Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

Registered
Easily done for you Jason (well, after STUFF calms down). A no doubter (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: MR VTX

Registered
Last few years were low mileage, I was about to give up.
Hans, your accomplishment is nothing short of amazing!
Keep riding as long as it is still fun.
I don't think I have logged more than 100K total and that is spread over 10 bikes (8 Hondas) and several decades. I am, however, riding much more since I retired.
Maybe I can get to 200K, if I live long enough.
Great job Hans !!

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
I feel like some people get obsessed with racking up miles at the expense of enjoying the ride.
Iron Butt people are after the miles.
I ride back roads, stop to look and take pix.
I visited the oldest structure in the next county today while going for a ride to eat.
97 miles today. Sunday we saw a larger hay baling operation. Hay rakes, round hay balers, rectangular balers and a tractor stabbing two round bales and placing them on the trailer. Today the field was bare. Stubble.
I get tapped in the back from my wife due to excessive sightseeing sometimes.
Ominous clouds blanketed the sky at the house, considered going local.
Took the scenic route to Madison. Many old mansions spared from destruction in the Civil War
due to respect from the officers that knew each other at West Point.

Registered
I feel like some people get obsessed with racking up miles at the expense of enjoying the ride.
For me the ride is like a drug, and I feel best when I get to ride most every day. Racking up the miles is one of the costs of getting my daily high... lol Two years ago I bought a Shadow Aero as a second bike because my VTX was getting too many miles on it. In the past two years I still put about 20K on the VTX, along with 35K on the Shadow! :D

Registered
Congratulations Hans. If I could do even 1/10 of your achievements I would be a proud and happy camper. 17 years and 13000 miles :(. You鈥檝e been very helpful in providing technical support. Thank you.

Registered
I get tapped in the back from my wife due to excessive sightseeing sometimes.
Careful with that, sometimes you'll go where you look :eek:

Reactions: Hans&Feet

Registered
Stator and Rectifier/Regulator
OEM died at 104k miles. Shunting aka shorting R/R shorts the stator to control DC voltage.
So I purchased an aftermarket stator and a MOSFET R/R which I thought was non shorting.
It turned out to do a better job of "shorting" the stator so the end came in 190.7k miles

190,763 miles; 5/20/2019 completed install of new Rick's stator and new Shindengen SH775AA R/R
A series R/R that reduces current from the stator if less voltage needed.
Stator is unloaded, lot less heat.

Carb slide valve diaphragms died right at 93k miles and at 186k.
I went with a JBM Industries diaphragm at 186k.
The diaphragm is cheap, its the Honda Moly coated slide valve that is expensive.

I wore out a rear brake disk, I blame it on the boots!
Seems to have more heat from friction than the front. I know pipes are nearby.

I replaced drive flange bearings at 189k miles. One very notchy, the other not bad.
All Balls installed..
Wheel bearings are original.
Not bad for that many miles!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts