivers/dams. My VTX has been to Tellico Plains several times. I like the Cherohala, Bald River Falls, Clingman's Dome, NewFound Gap.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Again.... Congratulations Hans. I was looking through your meticulously well kept and informative maintenance log. Impressive. Full of information for anyone wanting to get that kind of mileage out of their bikes. Tips like preventive maintenance on calipers and a surefire way of bleeding while replacing brakefluid. To detailed tire changes and valuable comments on each one it wore. Carb issues...bearings, cables, etc...the list goes on. An excellent summary of things to look for in the off season too, or while it's apart. I dont know if others have done the same but to anyone who hasn't seen it. It's well worth the time. Thank you Hans. Hats off to you sir.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Congratulations. That is quite an accomplishment. Your bike doesn't look any worse for the wear and neither do you. Can you list your replairs, replacements, modifications, etc. since it was new?
Yaesu - I have a thread in the Maintenance and Accessory Log board.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Stator and Rectifier/Regulator
OEM died at 104k miles. Shunting aka shorting R/R shorts the stator to control DC voltage.
So I purchased an aftermarket stator and a MOSFET R/R which I thought was non shorting.
It turned out to do a better job of "shorting" the stator so the end came in 190.7k miles

190,763 miles; 5/20/2019 completed install of new Rick's stator and new Shindengen SH775AA R/R
A series R/R that reduces current from the stator if less voltage needed.
Stator is unloaded, lot less heat.

Carb slide valve diaphragms died right at 93k miles and at 186k.
I went with a JBM Industries diaphragm at 186k.
The diaphragm is cheap, its the Honda Moly coated slide valve that is expensive.

I wore out a rear brake disk, I blame it on the boots!
Seems to have more heat from friction than the front. I know pipes are nearby.

I replaced drive flange bearings at 189k miles. One very notchy, the other not bad.
All Balls installed..
Wheel bearings are original.

·
Registered
385 Posts
He!!, Hans, it looks like new. And ready for another 100K. Get-r-dun (y)

21 - 40 of 53 Posts