Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small issue with starting. Sometimes it fires up immediately, but most of the time I get a little chugging, almost like the battery is low. Brand new battery with 310 CCA fully charged, so I'm pretty sure that's not it. Maybe starter?

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Battery could be low. Are the tripmeters resetting to zero??
What is the battery voltage while cranking?
Jumper cable to an auto with engine OFF.
Typically the decompressor makes it very easy to crank over.
Rare to have a bad starter motor.
Beezer did some work on the "Brush" ground on his 1800.
What happens if you short the + battery to the Starter motor on the starter relay.

Starter switch may need some cleaning, could be causing a drop-out.

·
Super Moderator
64,657 Posts
Brand new batteries can always have a bad cell or two inside. They will read fully charged but they won't have the strength to turn and engine over. You won't know unless you have it load tested. Napa or Autozone will do that test for you

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't have time to really dig into anything this weekend, but I did check the trip odometer. It was reading 4 miles, which I believe is accurate from when I removed the battery to replace the battery box. I turned the engine over and it didn't erase the miles. I'll do some more testing hopefully tonight.

The bike is off the road right now, it was leaking brake fluid from the clutch master, so I have it taken apart and waiting on the rebuild kits for the master and slave cylinders. There was a ton of orange goo in the slave cylinder. Rust, maybe? In any case I cleaned it out and got everything ready for the rebuild kits to arrive. I'm secretly hoping it will help with shifting from neutral to first. Usually quite a pain.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300 "R"
297 Posts
My 03 has the same problem. 95 % of the time it fires right up, but once in a while I have to hit the starter 3 or 4 short bursts before it starts. it has a new battery.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The mag switch is a Mickey Mouse POS. Change it out for a heavy duty type.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300 "R"
297 Posts
I found that if you push the starter button and release it quickly it starts up. sometimes as the battery is cranking the volts drop and not enough to start the bike. On my Gold wing, which I have owned 7 of them, when the battery is starting to get low you can crank it and it would not start, but if you short burst the starter button it started right up. many Gold wing owners know to check the battery if it is hard to start.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts